Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Can I use this flash with my K-x?

I've come into possession of a Kalimar TW-3600 flash unit. Can I use this with my K-x?

It was free, so if I can't use it, it's not like I'm out any money.

Thanks.

11-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is your old flash safe for digital? - Photo.net Filter, Bags, Tripods and Accessories Forum

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

First link is a discussion about this flash, second is comprehensive list of trigger voltages for various flashed listed alphabetically - Kalimar is about half was down. I'm not sure how much functionality you would get from this flash, it likely isn't P-TTL. I would say use at your own risk, I am sure more educated responses will follow!
11-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It's safe to use on the shoe.

What degree of customization of the light that comes out of it...I don't know. I did a quick Google Image search on it and it has the little slider thinger...those usually give you about 3 different power settings.

That means: You will have to use a certain ISO and/or aperture to make the flash brighter/softer. So if f/4 at ISO 100 is too bright...well...you'll need f/11 or f/16, for example.

If you want a nice, full manual, cheaper model, check out the Nikon SB-2x series ("x" = a number between 2 and 8). I have an SB-24 and it's great.
11-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I looked at pxpaulx link and that looks like a quite decent thyristor flash.

It will not be an TTL flash but it will have various auto modes, in which you select an aperture and the flash emits the right amount of light by measuring the reflected light from your subject.

The operating procedure would be to put your camera in manual mode and select a shutter speed of 1/180s or slower and the aperture and ISO you would like to use.

I would suggest choosing ISO 200, F5.6 and 1/90s to start.

The tricky part is which colored setting from the switch on the front to use. On the back of your flash you'll will find a table and sometimes a slider or wheel with which you can look up the color of the front switch setting which matches with a certain camera aperture and ISO setting. You can also experiment with a static subject till you get the right exposure and as long as you don't change the aperture the flash will adapt to various subject distances.

In general those old thyristor flashes give excellent results and this model with dual tubes looks like a quite sophisticated one. You should really try it, a new P-TTL flash will not give better results, once you have figured out how to use this old flash.

Mainly when using wireless or macro or HSS dedicated modern flashes offer a real advantage.

11-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Is your old flash safe for digital? - Photo.net Filter, Bags, Tripods and Accessories Forum

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

First link is a discussion about this flash, second is comprehensive list of trigger voltages for various flashed listed alphabetically - Kalimar is about half was down. I'm not sure how much functionality you would get from this flash, it likely isn't P-TTL. I would say use at your own risk, I am sure more educated responses will follow!
I saw that article too, but I wanted to get the forum's opinion on it.

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
It's safe to use on the shoe.

What degree of customization of the light that comes out of it...I don't know. I did a quick Google Image search on it and it has the little slider thinger...those usually give you about 3 different power settings.

That means: You will have to use a certain ISO and/or aperture to make the flash brighter/softer. So if f/4 at ISO 100 is too bright...well...you'll need f/11 or f/16, for example.

If you want a nice, full manual, cheaper model, check out the Nikon SB-2x series ("x" = a number between 2 and 8). I have an SB-24 and it's great.
Can't get cheaper than free. The flash was in a camera bag given to me that contained 3 lenses and a Minolta X-7a film camera. One of the lenses is a Kalamar 80-200mm Auto Zoom Macro lens. The other 2 are Minolta lenses: 50mm and 28-70mm. Be nice if they worked on the K-x, but I doubt it.

I do plan to buy a flash meant for a DSLR at some point. Thanks for the flash suggestion.

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
I looked at pxpaulx link and that looks like a quite decent thyristor flash.

It will not be an TTL flash but it will have various auto modes, in which you select an aperture and the flash emits the right amount of light by measuring the reflected light from your subject.

The operating procedure would be to put your camera in manual mode and select a shutter speed of 1/180s or slower and the aperture and ISO you would like to use.

I would suggest choosing ISO 200, F5.6 and 1/90s to start.

The tricky part is which colored setting from the switch on the front to use. On the back of your flash you'll will find a table and sometimes a slider or wheel with which you can look up the color of the front switch setting which matches with a certain camera aperture and ISO setting. You can also experiment with a static subject till you get the right exposure and as long as you don't change the aperture the flash will adapt to various subject distances.

In general those old thyristor flashes give excellent results and this model with dual tubes looks like a quite sophisticated one. You should really try it, a new P-TTL flash will not give better results, once you have figured out how to use this old flash.

Mainly when using wireless or macro or HSS dedicated modern flashes offer a real advantage.
Looks like I'll be throwing some fresh AAs into it and giving it a whirl over the weekend.

It's also pretty obvious I have ALOT to learn too...

Thanks for all the responses.