Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
RAW+ and histogram question

When I shoot RAW+ and then check the histogram on the LCD, does the histogram represent the RAW file or the jpeg file?

Here is why I ask. Whenever I shoot RAW+ on my K20D and my K200D, I get exemplary looking histograms on the LCD, but when I view the files with histograms side by side in PP most of the RAW files (and corresponding histograms) are underexposed by at least one stop and all of the jpegs (and their histograms) are properly exposed.

11-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JPEG. Even when shooting RAW only, it makes a thumbnail for the histogram which is based on the in-camera settings. There are instructions online to get the best histogram for RAW, which unfortunately will screw up any JPEG shooting.

RAW may appear underexposed, but that just may be how your RAW program is previewing it - showing the extra highlight range instead of clipping.
11-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
When I shoot RAW+ and then check the histogram on the LCD, does the histogram represent the RAW file or the jpeg file?

Here is why I ask. Whenever I shoot RAW+ on my K20D and my K200D, I get exemplary looking histograms on the LCD, but when I view the files with histograms side by side in PP most of the RAW files (and corresponding histograms) are underexposed by at least one stop and all of the jpegs (and their histograms) are properly exposed.
Well all views are from a converted RAW. You can't really see RAW but I guess that's a bit beside the point. Sounds more like your converter is changing the image by either decreasing exposure due to a pre set or changing the curve applied to the raw data.
Need more info as to which converter......
11-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you! That explains a lot, and I am sure that, when I have done all the reading, that I will be a better photographer for it. Those dark DNG files in spite of shooting to the right of the histogram, have been frustrating me for some time. I am going to experiment with my camera's jpeg settings this weekend.