Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excited about another shot at *ist DS

K20D was my first DSLR/non-Point and Shoot/Pentax about a year ago.

Started off mostly with landscape, nature and some indoor, backyard family portraiture. All was good with the slow learning process until I got a *ist DS from a forum member, around the same time when I also got an excellent copy of 50-200 in a trade. I kept the *ist DS only for a few months. After I got the *ist DS though, the number of photos I was taking on an average instantly went up by 3-4 times, and may be more than 10 times when it came to street photography which I seemed to enjoy also.

May be that was so because the *ist DS is much smaller than my K20D, easier to hold and shoot with one hand, or may be because it was inexpensive enough for me to slap a kit lens (18-55 II or 50-200) on, and toss it into the back of my car without any hesitation wherever I went. Nevertheless, I took many, many more photos with it than I did with the K20D, and obviously ended up with a lot many more keepers because *ist DS is just a darn good little camera. In the little time I had it, the *ist DS gave me several surprise PPG entries as well.

And on a not so fine day, I unfortunately sold the *ist DS on impulse (why else?) when I saw a plea for one in the Wanted Items. Subsequently got a second K20D body not too long after when I found a good deal thinking I needed a similar backup body for my main camera. Still the number of photos I was taking away from home didn't go up. Started to take one of the K20Ds and a fine copy of 18-250 with me to more places but still without a big improvement in numbers. Frustrated and confused, and knowing well the only way I could improve was to take more and more photos which just wasn't happening with the K20D, I just went ahead and purchased another *ist DS from another forum member.

Now that I have a DA 40mm f2.8 which I didn't back when I had the first *ist DS, I am anxiously waiting to take this combo with me everywhere I go. Too bad the autumn colors started to fade but still, but I guess its better late than never that I've found another nice, little and capable body to take along everywhere I go