Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This will change your mind, you made the right choice of getting the K-x.

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax K-x won the best travel gadget of 2009 in Times Magazine and won the best beginner DSLR of 2009 in Times UK.

The Pentax K-x contains a APS-C sensor with high ISO image quality that rivals that of full frames from the Sony A900 and A850. The Pentax K-x has usable ISO up to 12800 which is a huge benefit for a entry-level DSLR.

The Pentax K-x can record clear and sharp high-definition videos, the Nikon D3000 does NOT record videos at all.

Pentax has used the exact same mount since early 1970's, the K-mount. This allows EVERY single lens made in the K-mount since the 70's to be able to fit and work with the Pentax K-x. There are also M42 lens mounts for the K-mount that allows every single lens ever made for Pentax SLR and DSLR system to work with the K-x. The Nikons does not boast this capability.

Pentax offers high-end APS-C lenses from their DA* line-up that rivals the quality of other companies more expensive full frames. Pentax offers weather-sealed lenses in their DA* line-up that is water resistant and dust resistant with a built-in silent auto focus motor. With high quality optical and cosmetic lenses made from Pentax to support their APS-C DSLR's like the Pentax istD, K10D, K100D, K100DS, K20D, K200D, K2000, K-x, and K-7.

Pentax supports their APS-C DSLR's like the K-x more than any other camera company that will support their APS-C, from all the information I gave and am about to give, you will see why Pentax supports their APS-C like other companies will support their full frames. The Pentax K-x is only a entry-level and yet it is NOT stripped down of features and boasts quality of a high-end DSLR camera. Unlike the Nikon D3000 and D5000, they are stripped and Nikon only wants to boast the bigger features for their more expensive cameras and especially its full frames.

The Pentax K-x has a built-in image stabilization system that helps prevent blurring photos, this allows all K-mount lenses that fit the K-x to be image stabilized, even old ones from the 1970's. The Nikon D3000 and D5000 does NOT have this feature and you will have to buy more expensive lenses with vibration reduction.

The Pentax K-x has a built-in screw-drive autofocusing motor, the D3000 and D5000 does not. The K-x will be able to autofocus on lenses that do not have a built-in focusing motor. This allows every single autofocus lens new and old that has the K-mount to work on the K-x. The D3000 and D5000 does NOT have a built-in screwdrive and cannot autofocus on most third party lenses from Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina. You will have to be the more expensive built-in autofocus motor lenses to autofocus with the D3000 and D5000.

The Pentax all throughout it's lifespan has a rich history of making superb prime lenses. The Pentax FA 31 F/1.8 Limited lenses is known to be one of the sharpest lens ever made. The Pentax FA 50 F/1.4 lens is known to be one of the most affordable high quality optical lenses in the autofocus 50/1.4. With the FA 31 F/1.8, FA 43 F/1.9, and FA 77 F/1.8 Limited series lenses, there is no going wrong with Pentax lenses. There is even a high quality prime line-up made for APS-C sensors from Pentax alone, just look at the DA Limited lenses from Pentax, it screams out quality.

The Pentax K-x has trap focusing that you can turn on. When turned on, it will not take the picture with the shutter release down unless it is in focus. This will work with all lenses ever made for the Pentax K-mount, including old M42 mount lenses. This is incredibly useful for people who are good and not so good with manual focusing at all. You don't want to take the picture unless it is completely in focus, trap focus has it. The Nikon D3000 and D5000 does NOT boast such a feature.

The Pentax K-x has been reviewed by many websites all over the web and has been praised by it's ability to boast so much in such little price and in such a little body. It also comes in red, white, and blue colors.

11-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Gregor.

Both the in-body AF screwdrive mechanism as well as the same basic lens designs that allow the AF mechanism to work give Pentax cameras the ability to use all K-mount AF lenses.

Then there's Pentax camera's software and hardware recognising MF lenses and providing metering capabilities that do work.

Legacy.
11-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #18

Original Poster
AWESOME article LeDave!! Where is it from?
11-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asinla Quote
AWESOME article LeDave!! Where is it from?
It's actually from me, but I quoted it because I answered it to someone on Yahoo answers who was making a decision between the D3000 and K-x, I added the D5000 in there also just because like the D3000, it's stripped of some features. I was actually surprised because I didn't find out the D5000 doesn't have a screw-drive focusing motor built-in until my friend wanted to buy the cheaper Tokina 12-24 since I was helping him choose a wide-angle lens; Only to find out that the cheaper 12-24 will only work with screw-drive.

