Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #76
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
AF points?

I'm deciding between a D5000 and K-x, and I'm really surprised not a single person mentioned the AF points issue (D5000 displays them like many other DSLRs while the K-x does not). Is this such a non-issue that nobody really cares about it? It's the only thing that's keeping me from clicking on Amazon's Buy button!

- Sung

03-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ive tried that on my Km.. That would be a personal preference some think its an issue some dont. For me its really not an issue since you can see in the viewfinder whats on focus and i use the centerpoint and recompose.
03-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #78
Veteran Member

I've been using centerpoint focus-recompose on everything from my K-x back to my 40D and K20D and E-330. It's not really a problem for most uses. High-speed sports and bird-in-flight, perhaps.

To further negate the issue, I feed my K-x manual-focus lenses about 80% of the time.
03-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwoo Quote
I'm deciding between a D5000 and K-x, and I'm really surprised not a single person mentioned the AF points issue (D5000 displays them like many other DSLRs while the K-x does not).
That's because there have been probably a thousand posts on that topic in other threads - just browse around. It's a huge issue for a small number of people, a non-issue for most.

03-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asinla Quote
Hi, this is my first post here so I would like to thank all the other posters for the great info and discussions.

I ordered my K-x on Friday last week. Tonight I saw an ad for the Nikon D5000 so I went online and checked it out. Looks pretty cool I must say, especially that swiveling screen. I had a small twinge of buyers remorse.

I chose Pentax mainly because the only manual camera I have ever owned is my still trusty P30n. I also have 2 great lenses that I will be able to use with the K-x. I also liked the specs and reviews on the K-x.

Both cameras have what I am looking for but I am wondering whether the D5000 would have been a better entry level DSLR.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks
I don't have the K-x nor the D5000, but I have handled the D5000 that my niece bought, and I have checked out the K-x in the local camera shop.

I think both are in the same ballpark area. I do NOT particularly like the articulated screen at all, as it is not that "clean" at all ergonomically in the back, and another potential area to break. Unless you are really into video stuff and have to hold the camera high above the crowd. IQ wise, both D5000 and K-x are similar, with perhaps the K-x a slight advantage on noise over high ISO.

Don't forget the advantage of using high quality inexpensive m42 MF glasses out there out there with your K-x (with shake resistant). To me, that is the biggest advantage that none of the Canikon users can claim.
03-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I"ve owned a K-7 (sent it back) & now have a K-x. Other than the usual gripes about the top LCD & lack of visible focus confirmation, I'm much more satisfied with the K-x's image quality (especially ISO 1600 & up).
03-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Either of these cameras is a fine choice. You'd have to pry my K-x + DA Ltds from my cold, dead, hands right now for digital, but, if I didn't have a Pentax collection old enough to run for President of the U.S., I'm sure I'd be happy with the Nikon or Canon as well. Jay, kudos for the most helpful post on the thread.

Sometimes I read photography boards, and it reminds me of the 60s and 70s when I would hear people argue endlessly over GM, Ford or Chrysler. (Hmm, I wonder how many old-time Pentax owners from the U.S. were Chrysler guys?)

03-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #83

as mentioned by others, the k-x is a much more economical camera. we can still use lenses from the 80's!
03-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #84
Veteran Member

The K-x is a much better camera for sure. Don't listen to the complaints about its SR, at least you don't have to pay an extra $100 to get a lens that has it.
03-13-2010, 04:30 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mba1971 Quote
Howerver, for e the AA batteries ont the Kx is annoying...Overall, K-x!
Can't agree on that. My former camera was a K100D and i loved the fact that it used AA battery's. Never a moment of fear of stumbling on empty battery's, always the possibility to go to the local store and buy fresh ones.

I always had 4 sets of GP 2700mAh battery's with me on hollidays. Most of the time i only needed 2 sets during the day (was able to make some 500 pics with one set)

I really have to get used to the use of an accu in my present K7. Even bought a grip for it only to be able to use AA's if i ever run dry on accu's during the day on holliday's.

QuoteOriginally posted by silent89 Quote
as mentioned by others, the k-x is a much more economical camera. we can still use lenses from the 80's!
And with a M42 adapter even lensen from the 60's
03-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #86
Forum Member

Got the K-x!

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the great info. I got the K-x yesterday and have been playing around with it. One thing that bothers me is that its image stabilization doesn't seem to be great. Or is it just that I'm used to the IS on my Panasonic DMC-FZ18? Maybe I'm just spoiled, but the FZ18 has perhaps the best IS of any camera I've used. I also have a Fuji F70EXR, which has decent IS but nowhere as good as the FZ18.

Am I comparing apples to oranges? Is DSLR IS always worse than digicams?

- Sung
03-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi folks,

Thanks for all the great info. I got the K-x yesterday and have been playing around with it. One thing that bothers me is that its image stabilization doesn't seem to be great. Or is it just that I'm used to the IS on my Panasonic DMC-FZ18? Maybe I'm just spoiled, but the FZ18 has perhaps the best IS of any camera I've used. I also have a Fuji F70EXR, which has decent IS but nowhere as good as the FZ18.

Am I comparing apples to oranges? Is DSLR IS always worse than digicams?

- Sung

I suspect this is largely your impression. Just like the salesmen from the camera shop who claims that lens-based IS is better than camera-based IS, you have to draw your own conclusion. Because, otherwise, how can they sell all those Canikon IS based lens at such a price. The rule of thumb is to apply the 1/focal length as a baseline for shutter speed to get the image without needing the help of IS/SR adjustment and then go from there. For instance, if you have a 50mm lens, how far to go 1/40, 1/30, 1/25. 1/20 (each one is half stop) before the pictures taken becomes blur due to handshake. Also, the Panasonic FZ18 has a smaller sensor, so given the same aperture setting, the DOF is also deeper, hence, giving you the impression that the picture you have taken is sharper.
03-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #88
Veteran Member

I got the K-x yesterday and have been playing around with it. One thing that bothers me is that its image stabilization doesn't seem to be great. Or is it just that I'm used to the IS on my Panasonic DMC-FZ18?
Could be. A DSLR has to deal with the much larger vibration from the mirror slap, so no DSLR is likely to allow *quite* so slow shutter speeds as a P&S for the same field of view. Have you performed controlled tests to quantify the differences? You should be seeing around a 2-3 stop improvement in your ability to take sharp pictures on the K-x.
03-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #89
Forum Member

Thanks, guys. I took three sample shots with three different cameras this morning. I'm sure all of this is obvious to everyone on this forum, but as a first-time DSLR user, I can't believe the difference in quality. It really is literally night and day. It's just amazing how little noise there is in these Pentax shots (all at ISO200 from all three cameras).

I've attached the maximum number of pictures -- you can see them here, too, in their full size:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8814/crystalv.jpg
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2478/crystaldetail.jpg
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2707/ginny.jpg
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2300/ginnydetail.jpg
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/7499/plant.jpg
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5013/plantdetail.jpg
Attached Images

Last edited by sjwoo; 03-13-2010 at 12:06 PM.
03-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #90

Lots of good detailed information here in this thread!

I just brought a memory card to an Electronics Expo in my area, took a D5000 and KX around the store and outside the front with the sales person, took a bunch of images with both. Each had the standard kit lens. Maybe 70 each. Examined the images at home in my leisure. Both on my PC and on my plasma screen.

I liked the image quality of the KX better, the simplicity of its menu system and control layout. The KX was smaller and easier to handle. The AA batteries were a home run. The Nikon replacement battery was $65 at the same store. At the time the KX also had a rebate.

2000 images later, a whole bunch of lenses and accessories added – I don’t have any complaints about the KX.