Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
Dammit. I told my sister to get a Pentax, but of course she didn't listen. The D60 'body' was so much cheaper. Well, now she can go break the bank buying lenses.

I just picked up a Tokina 70-210mm for $15. LOL
Depends on her demands. I think she could live with 18-55, Tamron 70-300 and Nikkor 35/1.8 - it's not that expensive.

11-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #32

Dammit. I told my sister to get a Pentax, but of course she didn't listen. The D60 'body' was so much cheaper. Well, now she can go break the bank buying lenses.

yeah I only really known about canon rebels and nikon... I cant stand the rebel body I couldnt even fit all my fingers on it. But I regreted later I couldnt afford any good glass
11-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Would the D60 also fall into this category (i.e. Must use lenses with built-in zoom motor)?
Not *zoom* motor, but *focus* motor. I don't know that any Nikon SLR lenses have zoom motors - that's not very common in the SLR world. Virtually all zoom lenses require you to zoom manually (with the zoom ring). But unless they have a focus motor, they'll also require you to *focus* manually with a D60. That immediately rules out many if not most of the relatively affordable prime lenses for Nikon.
11-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
Depends on her demands. I think she could live with 18-55, Tamron 70-300 and Nikkor 35/1.8 - it's not that expensive.

Yes, and to be fair, on the D5000, most new shooters can get by nicely with, for example:

Tamron 17-50 2.8
Nikon 70-300 VR
Nikon 35 1.8G

That's actually a pretty nice kit, with speed being sacrificed in the telephoto zoom.

The Tamron 17-50 2.8 is offered with an excellent VR implementation now, but even the non-VR version is a great choice on the D5000 - which can shoot at very high ISO nicely.

And I have to say again - that $199 35 1.8G is not matched by any current Pentax offering. (and Marc - unless I misunderstand, comparing the kit lens on K-x (SR) with the D5000 + 35 1.8G in low-light is a bit apples-oranges, because the 35 1.8G has an almost 3 stop advantage on the kit at 35mm, and SR doesn't freeze subject motion. The FA 35 f/2 on K-X would be the best indoor d-normal low-light combo of all, but that lens is discontinued and now twice as expensive as the 35 1.8G)

I still feel that overall, Pentax wins in this segment with the K-x and all the AF lenses it supports. But the D5000 is not a terrible choice (much better than the D40/D60/D3000 IMO)

11-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would the D60 also fall into this category (i.e. Must use lenses with built-in zoom motor)?
If only Nikon made it clear to consumers which bodies don't have an AF motor.

Oh wait, I understand why, lol
11-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem really is one of growth potential. For most shooters, it isn't a big issue. They are satisfied with the kit lens and if they get another lens, it will be a super zoom or a telephoto in the consumer range. However, if someone decides to grow and wants a decent, faster zoom for a reasonable price, they will generally have to change cameras as well as get a new lens. To me, that is a problem.
11-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Marc - unless I misunderstand, comparing the kit lens on K-x (SR) with the D5000 + 35 1.8G in low-light is a bit apples-oranges, because the 35 1.8G has an almost 3 stop advantage on the kit at 35mm, and SR doesn't freeze subject motion.
True, it's not a perfect comparison. But if you consider that you can shoot the kit lens just a little wider to get f/4 instead of f/4.5, that's actually only a little over two stops of improvement, and SR easily is worth that when it comes to handholdability, if not subject-motion-stopping power.