11-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asinla Quote
Hi, this is my first post here so I would like to thank all the other posters for the great info and discussions.

I ordered my K-x on Friday last week. Tonight I saw an ad for the Nikon D5000 so I went online and checked it out. Looks pretty cool I must say, especially that swiveling screen. I had a small twinge of buyers remorse.

I chose Pentax mainly because the only manual camera I have ever owned is my still trusty P30n. I also have 2 great lenses that I will be able to use with the K-x. I also liked the specs and reviews on the K-x.

Both cameras have what I am looking for but I am wondering whether the D5000 would have been a better entry level DSLR.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks

The three main advantages of the D5000 over the K-X are 1) the ability to buy and use the wonderful $199 35mm f/1.8G on the D5000, and 2) a better flash system for Nikon, and 3) slightly faster AF-lock, especially in low-light.

In every other significant way, the K-X matches or beats the Nikon.

That 35 1.8G has made a difference, IMO - it's a great lens and with the D5000, makes a killer low-light combo. Pentax has the FA 35 f/2, but it's been discontinued and is now around $400. The DA 35ltd is incredible, but slower and around $500. Nikon also has the 50 1.8G for $109 new.

I have not shot the K-X, but I've compared the D5000 to the K-7 in store twice, and with the kit lenses at least, the D5000 locked focus slightly faster. I'm assuming the K-X would be the same.

But really, aside from those things, you got the better camera in the K-X.

11-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #21

Thanks for playing devil's advocate here.... that makes D5000 a slightly better contender in my opinion..

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

The three main advantages of the D5000 over the K-X are 1) the ability to buy and use the wonderful $199 35mm f/1.8G on the D5000, and 2) a better flash system for Nikon, and 3) slightly faster AF-lock, especially in low-light.

In every other significant way, the K-X matches or beats the Nikon.

That 35 1.8G has made a difference, IMO - it's a great lens and with the D5000, makes a killer low-light combo. Pentax has the FA 35 f/2, but it's been discontinued and is now around $400. The DA 35ltd is incredible, but slower and around $500. Nikon also has the 50 1.8G for $109 new.

I have not shot the K-X, but I've compared the D5000 to the K-7 in store twice, and with the kit lenses at least, the D5000 locked focus slightly faster. I'm assuming the K-X would be the same.

But really, aside from those things, you got the better camera in the K-X.

11-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gregor Quote
What makes the Kx more backward compatible? Does it have an in body motor for focusing?

Thanks
Yes it does.

My brother inlaw also has a D5000 and it is a fun/great camera to use. But I can make better with the high ISO and some features that you cannot get until you go top of the line Nikon.

11-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blu3ness Quote
Thanks for playing devil's advocate here.... that makes D5000 a slightly better contender in my opinion..
Except of course that since the Nikon D5000 + 35/1.8 combo is not stabilized, the actual handholdability in low light is little or no better than the K-x with the kit lens. And the 35 is about the *only* low price prime that will AF with the D5000.

Again, not only does the Kx AF with *all* AF lenses for Pentax, it also meters correctly with *all* MF lenses for Pentax.
11-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
a better flash system for Nikon, and
In my opinion (or rather in my experience) that's mostly true for using/controlling multiple flash units, e.g. studio work. Nikon's flash system is very good at controlling multiple flashes in groups and/or individually.
As for using a single SB-800 or SB-900 mounted on your camera: it ain't really better than any other system. At least in my and my Nikon user friends' experience. So it isn't an advantage for a novice photographer considering to buy a D5000.
11-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #25

I own a D40 and I feel it is limiting... not many lenses and the ones I can get are way out of my price range.. there are not that much manual settings either. Now I wish I bought pentax insead. the only thing I really like from my camera is the small size and form
11-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ecoronin Quote
I own a D40 and I feel it is limiting... not many lenses and the ones I can get are way out of my price range.. there are not that much manual settings either. Now I wish I bought pentax insead. the only thing I really like from my camera is the small size and form
Would the D60 also fall into this category (i.e. Must use lenses with built-in zoom motor)?
11-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote
Would the D60 also fall into this category (i.e. Must use lenses with built-in zoom motor)?
D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D5000
11-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I believe that is the case.
11-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #29

what confused it dosnt have a screw AF drive on it
11-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D5000
Dammit. I told my sister to get a Pentax, but of course she didn't listen. The D60 'body' was so much cheaper. Well, now she can go break the bank buying lenses.

I just picked up a Tokina 70-210mm for $15. LOL