Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2009, 05:49 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you would be very happy with the K20. The K7 adds video, faster fps and a lot of other things, but in your situation, you are unlikely to see significant difference in the photos between the K7 and the K20. Looks like you can still get a K20 for about 700 dollars, while the K7 is running a little over 1000.

As far as lenses go, auto focus options would be the FA 43 (pricey but sweet), DA*55 (ditto), FA 50 (a little soft wide open) or, either the DA 40/70 lenses. I love the DA 70 for portrait work, but it might be a little long for you. You can still get an FA 50 and if you stop it down a little, it would probably be perfect.

11-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kryosphinx Quote
I ran into a similar dilemma recently. I've got a K200d with a plethora of old lenses, and I was debating upgrading to K20d (K7 is too expensive, Kx isn't a great upgrade).

The K200d is a very very nice camera. IMO, the K20d is very similar to the K200d, just with a bigger body with more buttons and dials, as well as a nicer sensor. I didn't think that was worth $600, but if you're game, go for it. I don't think there's any way you'd be disappointed. K200d is great, but the K20d is amazing.

$600 put towards lenses would be my choice. Either one or two very nice modern lenses, or a boatload of great manual lenses. In particular, I'm a big fan of the old Pentax A/M prmes. I'm no pro, but my trusty, beat up, old M50 1.7 has gotten me some of my favorite shots, and it cost me $25.

Good luck!
Thanks Yeah I have a few old prime lenses, I think I'll be looking hard at the K20d, I think the extra 4+ mp might be worth it!

Thanks
Sam

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
The FA 43 Ltd lens could also suit your needs, as far as lenses are concerned. And the K20D would definitely be an improvement over your current set up.
Thanks Yeah I just looked at that lens, might be a really good fit!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
To me the K20D is a resoundingly better value-for-money choice between them all. It has the advanced features and customisability you'd need for a very good price without compromising on image quality.

Unless you really want that faster and better low-light AF performance, I see little practical benefit of the K-7 in your application.

The K-x may leave you wanting in some aspects, like one touch controls and customisability, but its sensor is quite an improvement.
Yeah I don't deal with low light that often at all, like I said I normally shoot at ISO-100 with my strobes. One touch controls are important, the buttons I like to have at my ready are the ISO, Shutter speed, WB, and Aperture!
Thanks
Sam

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think you would be very happy with the K20. The K7 adds video, faster fps and a lot of other things, but in your situation, you are unlikely to see significant difference in the photos between the K7 and the K20. Looks like you can still get a K20 for about 700 dollars, while the K7 is running a little over 1000.

As far as lenses go, auto focus options would be the FA 43 (pricey but sweet), DA*55 (ditto), FA 50 (a little soft wide open) or, either the DA 40/70 lenses. I love the DA 70 for portrait work, but it might be a little long for you. You can still get an FA 50 and if you stop it down a little, it would probably be perfect.
Thanks, yeah I looked I just looked at the FA 43, I like the idea, I assume it's sharp? and yeah the 70 is a little long, plus I have a good 70 lens that I use for head shots, the focal length of the 43 sounds like a really good match! I think it's a proven fact that the 70 would be optimal due to the 1.5x compression ratio. but like I said tighter small areas the 43 could be a great pickup for me!

I think I'm pretty much sold that the K20d is the route I want to go, with the FA 43 then I can use my K200d as my backup!

Thanks All

Sam
11-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SLRPhotography Quote
Thanks, yeah, I know if I go lens, I'll prob be spending a few dollars, I guess that is why I debate the new sensor or really good lens. so on the 50/2.8 it looks as if it goes to f/32? do you know what the aperture range is on the DA*55?
I'm confused - do you want sharp lens, or do you want f/32? When I mention one lens being sharper than another, I'm talking at "normal" apertures - f/4, f/8, etc. At f/32 you might as well be using the cheapest zoom you have; diffraction is going to kill detail to the point where the differences in lenses won't matter so much.
11-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm confused - do you want sharp lens, or do you want f/32? When I mention one lens being sharper than another, I'm talking at "normal" apertures - f/4, f/8, etc. At f/32 you might as well be using the cheapest zoom you have; diffraction is going to kill detail to the point where the differences in lenses won't matter so much.
Normally I shoot between f4-f10 depending on the lighting, but some times I like to expirment and see what different looks I can come up with.

11-18-2009, 05:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

If it comes down to budget, the K20D is exceptional value for the price being sold. You won't regret the purchase. If you need faster FPS and video, go for the K7. Otherwise, it is a no brainer.

Last edited by benjikan; 11-19-2009 at 04:05 PM.
11-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
If it comes down to budget, he K20D is exceptional value for the price being sold. You won't regret the purchase. If you need faster FPS and video, go for the K7. Otherwise, it is a no brainer.
Thanks, Yeah I think I'm going K20d, Video I don't do much and FPS, well I'm working with models and strobes, so between, strobe recharge and the fact that I have to help pose the model, lol. it's sort of a non-issue, hey and congrats on the Elle shoot!

Sam
11-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I just pulled the trigger on a new K20d, a good deal for under $600!

Sam
11-19-2009, 12:40 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Thanks everyone, I just pulled the trigger on a new K20d, a good deal for under $600!

Sam
I got my K20 about 3 months back and love it. All my lenses benefited from it. Just this week, i've discovered the autofocus adjustments you can make for individual lenses (that AF). Its really easy to use and i would think a pro oriented photographer like you would find that useful.

Enjoy!!

11-19-2009, 12:55 AM   #24

Original Poster
Yeah now I think I'm on the hunt for the FA 50mm 1.4, see what deals I can hunt down!
11-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Sam
Do you mind sharing where you got that deal?
11-20-2009, 05:18 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slick100d Quote
Do you mind sharing where you got that deal?
Ebay! I got it from Ritz/wolf cameras on Ebay!
11-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #27

Ebay! I got it from Ritz/wolf cameras on Ebay!
Thanks! I don't see any there now but I'll keep checking.
11-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #28

Original Poster
Just got my K20D, and between the K20 and my old K200, it's night and day difference! I love the separate Aperture and shutter wheels, the image is crisper, the AF a lot faster and more accurate, the tonal and lighting control much better, Just amazing how much better of camera this is! So I will say this the K20d is a must have for studio work! I think I have now found my inner peace!

Thanks all
11-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #29
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to hear of your contentment.
I'm sure you'll find it a capable tool in your work.
With its grip, it looks and feels that much better too.
11-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good to hear of your contentment.
I'm sure you'll find it a capable tool in your work.
With its grip, it looks and feels that much better too.
Yeah the the grip should be in next week, I couldn't be happier!