Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoid Quote
At 55mm, and Tv 1/20" on a closeup shot of a static object, w/o SR picture is blurry and unacceptable. With SR the picture is not as blurry, I would call it soft.
At 55mm, Tv 1/40" on a closeup shot of same static object, with or without SR I cannot really tell the difference.
You can't prove anything based on one or two test shots. There is enormous variation from shot to shot in how steady anyone can hold a camera. Take 50 shots both ways, then examine them closely to rank them in order out the sharpest 100, and see if *a lot* more than half of them won't turn out to be the SR shots.

Also, note that SR - like most stabilization systems - is known not to be as effective on "closeup" shots.

QuoteQuote:
if it were a human, 1/20" would certainly not be enough
Again, that's simply not true. As I said, I have *thousands* of pictures to prove otherwise.

01-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the OP last posted nearly 2 months ago and last looked in about a month ago I am betting he/she went for the Nikon
01-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #63

Marc,

I found the D5000 has more battery life than the K-x. I had hoped the firmware would do wonders but it didn't even with Eneloops.

I think a better comparison would be a Nikon D3000 vs K-x since they are priced more similarly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Doesn't appear to be true from what I can tell. D5000 claims 510 shots per charge; K-x easily exceeds that from what folks report here.

Perhaps - do you have actual stats on this? - but in any case, it is an issue for only the tiny handful of Pentax lenses that depend on lens motors.
01-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #64
Veteran Member

So are you saying you exceeded the 510 shots Nikon advertises, or failed to get as many as 510 shots on the Pentax?

01-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Doesn't the D5000 still have the 'rolling shutter" problem?
01-05-2010, 05:11 PM   #66
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Doesn't the D5000 still have the 'rolling shutter" problem?
I believe both D5000 and K-x have this RS problem since they use similar type of sensor. Although i don't know which one is worse, anybody has any comparison? I shoot a little bit video with my K-x, so far it's not very obvious since I have tried to avoid too much panning.
01-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #67

I can acheive close to 500 shots with the Nkion with the Pentax less for sure, blasted indicator. That's just a rough estimate because it varies, I shoot video, stills, review my photos more often, I use the cameras similarly Nikon definately has longer battery life.

I even returned one K-x body because of power on issues.

Here's another advantage for the Nikon D5000, it has a quiet mode and generally it's quiet in general. The shutter on the K-x is so blasted loud!, mirror slap bam lol

Video I find is excellent on the K-x with the SR on. Stabilize primes that's a big advantage for the K-x. Both cams will have the rolling shutter effect. Just move slowly when in video not to induce it.

Nikon doesn't equip their primes with VR.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
So are you saying you exceeded the 510 shots Nikon advertises, or failed to get as many as 510 shots on the Pentax?

01-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #68
Veteran Member

between the two...the D5000 is what i would pick simply for one feature it has and that is the swivel lcd. It also has a plethora of accessories to support it as well as Nikon`s flash system.

I will pay good money for a pro-spec body with weather resistance + swivel lcd.

The only "pro" camera i know of that has swivel lcd is Olympus E3 which is somewhat outdated.

I dont really have any brand loyalty so whichever manufacturer that gives me the camera i want, straightaway i will jump. Right now its the K20 as it gives me weather resistance + built in shake reduction and incredible dynamic range.
01-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ea77 Quote
I can acheive close to 500 shots with the Nkion with the Pentax less for sure, blasted indicator.
Hmm, others report 500 shots easily. Seems you might have a defective unit... Just curious, did you return the other one before or after the new firmware was released?
01-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #70

the first return was before the v1.01 firmware was released. two bodies at v1.0 firmware behaved differently. one powered on, the other one had problems powering on with the same set of batteries that why i returned it.

i kept the one that powered on, flashed to the latest firmware v1.01 when released but still wasn't happy with the battery life. what i thought was convenience of AA cells turned into more inconvenience.

mind you i like pentax, just not the k-x body. In my honest opinion Nikon has them beat with the D5000 handily.

Looking forward to next Pentax entry level iterartion.. because I love the Pentax lenses and their SR in body..
01-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #71

That's wierd. I can get over 1000 shots with one set of eneloops. Around 500 with normal alkaline batteries (that I thought won't even power up K-x).
01-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
That's wierd. I can get over 1000 shots with one set of eneloops. Around 500 with normal alkaline batteries (that I thought won't even power up K-x).
WoW! 500 shots with plain old alkalines -
thanks that is good to know -
so it may actually be OK to keep a set of alkalines as back-up.

To corroborate - I get on average over 1,200 shots per set of eneloops - but the K-x is still new and I have only gone through two sets with my "normal" shooting (a few but mostly no flash, 1 sec review, NO LV or movies, probably lots of LCD review/display of photos)
01-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #73
Veteran Member

I couldn't contemplate a D5000, the image quality on textures at higher ISO is a real turn off. The Kx is almost a full frame alternative in the way IQ holds up.

Video is useless on the D5000 (5 minutes!), at least it has some worth on the Kx and SR will help a lot I'm sure to make videos look a bit more professional. It had the best video on a UK magazine test of several DSLRs (all makes) up to D90 price level. It was also lowest noise in RAW and had the best stills image quality.
01-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ea77 Quote
the first return was before the v1.01 firmware was released.
Meaning it may well have been physically just fine. Wonder if you could get that one back :-)

QuoteQuote:
mind you i like pentax, just not the k-x body. In my honest opinion Nikon has them beat with the D5000 handily.
Depends on your priorities. No way in a million years would I be buying a camera with no stabilization or focus motor. Nothing else on your list of Nikon advantages comes within a mile of those in importance to me.
01-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #75

Over the Christmas holidays, my daughter and family traveled with us to northern Idaho. She had a brand new D5000, but didn't know anything about it, except to use the most appropriate scene mode and hope for the best. Right after she got it, she called me complaining that it took longer to take a picture than her old point and shoot. She would push the shutter button, everybody would move, the camera would snap the shutter, and all was blurry. What to do? Not knowing much about a Nikon except that the bayonet mount screws on counter clockwise, I gave it my best shot and told her to turn off the "live view". This was enough to make me an expert in her eyes.

Anyway, back to northern Idaho. She and her family were going "tubing" on Silver Mountain, and she wanted me to take her camera and get some action shots. I tried, and even got lucky a few times.

My problems with the D5000 started when I "half-pressed" the shutter button so it could focus prior to the shot. First of all, it was completely silent, so I didn't have any audible clue that the camera was focusing. In the second place, the view finder was so dim that I didn't even have visual confirmation that anything was in focus. That was very frustrating for me.

I finally gave up, half-pressed the shutter for a few seconds and took the shot. I think that some of them, maybe even a lot of them were actually in focus, but I really could not tell.

On another note, I too just used scene modes, as I could not find any way to control the basic camera functions. I tried to use A, with no luck. I tried to set iso, again no luck.

Once I put her D5000 back in the bag and took out my K20D, I was happy, and took some nice photos.

I don't have any experience with a KX, but it would be hard to be worse than a D5000!