Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #106

Why can't pentax make this?!

I know this is a rangefinder, and it sold for $2,000-3,000, but this is what the "MXd" should be. It has a mechanical shutter (has to be primed with the lever), only has Av and M mode, no AF, and every important function is displayed in analogue. Shutter speed is on the wheel, and the dials set WB, quality, show how many shots remain on the SD card, and how full the batteries are. The LCD can even swivel out and around so it is protected and out of site (there is a handy dial on the back of it that performs crop factor calculations.)
If Pentax could make this (possibly without the analogue dials as they supposedly added $500 to the cost) at a reasonable price, and give it full compatibility with pre-A lenses, they could sell them to schools, clubs, and hundreds of thousands of photographers that still have old k-mount glass sitting in a box in their closets.
If I had the money, I would buy this rangefinder in a heartbeat. I can just imagine it, with a 50mm f/1.0 as a walkaround kit.

~Thursday

08-30-2007, 12:55 AM   #107

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
October is looking pretty good...
Hi Ben, Haven't You got DA*? (it would be nice to hear what You think, samples etc.) Or there is no need for these pieces of glass because of October?
01-11-2008, 05:33 AM   #108
Busiko

K20 or K18D??

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
OK, not 13Mpxl, make it 18Mpxl instead
The idea of an 18Mpx sensor is stronger than never. And have you ever thought of an evolution of the SR system? More efficient and with new functionality, Inclination! Instead of just shift left/right or up/down a new command will make it incline
Therefore you simply can correct perspectives in camera when using WA lenses or whatever...
01-11-2008, 06:52 AM   #109

My wish list:

1. Faster and more accurate AF I know it is a contradiction in terms but we know it is possible err. nikon/canon do it already.

2. User Adjustable AF settings ( a user should be able to correct back/front focusing). User is able to save the settings on a lens by lens basis.

3. Larger sensor (1.3 crop factor) but only if current DA lenses cover the 1.3 crop factor. The reason for this is the physics... larger pixels => lower noise.

4. faster frame rate.... 5 to 8 fps and the frame rate should be adjustable. ie low,,, 3, med 5, high 8. 8 May be overkill (at least for me) but it would be nice to have at least 5fps.

5. Quieter operation over all --- Quiter af motors quieter shutter / mirror mechanism.

6. Higher eyepoint on the viewfider... but don;t mess up the viewfinder the k10 finder is too nice to muck up.

7. Smarter AF modes... e.g nearest subject, track moving subject etc... Nikon have someting of the sort and it really works well.

8. A larger / sharper screen 3" that is usable when checking sharpness. A good anti reflective system for the screen that will allow better viewing under bright sunlight. Also the screen must be highly scratch resistant.

9. Lower noise and higher iso... up to at least 3200.. I want iso3200 with the sort of noise we currently get at around 400 on a K10D .

10 DNG with compression out of the camera. In camera processing should be fast enough not to have a detrimental effect on frame rate and buffer depth.

11. Dual Card Slots (SD) with the ability to write Raw on one and jpeg on the other.

12. Buttons for WB & ISO.... ie hold a button down and turn a control wheel.

13. WB Setting display in viewfinder.

14. Flash exposure compensation display in viewfinder independent of meter display... EOS 3 has this

15. Bigger buffer and Better Write speeds to cards.

16. Separate AF Assist Lamp. (ie no need to popup flash)

17. Intervalometer accessible throught the menu. (IE TS110 cable release functions built into the firmware). This should be easy.

18. Bundled IR Remote with a gizmo to keep it permanently attached in some way e.g. to the camera strap or the base of the camera.

19. Higher res eg 16mp but not at the expense of adding noise.

20. Addon for wireless transfer to PC

21. Tetherd shooting.

22. In body 2x viewfinder magnifier that can be switched in. nice

23. Live histograms. and possibly live view.

24. Live view through a USB/wireless connection. Imagine being able to view the viewfinder display from a PDA. ALso nice would be remote control manual focusing.

25. Ability to download the camera configuration to an xml file and upload the settings to another body.

26. High flash sync speed at least 1/500.

27. Bomb proof PC-Sync socket that can will put user's mind at rest when connecting flash systems... or even better make the hot shoe take high sync voltages as well.

