Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x Dual lens kit

Hi all,

I'm another newbie led to this forum because of the K-x. I'm about to make the leap from my bridge/superzoom camera (Canon S5 IS) to the wonderful world of DSLRs. I've grown quite comfortable with my camera's range (36-432mm [35mm equ.]), so I'm thinking about going for the 18-55 + 55-300 kit. But... one of the "features" that attracts me to the K-x is the multiple colors that it comes in. I would really like to have a navy blue K-x. Unfortunately, so far, it looks like the dual lens kits are only bundled with a black body.

So, my question is, does anyone know or have a clue whether or not Pentax will sell either dual lens kits with the different colored bodies? If not, can anyone point me to a decent lens, 1st or 3rd party, comparable to the 55-300 in focal range, IQ, aperture, build quality, and price. Also, I wouldn't mind substituting the 55-300 with a lens that has a wider range like 28-280mm (35mm equ.).

If anything, I'm willing to settle for a dual lens kit with a black body, but it'd be nice to know if having those lenses bundled with a navy blue body will be an available option.

11-13-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
Inactive Account

One option could be just to get the color you want and then hope to find someone selling the 55-300mm kit lens that they don't want. Sometimes there are such good kit deals out there that people buy it knowing full well they will turn around and sell one of the lens. Or just save the cash and look into getting a lens of your own choice that's more what you are use to.
11-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I noticed a new 55-300mm from someone's kit in the marketplace earlier this morning. Seems like it was a fair price, but I didn't look too closely. Might be worth looking into if you're ready to buy now..?
11-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

While you can certainly substitute the lenses for a 18-250 (28-375 eq) lens (the best IQ, there are other ones which are 18-200, 28-300, 28-200), it will not be up to par in comparison IQ wise to 18-55mm + 55-300mm, particularly if you crop a lot and/or print large.

But will still be notably better than a small sensor superzoom.

Here are what these lenses are capable of (note that these are most likely not cropped, just scaled down to a lower resolution where they look much more equal.)

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=EXIF-LENS&subSection=3680&sub...95&language=EN

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=EXIF-LENS&subSection=60&subSu...92&language=EN

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=EXIF-LENS&subSection=3720&sub...53&language=EN

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=EXIF-LENS&subSection=2060&sub...71&language=EN

11-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah, that's a good idea, TimothyB. Thanks for suggesting it. I'll just keep an eye out for a decent deal on the 55-300, and if I find one, I'll purchase the navy blue body kit. Gah, I can't such a simple solution escaped me.

Thanks for the heads up, tvfd911!

And Eruditass, thanks for posting those links. IMO, that's some very good IQ coming from the kit lens.

Well, I was planning to "invest" in the K-x around Christmas time, and after seeing those pics that Eruditass linked, I can't wait! Thanks again for the help!
11-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Also, I go to . Then I log into the forum and go into my user account where I can setup deal watch. Basically I chose the keyword "Pentax," and anytime someone makes a new thread in the hot deals area, I get an instant e-mail with a link to it. Might be related to a different model, or simply a SD card, but it's best to find out right away that to be just late enough to miss out on the deal.

And sometimes in those hot deals related to lens kits, some users might out right say they plan to sell the lens to make the price even better to them.