Anyhow, I'm not disagreeing that the 35/1.8 is an advantage for Nikon - just pointing out it isn't the *huge* win it might otherwise appear to be.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 11-18-2009 at 04:52 PM.
11-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #38
Forum Member

d5000 has
1. a better af - faster and more precize (based on nikon pro-level af from top cameras)
2. wider choice of kit lenses (including cheap 35/1.8)
3. swiwing screen
4. good battery performance

while nikon's CMOP may be not as good at high iso as kX's one but it's still very good (much better than previos one in d300s)

12-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #39

some comments since i have owned both a pentax k-x and nikon d5000

i chose Nikon

pentax k-x lacks seletive focus in the view finder
jpeg quality better from Nikon
metering better from Nikon
range finder mode for manual focus better than Pentax k-x (requires a split focus screen)
flash performance and system better in Nikon
AF performance better in Nikon
live view AF performanc better in Nikon
edges are sharp on the body compared to curved Nikon (ergonomics)
composition with LCD swivel very useful on Nikon
more lens selection with Nikon

I wanted Pentax to win out, root for the underdog but there were short comings on the body. The Nikon D5000 rumoured to use the same Sony sensor, just limited to ISO 6400 not like Pentax allowing use of 12800.

main advantages of K-x

costs less than Nikon D5000 about $150 US
use ISO 12800
in body shake reduction, stabilized and screw drive motor
access to some old beautiful pentax mount manual focus lenses
unlimited video recording, nikon limited to 5min clips

but in the long run after just one lens purchase the costs of the two bodies could pull even.

i love the pentax limited lenses and the pancakes. the colors from a pentax 50mm 1.7 manual focus lens I shot with was superb. choose the best system for your photography.

Last edited by ea77; 12-29-2009 at 09:38 PM.
01-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ea77 Quote
some comments since i have owned both a pentax k-x and nikon d5000

i chose Nikon

pentax k-x lacks seletive focus in the view finder
metering better from Nikon
range finder mode for manual focus better than Pentax k-x (requires a split focus screen)
flash performance and system better in Nikon
AF performance better in Nikon
live view AF performanc better in Nikon
edges are sharp on the body compared to curved Nikon (ergonomics)
composition with LCD swivel very useful on Nikon
more lens selection with Nikon

I wanted Pentax to win out, root for the underdog but there were short comings on the body. The Nikon D5000 rumoured to use the same Sony sensor, just limited to ISO 6400 not like Pentax allowing use of 12800.

main advantages of K-x

costs less than Nikon D5000 about $150 US
use ISO 12800
in body shake reduction, stabilized and screw drive motor
access to some old beautiful pentax mount manual focus lenses
unlimited video recording, nikon limited to 5min clips

but in the long run after just one lens purchase the costs of the two bodies could pull even.

i love the pentax limited lenses and the pancakes. the colors from a pentax 50mm 1.7 manual focus lens I shot with was superb. choose the best system for your photography.
I have to agree too. Coming from a borrowed D40, the next logical step was the d5k. The only reason for the k-x was price and the fact that manual takumars are really nice. Had I gone with the d5k, I would have just gotten the new VR tamron to replace the kit and perhaps a flash and be very happy. Much cheaper too as I am finding out LOL.

It is my belief that majority of the the target for these 2 models don't 'geek out' surf the forums and run comparisons. I am not familiar with the whole AF lens line of the pentax. But, from general day-to-day use, both companies provide similar lines of lenses that will AF and VRed. If the complaint is D5k don't have a screw drive, well, you can always manual focus just like the M/A/Tak/M42 of the pentax since D5k boasts the largest mount compatibility that nikon makes (from bythom).

I am just saying, from a purely AF point of view, D5k supports a variety of nice lens too. The nikon lenses don't suffer from the motor failure neither. the focus speed only improves as you buy better and better pro grade lenses. I have done this with the pro 24-70 from nikon($1500) and this is on a puny D40!!

If one don't care for old lenses that requires manual focus, I thnk D5k has advantage.

That said, I still chose the k-x. Last I checked, both cameras in capable hands take very very nice pictures.
01-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
DSLR's are meant to be used with a viewfinder, not an LCD - "liveview" is really only for the pretty rare occasions when the viewfinder isn't practical.
I've found that situations where the viewfinder isn't practical, looking at the review screen is also compromised.
I've had a few occasions when I would have appreciated a swivel screen, though I would appreciate a separate live view screen that plugs into the USB port a lot more.
Something about the size of a GPS device would work just fine.
01-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #42

Except of course that since the Nikon D5000 + 35/1.8 combo is not stabilized, the actual handholdability in low light is little or no better than the K-x with the kit lens. And the 35 is about the *only* low price prime that will AF with the D5000.

