Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Nube here w/ k100d

Just got it last Friday (found your site Monday) and already have taken some pics. Just not sure how I did it though. I am using my old M lenses and found the "manual" not very explicit on how to do this. Av or M settings? w/flash? how about the "symbol" settings? Has anyone published or posted a guide book/notes? Thanks in advance for the help

06-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FAQ section is a great help. You mention M but as i don't think you mean Screwmount this link may be useful:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-faq/33-can-i-use-smc-pentax-l...-d-ist-ds.html

And this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-faq/32-can-i-use-k-m-lenses-my-ist-d-ist-ds.html

In this regard the K100D works in the same manner as DS and DL cameras.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 06-06-2007 at 05:43 AM. Reason: additions
06-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I think "M" mode only, CW or Spot metering.

Once you change the custom setting to allow aperature ring, you can use the AE-L button to let the camera set a shutter speed it thinks is appropriate. It will close the lens aperature down to the aperature ring setting to do this.

Alternatively, you can use the digital DOF preview lever to snap a test shot that appears on the LCD with histogram, you can use this to decide how to adjust your manual exposure settings and try again. Once you are satified with the exposure settings, fire away!!

enjoy. I find that most often I am taking pictures of subjects under static lighting that may be tricky. This procedure lets me decide on the exposure, without morrying about the meter being tricked by back lighting, light/dark subjects etc... after getting the exposure set, I can concentrate on the subject. I can shoot a whole baseball/basketball game etc.. with only adjusting the exposure once or twice. Who wants to worry about whether I am zoomed in to a white uniform, have a dark green grass background or bright sky background? The subjects are all under the same lighting! (mostly)

edit: put "Boz Pentax" into google and enjoy the most wonderful pentax equipment site anywhere! Let us know what lenses you have. people love to chat about the gear!

Last edited by kmccanta; 06-06-2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: forgot to suggest the Boz site
06-07-2007, 04:02 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Your right Arjay, the lenses I have are K-mount "bayonet" style. No auto settings. I'm having great time experimenting. It's really neat due to the immediate results versus the old days when I had to process the film or wait for it to return from the processors to see if "I done good"..