Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #31
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You don't like the K-x colours, and led everyone on a wild goose chase over that.
can you confirm that K200D is sharper than K-x with the same lens?

i can buy camera only with high IQ.

11-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #32

Here is a comparison of hi ISO noise betwen the K-x and K200D with 30sec exposure dark frames.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/811084-post43.html

The results are nearly the same with K-m and K10D. As we all know the hi-ISO performance is great with the K-x and is two stops better than previous generation CCD Pentax DSLRs, but also worth noting is that long exposure noise performance is also fantastic. Exposures of several minutes are possible without appreciable increases in noise, hot pixels, or amplifier glow.

I have also not had any sharpness issues compared to previous CCD Pentax cameras. Images look great, but that is just my opinion so far. I may do some test crops to compare daylight performance.

-Andy
11-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
My Orange Pentax K-x [Page 2]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

My impression, looking at the first few hundred images from my K-x, is that the camera is simply not sharp at the pixel level at any ISO. It seems intentional and fundamental to the sensor data. As the ISO increases sharpness decreases further. Converting from RAW with the pentax photo utility, turning off the NR and highlight correction, using my best lenses Ö nothing helps.
And yet, all he has to show for this is one image of a scene that is totally and completely different in nature from the k10D scene he posted? Looking at the pictures, I don't see any difference whasoever I wouldn't attribute to the fact that h is blowing up the Kx image bigger (since it has more pixels) and it's a picture of a fuzzy object rather than just a hard edged one. I don't see the posted K-x shot as worse than the posted K10D shot at all once those factors are taken into account.
11-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My Orange Pentax K-x [Page 2]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

My impression, looking at the first few hundred images from my K-x, is that the camera is simply not sharp at the pixel level at any ISO. It seems intentional and fundamental to the sensor data. As the ISO increases sharpness decreases further. Converting from RAW with the pentax photo utility, turning off the NR and highlight correction, using my best lenses … nothing helps.
I don't even know why I am discussing yet another absolute non-issue with ogl (in Australia we would call it a furphy).

All we have here are impressions. Not tests, just impressions, of someone who is very used to the output of a camera he knows well, compared to a camera he has recently bought. Naturally enough, his impressions of the new camera vs the old one are that the new camera produces different images to the ones he is used to seeing from his old camera. It's just the same thing as me using my new K-x alongside my old K200D.

And what does sharp mean to the DPR guy? Does he mean horizontal resolution, which is what sharpness is usually measured by? If he does then (just for example) the photoreview.com.au IMATest resolution charts of both cameras suggest he has no case. Indeed their tests suggest that the K-x has stunning resolution, even exceeding the D5000/D90 and (improbably) even coming close to the Canon 7D!
K-x
Pentax K-x, digital cameras, digital photography, photography, digital slr, camera recommendation, price comparison, photographic companies, camera companies, digital camera best prices,
K10
Pentax K10D, digital cameras, digital photography, photography, digital slr, camera recommendation, price comparison, photographic companies, camera companies, digital camera best prices,
Furthermore, in regard to the K-x, they note: Resolution remained relatively high throughout the test camera's sensitivity range with a surprisingly small difference revealed between the ISO 200 and ISO 12800 settings. Something I have observed myself and you can see in the high-ISO pictures I've posted.

Etc etc. Resolution, if that's what people mean when they are airily talking about 'sharpness', is a matter easily measured. So far the measurements seem to reveal no 'sharpness' issues with the K-x.

11-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #35
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pti-andy Quote
Here is a comparison of hi ISO noise betwen the K-x and K200D with 30sec exposure dark frames.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/811084-post43.html

-Andy
What is the sense of such test? Can you we see sharp photos here?
11-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #36

What is the sense of such test? Can you we see sharp photos here?
Do I have to explain everything? The topic of this thread is comparing the K-x to the K200D. This test shows the noise (and only the noise) produced by these two cameras. Noise is a big part of the perceived picture quality especially in low light.

If you don't understand the relavence of this to good photography then perhaps you should just move on and not criticize.

-Andy
11-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Hey Andy! I was going to say it yesterday but refrained - I'll go with it now though...

dont feed the trolls!

Ogl! Have you ever heard of astrophotography? Take a look at those photos again. I believe the post you referenced was discussing HIGH ISO - pretty applicable in a generic comparison thread of two cameras (pre-Ogl-hijack at least).
11-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Regarding the "crippled" mount discussion . . .

The *ist digital, the K D series digital and current K series digital bodies have the KAF2 crippled mount which is are not as restricting as the KAF crippled was.

Summary of the K-Mount Evolution, Names, and Features

Unfortunately, the store for iii hasn't been written. However, I agree that it would be ideal on the digital bodies if they had used the regular KAF2 that was put in the MZ-S, MZ-3 etc. If you really want a sucky mount, get the MZ50 or *ist film body.