Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why would you buy a K-x and keep your K200D?

I really like my K200D, well love it. But the higher ISO, smaller size and video capabilities are intriguing. I like to shoot a lot indoors and have some nice wide open glass for indoor shooting. I could see my wife getting into the K-x more than my K200D where, even on the green setting, she's intimidated and sticks to her Canon IS2. It just seems Pentax hit the ball so far out of the park with the K200D that I wonder if it makes sense to own both and still keep the K200D? Seems as though the K-x in terms of features is a step down. I'm no pro and shoot in jpeg mode, but wanting to get into Lightroom or PS to be able to expand into RAW. So I'm somewhere on the low end of an intermediate enthusiast I guess you'd say.

11-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #2

I am looking into buying a Pentax, Either the K200d or the K-x. I have some older Super Takumar lenses that I'll have to get an adapter for, but I would like to use them. I have an 18 month old that never stops moving, and would like to shoot some great photos both inside and outside. Will the K200d work indoors as well? Your thoughts?
11-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The only reason I can think of is to beat it while it's storming or raining, otherwise The K-x just kills it in every other way. Otherwise it would make a good back-up if you need one, but I don't find a back-up really necessary unless you go on a hiking/camping tour for a week straight, or you do some type of commercial/business photography where you are looking for cash such as a wedding.

I myself own a K-7 and if I would have still had my K2000, I wouldn't know what I would even do with it since the K-7 destroys it in every way, I haven't even taken the K-7 out in the rain yet either but I'm sure I will take it out in the snow once that harsh winter comes.
11-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Which features besides weathersealing does the K200D have it beat in?

Weathersealing can be a huge plus. I got a cheap rainsleeve for my K-x and may test it out one day...

11-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #5

LeDave -

Thanks..... You said you have a K2000... where does that rank of the scale? It seems like for 100+ more dollars, I get a lot better camera with the K-x
11-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

K200D has good ergonomics, battery grip, selective AF point and top lcd.. I think Kx will be a great combo with the K200D. The K200D's weakness is low light and that is where the Kx excel.
11-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Twix Quote
LeDave -

Thanks..... You said you have a K2000... where does that rank of the scale? It seems like for 100+ more dollars, I get a lot better camera with the K-x
I would much prefer the K-x over the K2000, I would definitely save up that extra money to get the K-x instead.

The K2000 isn't bad at all and was very good for the money before the K-x came out, but now I can't even look at the K2000 the same anymore, although it's probably the cheapest DSLR right now that you can buy new in the market (It's cheaper than the D40 right?). I'd say the K2000 has ISO usable up to 800. The K-x has a superior sensor with superior high ISO noise IQ, HD video recording, live-view, more features, more FPS, and surprisingly it's lighter with all the added bonuses although not by much. It probably has more to it that I don't even know yet, but for the price differential the K-x is already the better deal. It's a monster and I would never consider passing the K-x up, it's a no-brainer and I would take this camera over any other camera in it's class in a split heart-beat.

Personally in my own opinion, the high ISO IQ of the K-x is more than enough to save up that extra cash to buy it over the K2000.

11-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #8

LeDave

Thanks.. the confidence you have in that K-x really helps and I've never been one to buy the cheap just to have. I'd rather have the better model any day. Thanks for the help.
11-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K200D is better build quality.
  • weather resist.
  • D-range
  • AF indicators in VF
  • Pentax K-mount(not crippled)
  • Sv mode
  • DNG and PEF and JPG
  • optical and digital DOF preview
  • shadow and highlight display on back LCD image
  • top LCD
  • JPG until the card is full

I thought of swapping a K-x as a dedicated manual until I realized it wasn't a good idea.

Hello Pentax... it's a good time for a K-70 don't you think? :ugh:
11-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were to upgrade today I would go for a K7.. But I'm still learning stuff with my K200D so not yet.. Weather sealing is my biggest reason..

The K200D isn't that bad in low light.. but It is a 2 year old camera and the newer K-x have a better sensor..
11-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My K200D still performs at best but at a low price for Kx makes K200D owners think. K200D has the battery grip. Kx doesn't. Still ill keep my K200D as back up and Kx as main camera use.
11-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
  • weather resist.
  • D-range
  • AF indicators in VF
  • Sv mode
  • DNG and PEF and JPG
  • shadow and highlight display on back LCD image
  • top LCD
  • JPG until the card is full

I thought of swapping a K-x as a dedicated manual until I realized it wasn't a good idea.

Hello Pentax... it's a good time for a K-70 don't you think? :ugh:
- D-range is on K-x and the D-range of the K-x sensor is better
- K200D's K-mount is also "crippled" not that you would notice
- Sv mode is on K-x
- DNG is on K-x and is compressed, not compressed on K200D
- optical / digital preview are on K-x
- shadow/highlight is on K-x
- K-x's burst is faster and buffer is larger than the K200D, and can do JPG until full.

WR, AF Indicators, grip, and top LCD are valid.
11-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think your list has a few other slight inaccuracies mentioned by others, but I want to focus on these, becauise there is more to it thn meets the eye, I think. As far as I know, *both* K200D and K-x are "crippled" in precisely the same way - camera cannot read aperture ring and therefore must use stop down metering. The K-x does have both optical and digital preview, and the optical preview does work to stop down and display a meter reading with manual lenses, and it also provides a one-button way to momentarily stop down and set shutter speed. So they are functionally equal here as far as I can tell. But I've read the K-x always flips the mirror up when stopping the lens down for metering - true? If so, that would be kind of a drag (although nowhere near as much so as the K-m not having a live meter reading via optical DOF preivew at all), as I use these operations pretty often and wouldn't want all that mirror slapping every time I meter.

Overall though, I'd say the K200D and K-x each have advantages and disadvantages. Saying one clearly trumps the other would overly simplistic no matter which one you were to claim was superior.

Note we are talking here about the K200D, not the K2000. I would agree the K-x does beat the K2000 in virtually every possible way. But between the K200D and K-x, it's more complicated.
11-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
- D-range is on K-x and the D-range of the K-x sensor is better
- K200D's K-mount is also "crippled" not that you would notice.
Is the K-x mount plastic?

Okay I updated the difference(k200D side) to reflect the changes.
  • Dust-proof Water-resistant
  • AF Indicators
  • Flash modes
  • Dust-alert function
  • Additional Grip
  • Top LCD.
  • Full SDM lens support
  • Metal Mount

I too agree that the Kx is beneficial in many ways to the K200D.

Though I am somewhat disappointed that Pentax did not deliver an equivalent K200D upgrade with the Kx sensor. I would of loved to use the Kx, but since our K200D is a dedicated manual shooter, the Kx just didn't like it would work with the lack of AF and grip option.

Though I still hope they put something out there though.
I am really looking forward to the higher ISO performance of the Kx in a better body.

Last edited by JohnBee; 11-12-2009 at 05:11 PM.
11-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
Forum Member

Though I still hope they put something out there though.
I am really looking forward to the higher ISO performance of the Kx in a better body.
Agreed. I didn't wait for the K-x to be released because I found the K200D's feature set to be more compelling. (Who knew the K-x sensor would be so much better than everything else out there?)

Love the tiny form factor of the K2000/K-x. The results in low light with the K-x are stunning. Yet early copies of the K-x have had some issues reported on the forum that temper my enthusiasm.

I would be all over a K-200D successor with the K-x sensor, call it the "K200D Super" perhaps. Or--someday when I win the lottery--a "K-7 Super!"