Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Can't stand tri-pods...Static, don't like to be tied down to a position.
Ben
In London, you cant run away from security guards with a tripod and most places will not let you even set one up in the street. SR is kind of necessary. I have also done well with a camera bag and rolled up sweater using the 3 second timer release as well...when needs must.

Hopefully the "pro" Pentax will have the next generation anti-shake. 4 stops anyone?

06-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Flagship model: I'm guessing a 5 FPS model, 1.3x sensor (so that the whole DA line wouldn't get shafted), vertical grip built-in, SR, weather seals, probably 14MP model (though I'm not sure where they would source the sensor for this one - Samsung?).

AF speed would probably be fixed by the SDM lenses coming out. Auto AWB is still an issue though, and I hope it gets fixed with the new models (and if possible, via firmware updates for the existing ones. )

An in-betweener for the K100 and K10 would probably be something akin to the D40x. 10MP sensor, 1.5x crop, SR, pentamirror VF, bigger buffer for continuous shooting, no SDM, no seals, no battery grip (just to differentiate it from the K10D).

And once the K100 runs its course, the entry level would be an updated K100, with the same 6MP sensor, but with probably a bigger buffer.

Ben, drop hints if someone got it right, will you? No need to tell us who it is.
06-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Just want to start a dialogue to get your impressions of what a K?D might be like when it comes out. This would be an up scale DSLR and not an entree level camera. It will happen. This we know. But I would love to see who comes closest to the reality when it does happen.
you mentioned a little while back lots of megapixels, so to my thinking that is more than current 10 and as there is only a limited supply of sensors and pentax have so far used sony sensors I'm guessing it will have the 12mp d2x sensor with 1.5 crop. (continuing sr and 'improved' sr I think is a given)

k10 has 3fps and d200 has 5 with same sensor so I think just over 4fps at 12mp.

and I think they will either just shove this in the k10 body and leave everything else as per k10 and price it around the d200's price or new body without onboard flash, inbuilt grip for that 'pro' look?? maybe but pentax like small so maybe not.

anyway hopefully pc-sync flash connector will be on it.

I expect something that is very good overall especially good value for money but I am not expected the absolute top of the line throw your d2x / 1ds in the bin type of hit (I think that is another 2 years away

Phil
06-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Pentax, just like Nikon will have no choice but to follow Sony with the sensor they bring out. What ever sensor the 2 new Sony cameras have Pentax will have. I think the K10D is that good if you put a better sensor in there and maybe beef up PRIME you'd have an awesome camera, no more said. There will probably be a K20D and a K1D out by this time next year using each of the Sony sensors. The K20D may be out by the end of the year for Christmas along with the new lenses that are promised. I believe the next camera/electronics show will be a monster.

Tim H

06-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I believe Pentax will add functionality that will appeal to professional photographers. Apart from improving sensor and other obvious and already present camera features, I would expect the addition of a high-speed wireless capability to the new body. The choice could be Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11g) link and support for immediate wireless image transfer as well as for controlling other off-camera devices (most obvious example would be off-camera flash units, but even controlling other "slave" cameras could make sense for some applications).

Just my $0.02, we shall see...
06-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #21
JMI

If you look at Pentax's history, I don't think a K?D will be earth shattering performance wise. I would imagine you would see more pixels, maybe a higher fps, but the biggest thing I have seen out of them is their "thinking outside of the box" interface. I'm an MZS owner and the user interface is so different on that camera then any other "modern" slr/dslr I have ever used.

I would guess;
12-14mp (still 1.5x crop, come on people 1.3x is a Canon/Leica thing)
3-5fps
Better direct interface (with direct buttons/dials for every setting)
Lots of Custom Settings
Magnesium Body (but no built in grip)
Pop-Up Flash!!! (The MZS and KM 9 were the only flagships to have one)

Things that I would want for myself;
10mp is fine
MZS interface with the double command dials
Custom In Camera Curves (just like nikon)
Higher Sync Speed (my D70 could sync with my Vivtar 285 at any speed)
Super Duper Clean ISO6400
Come up with some damn solution to my greasy nose leaving smudges on the LCD screen
06-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Here's another thing I'd like to see-STYLE! The mocked up 50th Anniversary model based on the guts of the K10D? Build it with the class and style of the prototype and I'd buy one so fast the money would catch on fire from the friction of movin' through the air! Why not go for the glory and build the pro model based on the style of that prototype and add all the wish list items we've all listed above? They couldn't make 'em fast enough!
Rob W
06-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No one mentioned liveview? It'd be great for manual focusing, especially w/ so many old K mount lenses in the Pentax family, even if that means autofocus is disabled (the way the Canon 1DIII works).

