Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How many shots do you take with hybrid batteries?
<300 213.33%
300-600 320.00%
600-1000 426.67%
>1000 640.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 04:33 AM   #1
Inactive Account

number of shots hybrid k-x

hi! now there is many people with this camera (k-x) and i guess everybody tried low self discharge batteries, this is not about video, liveview, hybrid brands, etc... just number of shots, with data enough, we can estimate the average of the normal user.

so, lets vote! it's just a second

Thank you!

edit. i am not able to edit the poll

Last edited by o_bender; 11-16-2009 at 08:21 AM.
11-16-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What do you mean by hybrids?
11-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think eneloops fall into the hybrid category? I am guessing Nimh batteries that hold their charge for an extended period.

I for one don't feel like sitting on the couch with my finger on the shutter until the battery dies. Guess I just don't machine gun enough to give a good sampling. I take most photos on vacation, even then I'm selective and shoot maybe a couple hundred a day - I guess I will have to wait until then to find out! For that reason, I am obstaining my vote. Also, why shouldn't the other uses count? It seems switching to liveview or video is what people are using as a defacto guide to whether or not a particular set of batteries is working.

I think if you want this to be anywhere close to scientific you need willing participants that will adhere to a specific battery of variables in order to determine whether their specific claims are justified. Otherwise it will all just be hearsay! Did I mention my wife is a biochemist?
11-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hi, yeah, i mean loz self discharge batteries (like eneloops), sorry about that, i guess that will be the most used ones.

i will be new to AA batteries and i would like to know a little more about their common use.
so, do you recharge batteries before die? isn't that bad for them? then, every time, after use your camera, you take off batteries and recharge them again?

i also think that a high enough number of votes will give us an idea about normal use, different batteries, some video, liveview... people will use all this things and that's what it is interesting. i won't take only pictures, or only hdr or only video, i will do a mix, just like the poll

of course, i didnt expect defective cameras, but i will add the option, it may be interesting

so, dont be shy and vote, your results are interesting too.

pd. i dont get the biochemist thing, is that relevant? then i am physicist

11-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, its perfectly fine to recharge them before they die. The old chemistry, NiCd, was prone to memory and required frequenty full discharge and recharges. NiMh don't suffer from this.

You can recharge as often as you like, no matter how little you have used them. The limiting factor here is a good charger - some will have less likely termination accuracy if they are not discharged a certain amount which will lead to overcharging and cooking the batteries.

See here:
TTA's Picks for Best Answers to Rechargeable Battery Questions - CandlePowerForums
11-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by o_bender Quote
pd. i dont get the biochemist thing, is that relevant? then i am physicist
Funny, I think she would say the same about physics! I was just thinking from a general scientific study perspective, analysizing all the variables that could be involved with determining a specific user's actual usage and trying the equate that to a shutter count - only because these newer cameras do so much more than just take photos, like liveview, video, broader in-camera post-editing (like say, a k10d or k200d or istDL, etc etc).
11-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Subscribed!

11-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks eruditass for the info, i will read about that

pxpaulx, also i do, i just want to know the number of shots and i don't want to translate other kind of data, just average use, like i will.
i won't discard votes either, i don't usually do that... unless i am looking for a specific result, which i am not doing, if i was, i will only let vote people with lithiums and only taking shots without flash or liveview enable, that would be "publishable"

thanks everybody for voting
02-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Low Self-Discharge (LSD) NiMH batteries -
sometimes referred to as "hybrid"** batteries

Here's a list given in that Wikipedia link:
in the USA these types of batteries usually are marked "Pre-Charged", "Ready-to-Use", "Always Ready" to identify them.

There are confirmed re-badged eneloops - Duracell Pre-Charged, and Sony Cycle-Energy with the white top surrounds and marked made in Japan.

Kodak Pre-Charged are suspected of being re-badged GP ReCyko.

**"Hybrid" is a misnomer -
that's actually the name used by Ray-O-Vac for their LSD batteries