Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My thoughts on Pentax rendering would mirror Wheatfield's. You will have a little adjusting to do with a new platform, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you like, have a look at the wedding photography link in my signature line. There are some samples there.

I have a pair of second shooters that use other brands, one Canon and the other Nikon (thier images are not on my site). IMO the Nikon metering and image rendering is very close to Pentax. They both meter to save the highlights and not blow out a scene which has a broad dynamic range (IE Bright sky and dark foreground). Canon on the other hand appear to blow out a lot and the images seem flat and cold to my eye. Of the 3 in rendering, Pentax is warmest, Nikon, very close to that and Canon the coldest. Some of this has to do with the lenses though. Pentax lenses are a bit warmer than say a Sigma or Tamron. Nikon and Pentax meter very similarly (Pentax might be a touch under exposed compared to a Nikon but only slightly) and I'd say Canon is set to 2/3 or 1 full stop brighter.

So over all I think you'd like the rendering/metering and the first 3 lenses you've chosen would be winners. Down the road add a couple of Limited primes (some of the best glass available anywhere) and you have a great system for this type of work. May I suggest at some point giving the 3mm Ltd, 43mm Ltd and the 70 or 77mm Ltd some serious consideration.

11-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's a few interesting hands-on (rather than technical) reviews at the Online Photographer

The Online Photographer: Pentax K-7: Carl Battreall's Field Review

The Gordon Lewis review is, I think, quite good:

The Online Photographer: Pentax K-7 Review, Part I

The Online Photographer: Pentax K-7 Review, Part II

The Online Photographer: Pentax K-7 Review, Part III

His follow up:

Shutterfinger: The Pentax K-7: Post-review Reflections
11-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello;

I like you started with the Pentax K1000 when I was at Architectural School. I have used Nikon, Canon and most recently Pentax for professional usage. All three of these manufacturers produce some very fine glass. I do own the lenses you are considering purchasing excepting the 300, as I rarely shoot long. I will say that Pentax' lens Multi Coating and color rendition is excellent and represent some of the finer lenses available on the market today. The Ltd and DA* lenses are outstanding.

These are the lenses I own and have marked in bold which I use most for my purposes.

All Pentax:

21mm Ltd
31mm Ltd
40mm Ltd
43mm Ltd
50mm FA 1.4
70mm Ltd
100mm DA Macro
12-24 DA
16-45 DA
16-50 DA*
50-135 DA*

Tamron Mirror 500mm

Have no problem synching to studio flash systems remotely or attaching my synchro cable.

The K7 and Grip like the K20D and Grip makes a very nice ensemble.
Been using Pentax since leaving Canon for around three years and have been published world wide using Pentax gear.
Attached Images

Last edited by benjikan; 11-16-2009 at 09:59 AM.
11-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianN Quote
I was just thinking... if you want the camera system for landscapes, portraits and aviation (in flight?), maybe it would be worth waiting for the 645D.
I have considered MF but the margin for error, especially on moving subjects and in moving subjects are somewhat greater. The 645DIII and Leaf Aptus II 28 would be nice but doesn't cover all my aspects of photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I think for that kind of investment, I'd have to drop a couple hundred at:

CameraLensRentals.com - Canon, Nikon and Pentax Lens Rentals

K-7 for a week is $119

Then pick up a prime set for another hundredish:

Pentax 31mm f/1.8 Limited (Black) smcP-FA $45
Pentax 43mm f/1.9 Limited (Black) smcP-FA $28
Pentax 77mm f/1.8 Limited (Black) smcP-FA $36
Pentax 200mm f/2.8 ED(IF) SDM smc P-DA* $42

Then try out the zooms:
Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM smcP-DA $54
Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM smcP-DA $36

I doubt you'll want to send them back, and doubt even more you can really thoroughly test that many lenses in a week, but if you did try it out, risking $400 against the kind of investment you're talking about sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Tha is a great idea. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Yes, but the OP seemed to indicate that he wanted to spend less than $10,000.
$10,000 is correct. I have put this amount aside from last years profits. The rest has been spent (car, holidays and Christmas is coming up too).

