Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Ok, so may I have a go on this... Let's see...

12-16Mp CMOS with hardware noise-reduction. APS-C size.
22 bit A/D with 16 bit RAW output.
ISO 100 - 1600 by default, with 3200 and 6400 available as options. (turned on Custom menu)
5-6 bps
30 - 1/8000 sec long-life shutter (140 000 exposures)
1/250 standard flash sync, high speed sync up to 1/8000 sec.
SD slot
20 zone multisegment metering that reads colour tones too.
11 AF points with enhanced sensitivity for the center point.
Improved AF tracking and prediction, and AF continous speed.
Live view
3" LCD, from Samsung.
Program lines in Fn menu.
Prime II digital processing unit, allows for in-camera correction for vignetting, distorsion and CA for JPEG's. (only works with Pentax own lenses). For RAW, this works with the new PhotoLab 4 software, much more automatic and clever than the current options.
3 USER modes.
JPEG engine with improved algorithms.
Tweakability of the exposure meter bias: Normal - High - Low. (Normal - as today, High - exposes after the highlights, Low - expose after the shadows).
Magnesium alloy body with the same weather sealing as today.
Improved SR with more reliability, gives 4.5 EV stop shake reduction.
Price 1 400 EUR.

I also predicts that Pentax will release optical SR in new DA Star 400 f/5.6 ED SDM, DA Star 600 f/5.6 ED and DA Star 135 - 400 f/5.6 ED SDM.
The Optical SR system gives a stabilized viewfinder image in the viewfinder, helping composition with those ultra-teles. When an OSR lens is mounted on the camera, the built-in SR system in the camera will be turned off.

Take care
R
If this is true, I would like to see Canonists expressions while comparing their "new" upgraded 40D to this.

They seem to think that 40D has new unique features and didnt like at all when they have been told that those new gimmicks are allready published by other manufacturers....

08-22-2007, 08:33 AM   #77

Hey, although I'm not usually a dreamer ... I could go along with that ...

1. Better AF performance. That would be a plus.
APS-H or FF. That would be a nice to have . But I wouldn't bet on APS-H. They just released some lenses for APS-C.
2. LiveView ? Could someone tell me what's the use for it ?! Would everyone take pictures with their Pentax just as they do with their Casio Exilim, by looking at the display ?
3. Electronic View Finder (someone said that) ? Have you ever used an EVF ? Is the most horrible VF you'll ever see. Small resolution, hard to focus... I'd go for a 100% coverage optical viewfinder (just as the one in Canon's 1Ds) instead.
4. ISO in VF. All the time
5. Dump that "Print" button. Is just a marketing tool. Put it in a menu or something

That's it...
Oh, and one more thing. Available in a month. Just over $1200 .

Later edit: oh, and another thing. Why would one use "in camera image editing" ? Isn't it hard to edit a shot in broad daylight glancing at a small 2.5" screen ?! Isn't it more confortable to do it on you monitor or lap ?
08-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Roland,
You have a history of being fairly accurate on your predictions so I hope you are on target once again. I think your price is to high. About $100 less than the Canon 40D would seem more reasonable.
Honestly I don't know, it has been more difficult to find leaks this year compared to last year. Probably due to the fact that K10D prototypes were out at the distributors and they had problems being silent. That has not happened this year.
Price, oh... prices are changing fast, indeed they are. Quite impossible to predict really.

Take care

R
08-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JollyRoger Quote
2. LiveView ? Could someone tell me what's the use for it ?! Would everyone take pictures with their Pentax just as they do with their Casio Exilim, by looking at the display ?
LiveView can show 100% of the image, that can be helpful in many situations.
I once lend the K10D to a friend of mine, she is used to Contax 100% viewfinder. She was very upset that the K10D did not have a 100% viewfinder display. Her shots were wrongly composed.

Take care
R

08-23-2007, 12:01 AM   #80
Forum Member

All I hope for is a higher sync speed. I shoot mostly action shots and having a higher (1/250) or even unlimited sync speed would be great! As much as I would like to upgrade my Ist DS to a K10D, I think I can wait for this new Pentax to arrive.
08-23-2007, 12:41 AM   #81
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
LiveView can show 100% of the image, that can be helpful in many situations.
I once lend the K10D to a friend of mine, she is used to Contax 100% viewfinder. She was very upset that the K10D did not have a 100% viewfinder display. Her shots were wrongly composed.

Take care
R
Note the qualification - Live View can show 100% - just like a optical view finder. (None of the 6 SLR's I own - 4 film - 2 digital) have 100% viewfinders. Not a big deal.

Live View ==> greater power consumption ==> hard to see in bright light ==> more batteries ==> more weight ==> fewer images per charge -- and photographers that look like P&S people on steroid holding a 200mm lens+DSLR at arms length.

The images were not composed correctly - by losing 1-2 mm of viewing area around the entire viewfinder? That I find hard to believe.

PDL
08-23-2007, 01:15 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Ok, so may I have a go on this... Let's see...

22 bit A/D with 16 bit RAW output.
ISO 100 - 1600 by default, with 3200 and 6400 available as options. (turned on Custom menu)
ETC...

ETC...

Improved AF tracking and prediction, and AF continous speed.

ETC...

ETC...

