Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When there is a K?D what will it be like?

Just want to start a dialogue to get your impressions of what a K?D might be like when it comes out. This would be an up scale DSLR and not an entree level camera. It will happen. This we know. But I would love to see who comes closest to the reality when it does happen.

06-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I bet it will cost more
06-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #3

Here's a WAG; In addition to the best features currently on the K10D—12 Mpixel, 1.3x crop factor, MUCH better AF, buffer depth, burst speed and ergonomics. Added pro-level feature set, similiar to the late, lamented Olympus E-1, which was years ahead of its time, but enhanced with 5 more years of technical advances. 98% viewfinder, improved sensor and algorithms that FINALLY work. Price in the $2000 USD for the body. Most importantly, retention of "film-like" look of the shots, compared to the digital, plasticky look of Canon ad Nikon's cameras. Just my 2 cents!
Rob W
06-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #4

It would be interesting if they were to introduce a whole new model or a rewamped K10, K100D. I absolutely have no clue, but I think both awb and autofocus may be subjects of improvement.

06-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #5

Ben,

Not to put you down, i'm also very interested in what the K?D will look like, but don't you already know?

You previously mentioned two new bodies which would be released in the near future, so i'm assuming that you may know more about the K?D?
06-05-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
?

QuoteOriginally posted by storm Quote
Ben,

Not to put you down, i'm also very interested in what the K?D will look like, but don't you already know?

You previously mentioned two new bodies which would be released in the near future, so i'm assuming that you may know more about the K?D?
Just want to get your impressions of what a K?D might be like when it comes out...
06-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #7

To be honest, I was just trying to see if you'd let some details slip, since I can't wait to see the new offering from Pentax

I'm guessing that we might see the following:
-New flagship DSLR, 1.3x or better crop, much faster AF, possible "live" display similar to Olympus E330 (I think this is pointless BTW), improved IS, + existing features of the K10D. The big selling points would be the crop factor and improved AF.

-I'd also expect a body to slot between the K100D and the K10D. Perhaps a high MP version of the K100D, or a lower featured version of the K10D. Ideally i'd personally like to see a stripped K10D with some features removed, offered at $100-200 less. This strategy would also allow the K100D to move down in price slightly, making it affordable for those shopping premium P&S models.

06-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My guess

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just want to start a dialogue to get your impressions of what a K?D might be like when it comes out. This would be an up scale DSLR and not an entree level camera. It will happen. This we know. But I would love to see who comes closest to the reality when it does happen.
Bearing in mind Pentax head for gaps in the market - the main gaps I see are between high end enthusiast (D200) and pro models (D2X). I would expect something higher spec than D200 but not in the price range of the D2X. It would be a full "pro" camera in the sense of features, build and IQ but probably not with the frame rate of the D2X.

Probably APSC and maybe 12MP?
06-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Ben,

Well I am not usually responding to threads like this, but hre goes what I would want from it...

- built in grip
- slightly more rugged and a little larger (no I am not a canon fan, but I would like it to be a little larger from an ergonomic point of view.)
- the tripod mount where it belongs
- larger sensor (1.3 or ff... for my work primary work SR is a fair trade off)
- move the shutter a slight bit more forward
- bigger viewfinder
- to retain the "filmlike" rendering...

That said, I like my K10D a lot and consider it a fine choice... count in the glass and it is excellent for what I do with it.
06-05-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ben
I would like to see 4 things
5fps frame rate or more
larger buffer
pc plug for studio flawsh
improved auto focus speed
06-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about something crazy like a body that takes replaceable sensors one b&w , one high res , one for low noise and maybe a film back, I can dream can't I
06-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #12

Something crazy? Maybe a dslr that makes coffee...

Could be great, but this would be enough:

- 5fps frame rate (or more) and larger buffer
- slightly larger than K10D's grip (built-in or not)
- ISO50 and ISO3200 and less noise than K10D
- faster AF (maybe K10D + SDM lens will be fast enough) and more AF sensors/points
- better AWB and exposure
- a button for WB and one for the mode
- even better viewfinder than K10D
- LCD with "live-view"

I don't really need a bigger sensor, but I'm not against it IF it supports SR (shake reduction) and the new DA* lenses are compatible with it

Last edited by Lazar; 06-05-2007 at 03:04 PM.
06-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #13
PDL
Pentaxian

How about all the K10D features and built in GPS? Using the Pentax codex in Vista - the GPS fields are there in PEF files - now we just need something to attach to.

I am somewhat surprised at all the wishes for things that will add weight and suck electrons out of batteries. (More MP, bigger sensors, live view (read big LCD that is basically a Video camera), high frame rates, wireless connections etc) Remember the gnashing of teeth and wailing when the K10D first came out and people were aghast at not being able to use AA's? How many of you complained because the K10D was "so big and heavy" as compared to the DL and just introduced K100D/K110D.

How things change - === - Oh on the K?D - a bottle opener is a requirement - I refuse to buy one if it does not have a bottle opener.

PDL
06-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazar Quote
Something crazy? Maybe a dslr that makes coffee...

Could be great, but this would be enough:

- 5fps frame rate (or more) and larger buffer
- slightly larger than K10D's grip (built-in or not)
- ISO50 and ISO3200 and less noise than K10D
- faster AF (maybe K10D + SDM lens will be fast enough) and more AF sensors/points
- better AWB and exposure
- a button for WB and one for the mode

I don't really need a bigger sensor, but I'm not against it IF it supports SR (shake reduction) and the new DA* lenses are compatible with it

This is interesting as I wonder how much SR gets used in the high end. I would guess that most pro photographers use a tripod, in which case SR becomes more or less a moot point.

Something else to consider is whether having no SR + no lenses with SR would be a huge problem.
06-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tri-Pods

QuoteOriginally posted by storm Quote
This is interesting as I wonder how much SR gets used in the high end. I would guess that most pro photographers use a tripod, in which case SR becomes more or less a moot point.

Something else to consider is whether having no SR + no lenses with SR would be a huge problem.
Can't stand tri-pods...Static, don't like to be tied down to a position. I like moving around the model and shoot against the intended lighting to get the "great" accident.
You couldn't do that with a tri-pod.

Ben