Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2009, 04:03 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jorgitog1 Quote
Thanks for all your replies.
I am new to SLRs but have been taking pictures with point and shoot cameras for about 10 years now and had been hesitant about getting an slr because to be quite honest I thought my point and shoot pictures were better looking pictures than most of the pictures my friends with SLRs would show me.
After seeing some of the pentax k-x samples I thought this was the right time for me to get into slr photography.
My previous camera was a Sony DSC-H5. Here is a sample of a picture my teenager daughter took with the camera:
Flickr Photo Download: Aubrey's Picture
She does not have the most steady grip but the camera is able to produce pictures with a very respectable degree of focus (at least for my non photography expert eyes). I can count on the DSC-H5 to give me that kind of output from pictures I take the majority of the time which is why I have been very frustrated with the k-x since I have gotten the same lack of focus even using a tripod.
Anyway, I will continue to try to educate myself in these beginner issues related to photography and hopefully I'll have better results with the k-x.
I got burned by this also... basically you need to almost forget everything you knew about taking shots with a P&S.. you need to understand several things.. the main one i struggled with is the Depth of Field (DOF) on a P&s the small sensor gives a massive DOF which means that generally you have a lot of the view in focus all the time. This obviously helps things being in focus. Im not too sure but i also seem to remember that my old P&S needed much less light (probably due to the f2.8 lens, which had a large DOF due to the sensor) to get some shots.. f2.8 on a DSLR gives a minute DOF.. even f5.6 @300mm will give a shallow DOF and appear to compress the image.

I went from a P&S to a k20d.. and was having lots of problems.. the help i got on here helped me loads.. and i went from having about 1% of keepers to 75% or more (by keepers i mean ones that i judge as acceptable! ) more money on the lens's will help.. but take one step at a time.. im currently biding my time on a da* 16-50 and 50-135.. to replace the sigma 28-70 f2.8 that i bought cheap off ebay.. but money is getting spent elswhere and i'm still learning how to use my camera!

keep persevering.. you'll get there.. and ask... loads of incredibly helpful and talented guys on here (i class myself as helpful!)

thanks

Steve

11-15-2009, 04:37 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Depth of field is based on both the lens and the sensor. Point and shoots have amazing depth of field and therefore have few problems with focusing. They do require similar amounts of light to shoot and therefore have a great tendency to use flash, even in what appears to be decent lighting. Work on hand holding technique -- getting your arms close in to your body when shooting and trying to breathe out right before your shot. Also, you can comfortably push up your iso in order to get faster shutter speeds.

You could consider better lenses, but I would really wait until you have maxxed out your current gear. If you got better lenses, I am afraid you would still be frustrated. Point and shoots take good photos, but in the end, with a little work, you will take much better photos with your new camera!
11-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

My previous camera was a Sony DSC-H5. Here is a sample of a picture my teenager daughter took with the camera:
She does not have the most steady grip but the camera is able to produce pictures with a very respectable degree of focus (at least for my non photography expert eyes).
Well, sure - that picture was taken outdoors in bright light. The EXIF info is gone, but I'll bet the shutter speed was in the hundreds. Yours was simly way to slow. Step one to fixing the problem is to realize it has nothing to do with focus - it's camera shake from using too slow a shutter speed, period. Try that DSC-H5 indoors with no flash like you were trying with your K-x and see what kind of shutter speeds you get - most likely, you'll get pictures far worse.

QuoteQuote:
I can count on the DSC-H5 to give me that kind of output from pictures I take the majority of the time which is why I have been very frustrated with the k-x since I have gotten the same lack of focus even using a tripod.
Post one of those pictures, then, and tell us which focus point you selected. BTW, when shooting with a tripod, you need to either turn off SR, or better yet, use the 2-second timer, which automatically turns off SR but also raises the mirror 2 seconds before the picture is taken, thus reducing that as a source of vibration.
11-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am new to SLRs but have been taking pictures with point and shoot cameras for about 10 years now and had been hesitant about getting an slr because to be quite honest I thought my point and shoot pictures were better looking pictures than most of the pictures my friends with SLRs would show me.
After seeing some of the pentax k-x samples I thought this was the right time for me to get into slr photography.
She does not have the most steady grip but the camera is able to produce pictures with a very respectable degree of focus (at least for my non photography expert eyes). I can count on the DSC-H5 to give me that kind of output from pictures I take the majority of the time which is why I have been very frustrated with the k-x since I have gotten the same lack of focus even using a tripod.
Anyway, I will continue to try to educate myself in these beginner issues related to photography and hopefully I'll have better results with the k-x.
I have my fair share of good macros with my P&S as well, but it's likely your SLR friends are less of a photographer than you. Happend many times with me.

If you spend less than $100 on slr equipment you can get pictures like this, though!

Flickr: Thomas Shahan (Opo Terser)'s Photostream

11-16-2009, 06:08 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I am new to SLRs but have been taking pictures with point and shoot cameras for about 10 years now and had been hesitant about getting an slr because to be quite honest I thought my point and shoot pictures were better looking pictures than most of the pictures my friends with SLRs would show me..
And that just proves that it's NOT all about the equipment.
11-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Well, sure - that picture was taken outdoors in bright light. The EXIF info is gone, but I'll bet the shutter speed was in the hundreds.
It actually is in there - it just wasn't on that page! You had to click back to the gallery...

Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 18.6 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: +2 EV

Who knows that that focal length equivalent is...thanks to some math and the internet (the zoom range is 6-72mm, 36-432mm in 35mm terms) looks like about 110mm - I am actually alittle surprised it is not as 'zoomed' in as I thought it would be. Must have been pretty close up.
11-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
It actually is in there - it just wasn't on that page! You had to click back to the gallery...

Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Well, there you go then. Like I said, it was all about the much greater light alliowing for much faster shutter speeds. You were several stops *below* the 1 / 35-mm-equiv-focal-length threshold, she was comfortably *above* it. Again, it's not the lens. Your lenses can easily do just as well in those same conditions.

Here, BTW, are a couple of closeups from the kit lenses. First, the 18-55:

and here the 50-200:

11-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wow Marc!!!

Those are gorgeous shots....

They give me a lot of encouragement.

You definitely know what you are doing.....

11-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #24

Hey, thanks for the question and comments. I just learned a lot.
This is a great forum!