Program lines in Fn menu.

ETC...

ETC...

3 USER modes.
JPEG engine with improved algorithms.
Tweakability of the exposure meter bias: Normal - High - Low. (Normal - as today, High - exposes after the highlights, Low - expose after the shadows).

Take care
R
And, how much of this software based stuff gets put in a firmware update for the K10D? Especially after all this time saying the JPEG's were perfect - BANG - they improve the algorithms for the NEXT camera.

Considering the cost of the K10D, we at least deserve those improved algorithms.

(If your assesment of the "leaks" is accurate...)

08-23-2007, 01:43 AM   #83
and
Veteran Member

I also dont see the big thing about live view, yea the new Nikon one can be useable, since it has AF, but the canon one doesnt even have AF, then its really just a gimmick imo. Becase I wouldnt expect to be able to MF with an LCD.

But, you can count on Live View in the new Pentax dSLR. It will likely use the new sony cmos like D300 and that sensor has live view support. Everyone is has live view now, its a buzzword of course pentax marketing wants it too, nevermind if its not so usefull.
08-23-2007, 03:51 AM   #84
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
This new beast should include a new focus bracketing mode with a function to select it automatically (If one of the first tree wide open aperture are selected 1.4,1.8,2 etc whatever comes first):

three pictures would be taken with :
- Picture 1: Best AF (or MF) shot
- Picture 2: Back Focus by so much
- Picture 3: Front focus by so much

This suggestion is not to come back on FF/BF issues but it is frequent that (especially in portrait) it is not the part that you want in focus in a picture that is especially when wide open...

remember last time you took portrait pictures...

Michel
08-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice..

QuoteOriginally posted by Mitch34 Quote
This new beast should include a new focus bracketing mode with a function to select it automatically (If one of the first tree wide open aperture are selected 1.4,1.8,2 etc whatever comes first):

three pictures would be taken with :
- Picture 1: Best AF (or MF) shot
- Picture 2: Back Focus by so much
- Picture 3: Front focus by so much

This suggestion is not to come back on FF/BF issues but it is frequent that (especially in portrait) it is not the part that you want in focus in a picture that is especially when wide open...

remember last time you took portrait pictures...

Michel
Het Michel;

I really appreciate some of these recommendations. Very thought provoking...

Ben
08-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #86
Veteran Member

ok so ben are you going to send pentax back to the drawing board after their meeting today to discuss focus bracketing?

looks like we might have to wait around for a while....

8)
08-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ummmm

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
ok so ben are you going to send pentax back to the drawing board after their meeting today to discuss focus bracketing?

looks like we might have to wait around for a while....

8)
Ummmm...No. But I am sure that some very influential individuals read this forum and take seriously what you "The Members" have to say.

Ben
08-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Just a note on the Nikon D300 viewfinder and LCD.

The view finder is being spec'd at 100% frame coverage at 0.94 magnification.
The LCD is 3" at 922,000 pixels.

These are areas where Pentax needs to keep pace. The LCD on the D300 must look incredible.

Personally I would love to see Pentax release something on the lines of an MX Digital. The size and ergonomics of the MZ-5n/ZX-5n with a 100% frame coverage viewfinder. If Pentax could create the MX with such a huge bright viewfinder for 35mm film it should not be a stretch for them to create a full frame viewfinder for an APS-C sized sensor.
08-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #89

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like to see a shutter speed of 1/8000 sec or faster (I enjoy photographing hummingbirds and bees).
08-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Personally I would love to see Pentax release something on the lines of an MX Digital. The size and ergonomics of the MZ-5n/ZX-5n with a 100% frame coverage viewfinder. If Pentax could create the MX with such a huge bright viewfinder for 35mm film it should not be a stretch for them to create a full frame viewfinder for an APS-C sized sensor.
I have wanted Pentax to make a "DX" or and "MXd" for a long time. If Leica can make the M8, why can't Pentax make a camera based of a classic SLR design?
These are the specs I would like:
Based on MX body
6-8MP APS-c sensor
ISO 100-3200
1/4000th to 10 seconds and Bulb
Has no scene selections, just Av, Tv, and M.
Mirror lock up
DoF preview (lever right were it is on the MX)
RAW only
Duel SD card slots
Uncrippled KAF2 (with SDM) mount so it can meter with K and M lenses. (I would love MF only, but I realize that's not likely)
A viewfinder with very close to 100% coverage (I think the MX was only 95 or 97%) and a Split prism w/ microprism collar focus indicator.
A wheel for ISO selection where the film rewind wheel was (a real wheel with numbers on it, not an e-wheel)
A wheel for shutter speed selection (again, a real wheel)
If you set a lens Aperture to A, your in Tv. If you set it to anything else, your in Av, if you move the shutter speed and have the aperture set on a number, your in manual (with a little switch next to the shutter to put it back to Av)

All in all, this isn't a "Pro" body, it's a student body. If it could be priced at around $300-400, I think a lot of schools would go over to this for teaching.
I created a new account just to post this, but I think I'll stick around, everyone seems a lot more friendly here than at another forum that shall remain nameless. . .

~Thursday

P.S.
One last function, the ability to turn off color capturing on the sensor, it would only capture luminosity. Making it a B&W camera.