Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I didn't really notice the exposure differences until afterwards. My daughters crew team had several boats entered in what is called a "Head" race where each boat is started 10 seconds apart and the start time of each boat is recorded and the time of finish a few miles down the river and often the faster boats overlap and there isn't much time to check things. I did check a few shots for exposure and check the histogram, usually the final shot of a burst and they looked ok. Afterwards, I noticed the random dark shots. I understand entirely how the exposure changed with spot metering but was puzzled on why the data was the same. On the later shots taken with the Pentax lens, I got the same results but data that matched the exposure. I always (or I should) use center weighted metering at these events. Reading off the rowers and boat, matrix metering picks up on the water and reflected sunlight and makes crazy readings and a burst with spot metering will change exposure as the it will read differently on the dark brown uniforms or skin. It only happened once and when I spot metered by accident. I did not switch metering modes until after I uploaded my card and saw the mistake.

08-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I know this thread is really really really old. But since the issues I had with the Bigma. I ordered a DA*300 and have shot at least a 4000 images in the same conditions as I would shoot with the Bigma and I have yet to get a dark photo and like I said that is in at least 4000 images. I'm wondering if maybe something is going wanky with the Bigma. I know since I have had the DA*300 the Bigma hasn't been out of it's case. And yes the camera's are on roughly the same settings as when I was using the Bigma. I just wanted to let everyone know what I have found out. I'm not saying anything bad about the Bigma.

Jim
08-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I would put money on this needing a shutter replacement. Have had the same, and seen the same thing. Same settings - some shots just coming out very underexposed. Shutter is gone.

Whoops just noticed this is old.
08-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a similar problem when I had "exposure compensation" in the custom settings turned on. Exposure compensation with spot metering could be disastrous. Not sure if the exif would record the changed settings.