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
My thoughts on Pentax rendering would mirror Wheatfield's. You will have a little adjusting to do with a new platform, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you like, have a look at the wedding photography link in my signature line. There are some samples there.

I have a pair of second shooters that use other brands, one Canon and the other Nikon (thier images are not on my site). IMO the Nikon metering and image rendering is very close to Pentax. They both meter to save the highlights and not blow out a scene which has a broad dynamic range (IE Bright sky and dark foreground). Canon on the other hand appear to blow out a lot and the images seem flat and cold to my eye. Of the 3 in rendering, Pentax is warmest, Nikon, very close to that and Canon the coldest. Some of this has to do with the lenses though. Pentax lenses are a bit warmer than say a Sigma or Tamron. Nikon and Pentax meter very similarly (Pentax might be a touch under exposed compared to a Nikon but only slightly) and I'd say Canon is set to 2/3 or 1 full stop brighter.

So over all I think you'd like the rendering/metering and the first 3 lenses you've chosen would be winners. Down the road add a couple of Limited primes (some of the best glass available anywhere) and you have a great system for this type of work. May I suggest at some point giving the 3mm Ltd, 43mm Ltd and the 70 or 77mm Ltd some serious consideration.
Thats an interesting insight. If purchasing I will be adding primes to an initial setup, I prefer using them in a studio and even landscapes.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hello;

I like you started with the Pentax K1000 when I was at Architectural School. I have used Nikon, Canon and most recently Pentax for professional usage. All three of these manufacturers produce some very fine glass. I do own the lenses you are considering purchasing excepting the 300, as I rarely shoot long. I will say that Pentax' lens Multi Coating and color rendition is excellent and represent some of the finer lenses available on the market today. The Ltd and DA* lenses are outstanding.

These are the lenses I own and have marked in bold which I use most for my purposes.

All Pentax:

21mm Ltd
31mm Ltd
40mm Ltd
43mm Ltd
50mm FA 1.4
70mm Ltd
100mm DA Macro
12-24 DA
16-45 DA
16-50 DA*
50-135 DA*

Tamron Mirror 500mm

Have no problem synching to studio flash systems remotely or attaching my synchro cable.

The K7 and Grip like the K20D and Grip makes a very nice ensemble.
Been using Pentax since leaving Canon for around three years and have been published world wide using Pentax gear.
Thank very much!

I'll rent the equipment for a week or two. Take it from there and make up my mind. I have a few shoots coming up both portrait and an aviation article. It will allow me to put the equipment through its paces.

Thank everyone!

11-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by King_Boru Quote
I have considered MF but the margin for error, especially on moving subjects and in moving subjects are somewhat greater. The 645DIII and Leaf Aptus II 28 would be nice but doesn't cover all my aspects of photography.

Tha is a great idea. Thanks.

$10,000 is correct. I have put this amount aside from last years profits. The rest has been spent (car, holidays and Christmas is coming up too).

Thats an interesting insight. If purchasing I will be adding primes to an initial setup, I prefer using them in a studio and even landscapes.

Thank very much!

I'll rent the equipment for a week or two. Take it from there and make up my mind. I have a few shoots coming up both portrait and an aviation article. It will allow me to put the equipment through its paces.

Thank everyone!
post what you find I would be intrested
11-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by King_Boru Quote

Thank everyone!
I just realized you're in Canada. CameraLensRentals doesn't rent to Canada, unfortunately, but maybe a local shop does. That availability for rental issue can be an issue for a professional. Any chance you have relatives or friends in Montana?
11-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I just realized you're in Canada. CameraLensRentals doesn't rent to Canada, unfortunately, but maybe a local shop does. That availability for rental issue can be an issue for a professional. Any chance you have relatives or friends in Montana?
Unfortunately not. I am trying to source local rental companies. See what happens.