Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #1

Thinking about getting a used K200

I own a Nikon D40 and was thinking about switching systems and think the K200 whould be a good start and save money for lenses. I would love the K& but that would have to wait. I love taking pictures of landscapes and wildlife. I like my nikon but I dont see much of a upgrade path for me, because of the price.
I really don't care about full frame at all because I cant carry big cameras with a bad back so the more compact the camera and the lenses are the better. Weather sealing sounds great because
I go in rain and blizerds so the added protection would be nice. Im always afraid I will break my D40.

I hope this post makes sence

11-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #2

Original Poster
I wondering if this would be a good choice in my situation. also what is a good lens for a kit to start out with
11-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're looking for a relatively small, light, and inexpensive weather sealed camera, the K200D is indeed the obvious choice - not sure there is anything else even close. It's a great camera. As for a good lens to start with, the 18-55 it was usually sold with is also the obvious chocie unless you have other specific requirements. And even so, the best choice is often to get the 18-55 plus another lens or two. Although if you specifcally want a larger zoom range, or a wider angle, or a larger maximum aperture for low light, you could consider something like the various 18-250's or 17-70, or the 16-45, or the 16-50/2.8 or one of the Sigma or Tamron equivalents. Again though, unless you have a very specific reaosn to not start out with the 18-55, it's the natural choice for most peope.
11-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #4

Original Poster
was thinking more of DA* 17-50 or the WR version and maybe a cheap used 50mm prime and save up a year or two on DA* 70-250 maybe... Im not sure, maybe later a few limiteds if I get money

11-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi, i'd second a K200d, but I would think hard about what you are shooting in terms of lenses. You have indicated you shoot landscapes, so if you are serious about weathersealing I would buy the sealed kit lens (17-55 WR). In saying that, the 16-45 has worked for me in the snow down to some very cold temperatures without adverse effect. Neither of these lenses are particularly expensive.
For wildlife in the Pentax system, your options become limited. If you are on a budget, try the 50-200mm kit - the weather sealed version is supposed to be good and light (but slow).
The 200mm is good, expensive and limiting in terms of that being the only focal length you will have.
Marc's suggestion above regarding the 18-250mm is a good one for daylight shooting. I have seen some good results out of that lens. The lack of quick shift is probably the only reason I don't haveit.

The last recommendation I have is for the 55-300mm. This is non-sealed lens that is supposed to be quite good. There have also been some rumours that there would be a sealed version of this lens coming out soon.
11-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Hi, i'd second a K200d, but I would think hard about what you are shooting in terms of lenses. You have indicated you shoot landscapes, so if you are serious about weathersealing I would buy the sealed kit lens (17-55 WR). In saying that, the 16-45 has worked for me in the snow down to some very cold temperatures without adverse effect. Neither of these lenses are particularly expensive.
For wildlife in the Pentax system, your options become limited. If you are on a budget, try the 50-200mm kit - the weather sealed version is supposed to be good and light (but slow).
The 200mm is good, expensive and limiting in terms of that being the only focal length you will have.
Marc's suggestion above regarding the 18-250mm is a good one for daylight shooting. I have seen some good results out of that lens. The lack of quick shift is probably the only reason I don't haveit.

The last recommendation I have is for the 55-300mm. This is non-sealed lens that is supposed to be quite good. There have also been some rumours that there would be a sealed version of this lens coming out soon.
thanks alot for the sugestions. I know about the limit on telephoto lenses with the system. Im hoping pentax would come out with some new ones soon. I know about 70-250 DA* thats the closest thing I know about. Nikon has alot of nice telephotos and long... but most are really expencive
11-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
I also found K10 for 350$ is that any good and how much more bulk is it than K200

11-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #8

I use a K200d, and have been extremely happy with it, I would highly recommend it to any user, The only things I wish the K200d had is very specific to my type of photography (glamour), I wish I could shoe sync my wireless strobe trigger at speeds faster than 1/200 sec and I wish the ISO went below 100. Other than that it's a great camera. Check out my images I press it's K200d to the limits!

Best luck
Sam

http://rambo.zenfolio.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rambosphotography/
11-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by SLRPhotography Quote
I use a K200d, and have been extremely happy with it, I would highly recommend it to any user, The only things I wish the K200d had is very specific to my type of photography (glamour), I wish I could shoe sync my wireless strobe trigger at speeds faster than 1/200 sec and I wish the ISO went below 100. Other than that it's a great camera. Check out my images I press it's K200d to the limits!

Best luck
Sam

Zenfolio | SLR Photography Sam Rambo
Flickr: Samuel Rambo's Photostream

Samples of images I have produced with my K200d Please keep in mind these are lower rez due to flickr

11-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SLRPhotography Quote

Best luck
Sam

Zenfolio | SLR Photography Sam Rambo
Flickr: Samuel Rambo's Photostream
Thats good to hear
I dont use flash hardly mostly outdoors
WOW Im impressed with your pics. you use some hot models lol
you have good techniqu
11-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ecoronin Quote
Thats good to hear
I dont use flash hardly mostly outdoors
WOW Im impressed with your pics. you use some hot models lol
you have good techniqu
Thanks, Yeah right now I'm going through the debate of upgrading my camera to the K20d or K7 for the more rez. Yeah I yeah been fortunate to have a bunch of great models that like working with me. Oh and I don't use flash outdoors just strobes indoors
11-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #12

Like the image of the model you see here, I used a gold reflector, at about 1 pm in the afternoon with full sun, then I used a Cokin gradual blue filter on the sky.
11-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
cool
I dont have anyone here to use as model and always much to nervus to ask.
yeah I think you could do fine with either. personaly I would go with the K7 just for the size for meI like small.... dont have the money though
11-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ecoronin Quote
cool
I dont have anyone here to use as model and always much to nervus to ask.
yeah I think you could do fine with either. personaly I would go with the K7 just for the size for meI like small.... dont have the money though
LOL I'm just the opposite, like on my k200d I have the additional battery pack/hand grip. Which I love! so when I shoot portrait I have the second hand grip and second button. I figure what's a little bigger if your have tons of equipment to go with you anyway, LOL. As far as models, well they all travel from all over the northwest to shoot with me, I rarely work with local girls, and a good tip for you is Model Mayhem!

Sam
11-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #15

Original Poster
yeah, I like to hike and bike... go a distance the less wieght the better. I think I would like a grip for telephoto lenses though
I will remember that tip