Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #1

K-X - when to buy

Good Morning all....

I have been lurking on the board for a few weeks now and based on what I have seen, I am 100% certain that I am going to enter the world of DSLR with the K-X... but now my question is when to take the plunge...

I have been watching local retailers (in Canada).. Henry's, Blacks, futureshop etc. for the KX, and in seems firmly planted at 699 cdn with the exception of the odd small discount.... But that is for the 18-55 bundle, and I would prefer a 2 lense bundle to get me started....I have also looked at newegg.ca, which for a while had the 18-55/55-200 bundle for ~750 but it is gone now.... My apprehension with newegg, or online retailers is the warranty, (pentax canada offers a 2 year if purchased from an authorized retailer).

In my 'research' I have noticed passing references to 'christmas pricing' so I am curious if the K-X will see drastic discounts in the coming weeks, given its still somewhat rolling out. Henry's currently has the 18-55/55-200 for ~850 cdn plus it includes an 'accessory kit valued at 99.99'. Would this be the time to strike, or would it be advisable to sit and wait.

Does anybody out there have experience with 'christmas pricing' on previous pentax models?

Thanks

11-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I am not so much sure about Christmas pricing specifically. More than likely camera MSRPs tend to remain constant. They had already announced some rebates for the K7 (and maybe Kx) direct to dealer overseas, so I kind of thing the window has already passed for a holiday discount (Especially since this is, essentially, a holiday release as it stands).

As far as warranty is concerned, have you checked your visa? In the US they sometimes carry a warranty doubling upto 1 year. My thoughts on warranty are this - when it comes to lenses it is better to have as long as possible - these are typically mechanical, so any damage or repairs needed will likely stem from some physical failure. Bodies however, are pretty much purely an electronic product now. The only thing mechanical is the shutter - rated to 100000 actuations by Pentax. As far as electronic products go in my book, I remember reading that failure rates tend to follow a bathtub scale. That is, failure starts with a peak - at initial purchase there is an obvious problem that needs to be rectified immediately (such as the battery problems a handful of users with cameras in a specific serial number batch are experiencing). The scale/graph then falls very low (the bottom of the tub), where the product acts as it should for any number of years (you can see old k100d's, *istDLs, etc in the marketplace still going strong). Then, at the end of its lifespan failures go back up at the other end of the 'tub' as products come to their actual useful life.

Sorry if that was alittle too much diatribe, but it is early on a saturday and I am eagerly awaiting my white Kx to be delivered (thanks to fedex home saturday delivery, which I didn't even have to pay extra for!)

Have you looked at prodigital2000 on ebay? they currently have the 18-55/55-300 kit for $799 (USD, they are a canadian seller though, not sure if they also sell straight in CAD, but shipping is $10 to Canada if I recall correctly). You can always ask them if they charge tax for CA residents and what kind of warranty CA residents receive - can't hurt! I've bought a few smaller things from them without problem, and they seem to be received favorably in other discussions I have read. That Henry's kit sounded reasonable as well. And, Newegg is newegg, very reputable and worth the consideration. Hope that helps!
11-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-x is pretty much $650 everywhere with the single kit lens. If you are entering DSLR, just get this kit and play with that ONE lens. You don't know which lenses you will need until you had the chance to play with what you have and realize what it doesn't do.

For anyone entering DSLR, I advice them to buy an 18-250 lens and then figure out what it won't do for you.
11-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Agree

QuoteOriginally posted by innershell Quote

For anyone entering DSLR, I advice them to buy an 18-250 lens and then figure out what it won't do for you.
Perhaps not right for everyone. OTOH, that's exactly what I did two years ago and it turned out to be a fine decision.

11-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Perhaps not right for everyone. OTOH, that's exactly what I did two years ago and it turned out to be a fine decision.
I agree with this - the 55-300 is simply a stellar lens, and at the price it is being sold in the kit, you would easily get your money back (at least) if you decided it wasnt right for you. It is not terribly difficult or too inconvenient to change between 2 lenses either! The 55-300 also retains f4.5 through about 200mm - better than an 18-250 fares.
11-15-2009, 06:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone...

my next question is now how does the 55-200 stack up against the 55-300 (with the obviously smaller focal length aside)? It seems as though the 55-200 package is available in store for about the same as the 55-300 package is on-line, and with +/- 1000 in expendatures by the time taxes are tacked on, something about walking into the store is more comforting. That being said, if the 55-300 is leaps and bounds over the 55-200 than that may go along way in the decision making process.

Thanks again.
11-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bob_00 Quote
my next question is now how does the 55-200 stack up against the 55-300 (with the obviously smaller focal length aside)? It seems as though the 55-200 package is available in store for about the same as the 55-300 package is on-line, and with +/- 1000 in expendatures by the time taxes are tacked on, something about walking into the store is more comforting. That being said, if the 55-300 is leaps and bounds over the 55-200 than that may go along way in the decision making process.
The general opinion is that the 55-300 is better and it's 300mm is really good for a non expensive zoom. It's however also somewhat bigger and heavier, it mainly depends on how much you value the 200-300 range.

I'm personally in favor of supporting brick and mortar stores, but I find that most nearby stores don't have anything interesting on stock. In the end I often make the compromise to buy over the internet but at a good brick and mortar store (one that I visit once or twice a year) that sells for decent prices both in the shop and over the internet.

I would suggest getting the 55-300.