28. Bring back 100% compatibility with older M/K Lenses. Ie proper open aperture metering.. Even if this means inputting the maximum aperture of the lens manually, It would be nice if you could save a lens profile ie focal length max aperture etc... and when you mount the lens you simply select the lens from a menu.

29. Updat the lens line up .... Fast primes and fast zooms. (full frame) not APS-c / APS-h.. Coz i beleive that eventually Pentax will have to go full frame.
Bring back the classics like the 80-200 f/2.8 85 f1.4 300 f/2.8 400 f/2.8
and add some more 135 f/2 200 f/2 etc.

30. On the lens front the line up needs to be more coherent.. Look a nikon... 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 200-400... Just 4 pro lenses will take you from ultra wide to a 400mm tle add 1.4 tc and you in 600mm territory .

31. The pro lenses should be built to take pro use... Metal body + weather proofing

Regards

Patrick

01-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
How about something crazy like a body that takes replaceable sensors
I recall replaceable sensors came up awhile back and the problems mentioned included connectors, static proof handling, alignment, shake reduction, dust, physical access to the main board, and more.

Some of those problems have been solved in microprocessors. I have swapped CPUs in this computer a few times and the device has several hundred pins and somehow it aligns well enough to boot up!
01-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #111
Inactive Account

• Better Dynamic Range, and/or a better way to deal with the existing dynamic range (a la Canon's Highlight Priority mode) YES
  • Live View (for awkward shooting angles and shooting when mirror bumping up and down is too noisy, eg. at concerts) YES
  • Min-Max range setting for Aperture and Shutter (just like auto range for ISO) (example: when using a f1.4 lens, tell the camera to never go lower than 2.0).
  • More megapixels (I crop a lot) YES
  • Always viewable ISO (as an option)
  • Always viewable EV bar (as an option)
  • Better AWB
  • 16:9 option
  • Better autofocus in low light
  • Less noise on mirror up/down YES
  • Focus assist lamp instead of flash
  • More precise info on remaining battery life
  • More (assignable) function buttons
  • Better high ISO performance YES
  • Info in viewfinder telling me which shooting mode I'm in (as an option)

5 out of 15 wishes fulfilled ain't bad I guess, but can anyone tell me if some of the other things I've listed is in there? Some of my old wishes only need minor software tweaks...
01-24-2008, 07:03 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well it does have better AWB, so that's 6, I've heard it does have always viewable ISO as an option, so there is most likely 7, AF hasn't been replaced, but has been tweaked a bit, so there is a possible 8, and the battery life and shooting mode in the viewfinder haven't been mentioned at all but may be possible so that may give you a total as high as 9 or 10.

01-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Well it does have better AWB, so that's 6, I've heard it does have always viewable ISO as an option, so there is most likely 7, AF hasn't been replaced, but has been tweaked a bit, so there is a possible 8, and the battery life and shooting mode in the viewfinder haven't been mentioned at all but may be possible so that may give you a total as high as 9 or 10.
Speaking of tweaked AF - Simply removing the re-check focus for trap-focus is huge! I don't see how sports shooters will have anything but good to say about that. It would seem that it would instantly capture the moment focus is indicated, it doesn't get any faster than that, right?
01-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thursday Quote
I know this is a rangefinder, and it sold for $2,000-3,000, but this is what the "MXd" should be. It has a mechanical shutter (has to be primed with the lever), only has Av and M mode, no AF, and every important function is displayed in analogue. Shutter speed is on the wheel, and the dials set WB, quality, show how many shots remain on the SD card, and how full the batteries are. The LCD can even swivel out and around so it is protected and out of site (there is a handy dial on the back of it that performs crop factor calculations.)
If Pentax could make this (possibly without the analogue dials as they supposedly added $500 to the cost) at a reasonable price, and give it full compatibility with pre-A lenses, they could sell them to schools, clubs, and hundreds of thousands of photographers that still have old k-mount glass sitting in a box in their closets.
If I had the money, I would buy this rangefinder in a heartbeat. I can just imagine it, with a 50mm f/1.0 as a walkaround kit.

~Thursday
Well, Leica already makes that. Buy an M8 and a Noctilux. It'll only set you back about 10 grand for the pair. Keep in mind f/1 has only been a chieved in, what, 2 lenses? 3? Canon had an f/0.95, and more recently an f/1. The Noctilux is the only one currently in production.
01-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #115
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I've heard it does have always viewable ISO as an option
Really.... great! How reliable is your source on a scale from 1-10?