Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I took a look at the report and find it quite funny that the difference in points between the top and bottom DSLRs amounted to a difference of 4-5 points. To me that means they couldn't really find much of an advantage between one and the other, and didn't consider all the features the K10D has that would blow the D40 and others out of the water. Funny to see that they gave the Pentax software the highest rating, leaps and bounds over the rest.

Then again I would like to think few of us would expect Consumer Reports to rate a camera the same way dpreview does.

For CR to select the D40 as the top pick just reflects the nature of the review.
Considering the details they provided on their review, I think this review is for those folks who want a camera they can pull out of the box and begin taking pictures, without much work or thought, so they can spam their family and friends' inbox with more "baby with chocolate pudding face" shots.

07-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"baby with chocolate pudding face"

K100D, DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited.

I have no actual point, here.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
07-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have to take CR for what it is. They told me my Rav4 was the best in it's class. I owned it 7 years and never had anything but maintenance. Not a burned out lightbulb, nothing, just smooth driving. Compared to the Dodge Shadow I owned before, which died after 4 years, it was a dream. SO enough about CR. It has it's uses.

I would also point out that I bought a "camera comparisons" issue of Popular Photography on the newstands and it also rated Pentax's the bottom of the heap. Here is how they evaluated the cameras. They used the factory settings and factory lens, took a few pictures adn comapred them. The Pentax photos were a little flatter than the other images.

I looked at that and said "huh"? The much higher rated Nikon and Canon cameras had highlights and a loss of shadow detail. According to the reviewer, this was a good thing.

I ws appalled. I was taught to shoot for maximum range. You can create black shadows and highlights in the darkroom or photoshop if you want them. The reviewer's point seemed to be that the Nikon and Canon produce pictures that were more printer ready. For myself, that's just bad technique. Good for the unwashed masses, lousy for anyone who insists on professional results. I looked at the exact same pictures he did, and would have rated the pentax first of the 5 cameras rated, not last. ANd my reasons woould have been just as convincing as his. Never underestimate teh power of a reviewer to distort the truth and miss the point.

My photos, everyone of them go into photoshop for tweaking. Those areas in the Nikon and the Canon that were either underexposed or blasted, I can't put back the information that was lost by bad exposure. The lack of highlights and extended shadow detail in the pentax shots were exacly what I'm looking for.
07-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Non-profit applies to the distribution of profits to owners or shareholders. But even non-profits depend on profits for wages, salaries, transportation, work environments, facilities, benefits, retirement funds, advertising, self-promotion, advocacy, and so on.
From a business standpoint, I thought those were liablilities, costs of doing business, expenses, etc. I thought profit was what you put in your pocket after all of those things. Income is what is required to cover the expenses. Since CU does not sell advertising in their publications, they rely on subscription fees, investments, fund raisers and franchise fees for income.

Perhaps it is the use of advertising, advocacy and self-promotion that you object to?

07-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #50

Photos: Gallery
CR reviews everything from automobiles to automobile insurance, washing machines to detergent, yada yada yada. They can't be experts at everything. With the wealth of camera reviews avaialble on the net, you have to wonder why anyone would pay to defer to CR to make their buying decision on a digitial SLR.
07-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #51

Consumer Reports & K-10D

I have subscribed to CR for a few years and often use it to look at how they rate things. I agree that they tend to value cheap over quality. I also find it odd that they seem to compare new models of equipments against models that can no longer be found on the market. If you look at their overall ratings, there is often very little difference between the top five products, so the choice becomes subjective in a hurry. I also find many of their procedures to be flawed - they'd never get away with their tests in a real scientific journal (of course, most people wouldn't be able to follow a scientific journal anyway).

I've bought a few items on CR recommendations and done well and on a few others I got burned. The most recent was a Honda lawnmower I bought a couple years ago. What a complete P. o. S. it is!!! CR raved about it like it was the second coming of you know who. In case anyone is in the market for a walk-behind lawnmower, stay as far away as you can from the top priced Honda! But I digress.