Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Hot Shoe Covers

I need to buy a hot shoe cover but I cannot find one for Pentax anywhere. Do any of you know if the Nikon SB-1's fit or have an alternative?

11-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
5.99$ + shipping, and in-stock at Henry's: PENTAX HOTSHOE COVER FK
11-12-2009, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
5.99$ + shipping, and in-stock at Henry's: PENTAX HOTSHOE COVER FK
Thanks for that, could they charge any more though?
11-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

BS-1 Hot Shoe Cover for Nikon D5000 D700 D300 D3X D90 D60/Canon/Pentax/Olympus $0.99 - *************** Forums

11-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My question is, do they fit? Surely nikon/canon/pentax use different hot shoe covers??
11-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Dunno, but it's $1, and it certainly looks a lot like mine. Doing a "hot shoe cover" search at meritline turns up that one--for Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus--and only one other, for Sony/Minolta (which looks substantially different).
11-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Thanks for that, could they charge any more though?
I just talked to the Henry's rep. Expect a price increase.

Just kidding. It annoys me that these shards of plastic cost so much, but there is more to it than just the bit of plastic.

11-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Similar one here: Hot Shoe Cover For NIKON Canon Pentax Olympus Fujifilm Samsung DSLR Camera Hot

Note it also doesn't fit Sony/Minolta.
11-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
My question is, do they fit? Surely nikon/canon/pentax use different hot shoe covers??
Think about that for a minute.... a hot shoe is a standard mount that allows any compatible flash to be mounted. I'd be surprised if a generic cover didn't fit. It may not look like the OEM one, but it should fit unless there is a very strange prism shape. Dave
11-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davef Quote
Think about that for a minute.... a hot shoe is a standard mount that allows any compatible flash to be mounted. I'd be surprised if a generic cover didn't fit. It may not look like the OEM one, but it should fit unless there is a very strange prism shape. Dave
The question is, how well does it fit. Hot shoes do vary, albeit only slightly. Just tried my K-7 shoe cover in my wife's Canon Rebel-class camera, and the Canon shoe is easily a couple of millimeters longer than the cover, and doesn't seat it as tightly as it does in the K-7 either.

Given that Pentax states in the user manuals of weather-sealed cameras that the hot shoe isn't weather-sealed without the cover installed <EDIT: Ignore this, I was misremembering, and talking complete nonsense. Sorry!> , I wouldn't chance using a third-party one that might be a touch looser and allow ingress of water more easily.

Obviously for non-sealed cameras like the K-x, this isn't a problem.

Last edited by knoxploration; 11-12-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: I was talking nonsense. Edited to make that clear.
11-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Does the Hotshoe cover FK has rubber on it? Or did pentax just say that because it fits the best? I have a third party that doesn't fit perfect until I dremeled one of the ends to fit the notch that the pentax cameras have.

Any difference between ones that came with K10d and ones that came with K100d?
11-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Where does it say that ? I've never noticed such a statement before. One thing is certain, the hot-shoe cover FK is not sealed, and has no rubber or gasket anywhere.
I must humbly apologize. The one time I don't take time to double-check my facts, I misremember. I was thinking of the sync socket cover. Ignore me, please - I'll edit my earlier post to correct it so nobody is misled.

Doi!
11-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
first place to check would be ebay.com
11-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't like the price, why not get a block of plastic and whittle your own?
Seriously though, camera manufacturers and retailers have always made a killing on accessories.
In fact the percent markup is far greater on accessories than on the camera itself.

Chris
11-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
a hot shoe is a standard mount that allows any compatible flash to be mounted.
That is what I figure too. And note that with the multi brand one someone mentioned, it specifically says not for Sony/Minolta. Minolta had come up with a very proprietary flash shoe configuration. Probably a lot better than the ordinary one but that also prevented users from using most older and third party flashes. Sony kept the design.
I think that IN GENERAL probably any generic hot shoe cover should work.
Just don't pay a fortune to find out of course, but a few bucks is probably a reasonable chance.