Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
Hi subidoc, I'm also a DS user. I'm very happy with it.

I've got a AF-280T flash, which is TTL, and as Lowell mentioned, DS supports TTL flash, so that might be useful for you if you have older flash units.

Anyway, it does seem K-7 is the logical choice if you're looking for a replacement, based on your requirements. From my perspective, all things electronic depreciate so quickly, esp DSLR bodies, so if you still have a working camera and you're mostly happy with it, I wouldn't be rushing to replace it. Who knows: you'll get a few extra bucks in your pocket if you wait say, another 6 months or so? The DS seems to be built like a tank (well, at least compared to my friends' EOS400s), so it might just last you longer than you think!

And, I'm sure the DS is still lighter/smaller than the K-7 (though probably not by much), and I really like how the DS runs off just AA batteries as well.

Also, I find the size of the RAW files at about 9Mb each (being a 6MP camera) is just about the right size for me to work with. As you said, 6MP is plenty for a lot of situations. I'm sure the K-7 RAW file would be quite a bit larger.
Thanks for your thoughts, and I agree with your points. I have the same flash, but need to use it more. I am planning to wait as long as I can. I am going to write K-1 on the wall at home... That way, SHE knows what's coming. Now I am going to plan to get rid of theat damn Canon.

Yeah, the DS feels good.

11-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #17

Backup Camera

Do you really need an SLR for a backup?
Before I bought my ist DS, I was shooting with a Panasonic TZ-1 which I originally purchased as a backup for my wife's TZ-1. She uses her camera heavily for newspaper work, and has a history of being 'hard' on cameras. Hence the spare TZ-1 - no retraining required.
The ist DS was purchased to do things I couldn't do with the TZ-1 such as external flash, 1:1 macro, etc.
Wife's TZ-1 got run over by a Nissan Pathfinder. LCD was crushed (repairable), but the camera still worked (amazing). However the camera was also a bit 'short' and the photos were out of focus! Anyway, she's now using the 'backup' TZ-1, and I haven't had a chance to replace it.
Not that I'm pushing the TZ-1. It's just that P&S cameras can take good photos, and are probably adequate for 95% of your photo needs.

Al
11-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #18
iht
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I am planning to wait as long as I can
That might be a while. The shutter is supposed to last you 100k shots or something huge. I bought mine this year with only 4k on it.

QuoteQuote:
Yeah, the DS feels good.
Yeah!

QuoteQuote:
Do you really need an SLR for a backup?
I suppose if subidoc eventually gets a K-7 (or the K-1!), then the DS naturally becomes the backup body, unless he goes to the trouble of selling it. It's worth about US$200, which is roughly the price of an average PnS anyway.

QuoteQuote:
It's just that P&S cameras can take good photos, and are probably adequate for 95% of your photo needs.
That depends. For me, the PnS was (still is) great for carrying around, and for learning to frame a picture. I had a Canon Powershot with manual modes. However, upgrading to the DS meant doing away with shutter lags, having interchangeable lenses and a much bigger sensor. An example: a PnS just can't blur out the background and shoot in low light like a 50mm f1.4 can. The DS is slow by today's standards, but it's still heaps snappier than even your modern average PnS.

You might have gathered this by now - I really like the DS! I think it's amazing how it's still so useable given it was released in 2004. I often have people mistaking it as a PnS because of its small size, or a 40D user looking on with envy. Not everyone likes the loud shutter, but it impresses some people who think it sounds "more professional"!

Last edited by iht; 11-18-2009 at 01:26 AM.
11-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
RAW DNG files on my K-7 runs around from 17-19MB each and a formatted 4GB SDHC can only fit 161 of them, so it's a huge memory hogger.
16Gb SD cost just 30 bucks - it'll do for 1000 pics in raw

11-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #20
Forum Member

both kX and k7 will do - better CMOP vs better body
11-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
That might be a while. The shutter is supposed to last you 100k shots or something huge. I bought mine this year with only 4k on it.

That depends. For me, the PnS was (still is) great for carrying around, and for learning to frame a picture. I had a Canon Powershot with manual modes. However, upgrading to the DS meant doing away with shutter lags, having interchangeable lenses and a much bigger sensor. An example: a PnS just can't blur out the background and shoot in low light like a 50mm f1.4 can. The DS is slow by today's standards, but it's still heaps snappier than even your modern average PnS.
I think you just echoed my thoughts.... I'll wait till 100K shots, if it will last that long. Its like me wanting to take my Subaru to 200K miles