Again, not only does the Kx AF with *all* AF lenses for Pentax, it also meters correctly with *all* MF lenses for Pentax.
1) Stabilization is bullshit in most cases. It's not a bullet time feature that will temporarly freeze your kids. Stabilization only works on non-living species.
2) Nikon 35 1.8 is a killer! I hope Pentax will quickly respond to it, and not by releasing a 35mm 1.8 SDM WR at $600 like they did with the 55mm 1.4
3) Seriously only pentaxians care about manual lens because the AF lenses are so expensive! (Don't come up with Zeiss please, different subject)

35 1.8 is made for the cheap Nikon bodies, she is so lucky she can buy this lens.

Congratulations for the Tokina, can you remind me the differences between the AF 12-24 Tokina for Nikon and Pentax... beside the price?

True, it's not a perfect comparison. But if you consider that you can shoot the kit lens just a little wider to get f/4 instead of f/4.5, that's actually only a little over two stops of improvement, and SR easily is worth that when it comes to handholdability, if not subject-motion-stopping power.

Anyhow, I'm not disagreeing that the 35/1.8 is an advantage for Nikon - just pointing out it isn't the *huge* win it might otherwise appear to be.
Are you joking? 2 stops is gigantic! Let alone the sharpness improvement provided by a prime lens over a crappy kit zoom lens. And again, SR is not that useful.
01-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoid Quote
1) Stabilization is bullshit in most cases. It's not a bullet time feature that will temporarly freeze your kids. Stabilization only works on non-living species.
Nonsense. There are plenty of situations in which shutter speeds of 1/20" or so will freeze a subject who is not actually running around but is simply engaged in ordinary conversation or other activities. And in cases where they *are* actually running around, f/1.8 is not going to give you you fast enough shutter speeds or deep enough DOF to catch them, either.

QuoteQuote:
Seriously only pentaxians care about manual lens because the AF lenses are so expensive!
If so, then this is exactly why the D5000 is a very limiting choice, because so many of the lenses one might want for it (eg, aside from the "crappy" kit lenses) won't autofocus on it.

QuoteQuote:
2 stops is gigantic!
Precisely why SR is so valuable. But in any case, the 35/1.8 does not provide two stops improvement over other Pentax lenses - it's only a stop and a fraction faster than than the fine f/2.8 options.
01-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to agree with Marc. I have a 50mm f1.4 and I have kids. I cannot possibly shoot at f1.4 or f1.8 and hope to catch them in focus. Those f stops to quote above: "Only works for non-living species." I shoot my kids at f2.8 to f4 and use high iso or flash as needed to freeze them. On the other hand, for "non living species," SR works better than f1.8 at getting steady shots in low light settings. I routinely get 3 to 4 stops from my SR. Definitely advantage Pentax there.
01-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ea77 Quote
I think they are close -
but might be surprised at ISO3200.

all crops from Imaging-Resource (EXIF should be still attached)

ISO200
shadow

detail

face

textural detail

At ISO200 the difference is minimal - probably not discernible in any real practical usage - although the textural detail on the Pentax K-x seems superior.

The Nikon D5000 seems to have more vivid/saturated colors which might appeal to some. I prefer the Pentax K-x more subdued/subtle colors.

ISO3200

shadow

detail

The Nikon D5000 at ISO3200 seems to have less shadow noise.

BUT.......

face

for the face - it seems the Pentax K-x does a LOT better than the Nikon D5000 -
I don't know why - the shadow noise and detail crops seem to go the other way in favor of the D5000

textural detail

perhaps not quite as obvious but again the Pentax K-x seems to do quite a bit better than the D5000 in the textural details.

I think in real usage the differences are going to be small - but at least from these controlled and consistent test sample images from Imaging-Resource - the Pentax K-x seems to fare better than the Nikon D5000