Besides that, I'd hope that the rumors of the 12mpix, 1.25 crop, more light sensitive Sony sensor are true. Greater dynamic range and better high ISO performance are what we need since 10-12mpix is enough for now until Canon releases the 50mpix monster :-) I'm amazed P&S cams are already up to 12mpix, so Sony might have to up their sensor to 16mpix as a "dslr feature".

Improved SR (they've already mentioned they're going to support panning in the next camera). People have said the Sony SR is a lot better so there's plenty of room for improvement.

Along w/ improved SR, we really need the old SAVOX focusing system improved so it focuses better/faster in low-light, even w/o SDM lenses.

7fps, 1/300th flash sync, 802.11n remove liveview would be nice to have so it can one-up the Canon Mark 1DIII and D200. Weatherproof flash.
Frontfocus/backfocus adjustments per lens (like the Canon 1DIII). Configurable "preferred apertures" (custom MLU like the MLU table for optimum apertures for Pentax lenses) per lens. I'm hoping they add these features as a K10D firmware update actually...should be easy to do :-)

So Ben...you are going to tell us who's closest before the K?D is released, right? How about a prize like letting the closest guesser play w/ a prototype and write up a review that is released when it's announced? ;-)

06-06-2007, 01:38 AM   #24

I mentioned liveview

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/64193-post12.html

Ben, one question: do you know if the DA* lenses are only made for a 1.5x sensor or if they could also work with a 1.3x (or even FF) sensor?
06-06-2007, 02:12 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
No one mentioned liveview? It'd be great for manual focusing, especially w/ so many old K mount lenses in the Pentax family, even if that means autofocus is disabled (the way the Canon 1DIII works).
Existing solutions are not especially good for MF.... one could say that one of the weakest points is MF...

To MF with these relatively low-resolution low-update-frequency LCD:s you have to crop the focusing area from CCD at almost 100% to the LCD. While doing this you cannot compose the picture simultaneously. And fiddling with the MF point (obviously it cannot be the center everytime), actual focusing and composing sounds very complicated to me....

No, for MF optical VF is better before they can give us even bigger LCD:s having resolution closer to the actual CCD and having refresh rate ~100-120 /s.
06-06-2007, 02:14 AM   #26

Can't stand tri-pods...Static, don't like to be tied down to a position. I like moving around the model and shoot against the intended lighting to get the "great" accident.
You couldn't do that with a tri-pod.

Ben
Ben maybe with your work you dont need tripod but I would like to see you holding camera in one position for 10+ seconds if shooting landscapes
06-06-2007, 03:08 AM   #27

I still want to know...with the bigger sensor what hapens to all our DA lenses? We have to get new ones or what?

New camera should have faster flash sync speed, more resolution, better AF, built in syncho port.
06-06-2007, 04:45 AM   #28
JMI

I can't see there being a bigger sensor, not now. To me it looked like Pentax was going for 1.5x DSLR and anything bigger would be their digital medium format stuff that you hear rumors of being canceled (personally I don't think it has).
06-06-2007, 04:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of Course

QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
Ben maybe with your work you dont need tripod but I would like to see you holding camera in one position for 10+ seconds if shooting landscapes
Of course in that situation I would use a tri-pod.
06-06-2007, 05:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

It should like a Canon 1Ds MkIII or Nikon D2Xs. But I really if Pentax will ever (be able to) make one nor there is a market for it.

Just want to start a dialogue to get your impressions of what a K?D might be like when it comes out. This would be an up scale DSLR and not an entree level camera. It will happen. This we know. But I would love to see who comes closest to the reality when it does happen.