Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #91

@ Thursday.

Right on.

You've been invading my dreams.

08-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know, Thursday doesn't have such a bad idea. This would attract those that are serious about learning the art of photography...and that would translate to more "pro" photographers being exposed to something outside the C & N world. They might be more inclined to invest in future Pentax models learning on one...
08-23-2007, 09:30 PM   #93
Veteran Member

I hear you Thursday.

The reason I suggested the MZ-5n/ZX-5n was that the form factor is roughly the same size as the MX but with more modern ergonomics. The MZ/ZX even though small in size still had the AF motor and a pop up flash. I love the K10D but less weight is less weight to carry around. Keep it simple with a large viewfinder.

In another thread someone suggested a CMOS sensor from a company called Cypress. I had never heard of them before. The press release is from November 2005. It is sad nobody jumped on this sensor. It seemed to be promising. Interesting as they say the sensor does not need any microlenses. That would seem right up Leica's ally as the microlenses was one of the main problems getting the M8 out the door. But at $90 a sensor Leica may have had problems validating the $4500 price tag. $90 a sensor would help keep Pentax price competitive.
08-24-2007, 02:10 AM   #94
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Het Michel;

I really appreciate some of these recommendations. Very thought provoking...

Ben
Ben,

I wish I could be the mind behind this but here is the origin, not far from you in Paris:
| photofloue.net | photo, photoblog, labo numérique & floutitude
Philippe, who used to work permanently for Magazine Reponses Photo.
Rendons a Cesar ce qui est a Cesar.
A un de ces 4 matins sur les bords de seine peut-etre...
Michel

08-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #95
Inactive Account

Here are my wishes for the K?D. The changes that I find Pentax most likely to implement soon are marked in bold.
  • Better Dynamic Range, and/or...
  • A better way to deal with the existing dynamic range (a la Canon's Highlight Priority mode)
  • Live View (for awkward shooting angles and shooting when mirror bumping up and down is too noisy, eg. at concerts)
  • Min-Max range setting for Aperture and Shutter (just like auto range for ISO) (example: when using a f1.4 lens, tell the camera to never go lower than 2.0).
  • More megapixels (I crop a lot)
  • Always viewable ISO (as an option)
  • Always viewable EV bar (as an option)
  • Better AWB
  • 16:9 option
  • Better autofocus in low light
  • Less noise on mirror up/down
  • Focus assist lamp instead of flash
  • More precise info on remaining battery life
  • More (assignable) function buttons
  • Better high ISO performance
  • Info in viewfinder telling me which shooting mode I'm in (as an option)
08-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #96
Veteran Member

How about a K100Ds, thinner body, P/Av/Tv/M, small LCD (just to check the histogram), 10fps and ISO 6400?

I'd be happy with that. If somebody could buy it for me
08-24-2007, 05:30 AM   #97
and
Veteran Member

Id love a seperate ISO wheel, with auto and the other iso settings on it.... and of course iso visible in vf. Generally Id like more buttons. Id like to be able to to everything without using the fn button and the lcd like I need to do now. (of course not including camera setting changes)

08-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #98
Veteran Member

This might have already been mentioned but a nice feature that could also be implemented with existing cameras through firmware would be to allow the user to let the camera know what lens is being used when shake reduction is turned off. If this is already possible I have not been able to figure it out.

If possible it would be great for Pentax to optimize performance of the camera for different lenses from the screwmount Takumars, K, and M to the A lens series by the user defining what lens is on the camera.
08-28-2007, 05:23 AM   #99
Forum Member

My take

Hi all,
this is my first post here, hoping for beginners luck on my guess for the next semipro/pro body.
19 MP 30*24 cmos sensor, would be great (same pixelsize as 10 MP APS -C sensor)
ISO 100-3200
4-5 fps (maybe higher with APS-C crop) continuous shooting with jpg
Sealed body, same construction as K10D (no magnesium)
SD and CF compatibility
TTL-Flash, should be possible to have more reliable reflective metering with larger sensor.
98% viewfinder
HDMI connector
PEF, DNG, JPG and JPEG XR support
Accessory grip with WiFi

/Mats
08-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #100
Veteran Member

I think theres a good chance that you'll see the new K20D/K12D/KXXD make use of that new sony 12 MP CMOS which is totally ok if the performance is just as good in the noise dept as Canon's.

-ISO100-3200 with small increments like the K10D is nice.
-I NEED THAT STOP DOWN COUPLER!!!
-RAW+JPg mode is good
-Grip is probably guarunteed
-Maintain a good pentaprism viewfinder
08-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #101
Veteran Member

All dslr's are ugly, ergonomic disasters and basically all have same form factor: buttons sprayed around surfaces with minimal thought to user centered interaction. Except for idiosyncratic performance features, just about every manufacturers dslr is indistinguishable from each other. Typical uber bland Japanese design.

I would like to see a new form factor camera, including alot of previous suggestions above. Probably, when I get some free time, I'll design it myself and 'leak' it to the public.
08-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Something

October is looking pretty good...
08-29-2007, 11:12 AM   #103
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
October is looking pretty good...
Two more Optio's on their way?
08-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #104
and
Veteran Member

But instead of speculating, if you want to know what the K?D will be like, then just ask Ken Rockwell to review it, he will have a complete review ready for you in just a day or two and then u can find out if it will be worth waiting for or not.
08-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I see two different groups of answers here. The wish list and what the new Pentax will be like. I will not elaborate on the wish list because there is no end to that. I believe that industrial spying is alive and well and companies know what the competition is up to, most of the times. The recent announcements from Nikon and Canon, and taking in account the rumors that circulated during the past 6 months, this is what I believe the replacement of the K10D will be.

The sensor will be a new CMOS full frame sensor between 12 and 18 megapixels. The camera will have live view on the color monitor. Because of the larger sensor, the ISO will have more latitude and far less noise and the metering in dark areas will be improved. The Pentax live view will be different than the competition and maybe will have somekind of video capabilities. The body will not change much and may have the grip as an integral part of the camera body. The camera will sell around $1,300.00 in the US at first. Because of the larger sensor, a mask will be integrated so that telephotos can still be used at the 1.5 factor but at 6 megapixels instead. Wide angle lenses will of course take advantage of the full frame with no correction factor at 12, 6, or 3 megapixeld.

If the new Pentax flagship is anywhere near my predictions, I will upgrade from the K10D, no doubts.

Yvon Bourque

k10dbook home

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 08-29-2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: URL