Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #1

K20D, K7, Kx, or Lens?

Looking for real pro advise, let me start off by saying, yes money is a factor!

I'm a glamour photographer, you can see some of my work at Zenfolio | SLR Photography Sam Rambo

-I shoot with a K200D and have IST ds and K100 as backup.
-I love my hand grip battery pack
-I shoot 200 -300 shot per photo shoot

I love my lens I use for headshots, but space can be an issue for some of the more full body images. Is there a super sharp lens that would work well at 50mm I know it's not optimal, but some times you have to work with what you have.

I shoot Strobes, Low ISO, and I would like the fastest shutter speed that will still sync with my Wireless triggers.

First question: Different between the K20d, K7, and Kx

ISO? 100 or better
Max Trigger Sync Speed? 1/200? 1/160?
Shutter life? cycles?
Any known issues?

So money vs quality what is the best, if you just say K7 for no real reason, but because it is the best, I will reach through my computer and smack you silly. LOL

But I'm looking for real advise, I figure I can compensate for some of my issues on the full body/tight space by either going larger sensor, or better lens.

Give me your feedback please!

Thanks
Sam

Last edited by SLRPhotography; 11-16-2009 at 07:20 PM.
11-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #2

Original Poster
Also let me say this when I talk about issues with full body, I'm talking about things like the details in the iris of the eye, or details in the sharpness of the hair. All in small focal length situations
11-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SLRPhotography Quote
I love my lens I use for headshots, but space can be an issue for some of the more full body images. Is there a super sharp lens that would work well at 50mm
Sure, most of the 50's are extremely sharp. The 50/1.7's are probably the sharpest at very large apertures. The 50/2.8 macros are perhaps the sharpest lenses Pentax has ever made, but they are limited to f/2.8 max aperture. The new DA*55/1.4 is supposed to be great too but isn't cheap.
11-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Sure, most of the 50's are extremely sharp. The 50/1.7's are probably the sharpest at very large apertures. The 50/2.8 macros are perhaps the sharpest lenses Pentax has ever made, but they are limited to f/2.8 max aperture. The new DA*55/1.4 is supposed to be great too but isn't cheap.
Thanks, yeah, I know if I go lens, I'll prob be spending a few dollars, I guess that is why I debate the new sensor or really good lens. so on the 50/2.8 it looks as if it goes to f/32? do you know what the aperture range is on the DA*55?

Thanks
Sam

11-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to take a look at this thread... (and possibly other threads by the author)...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/80183-pentax-news-pent...magazines.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/24545-why-i-lo...mm-f1-4-a.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/79057-my-all-time-favorite-lenses.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1568273

Benjamin Kanarek is a fashion photographer in Paris and uses Pentax - and I believe use to be sponsored by Pentax. In the post above, he indicates that he uses his "old" trusty K20 and lists the lenses he is planning on using for a future/current assignment. That may help to shed some light on his thinking and take on various poses, and might furnish you with some ideas.

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-16-2009 at 10:20 PM.
11-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You might want to take a look at this thread... (and possibly other threads by the author)...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/80183-pentax-news-pent...magazines.html

Benjamin Kanarek is a fashion photographer in Paris and uses Pentax - and I guess use to be sponsored by Pentax. In the post above, he indicates that he uses his "old" trusty K20 and lists the lenses he is planning on using for a future/current assignment. That may help to shed some light on his thinking and take on various poses, and might furnish you with some ideas.
Thanks for the tip!
11-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
So I looked up the DA 55 it looks to have a range of f/1.4-22? and about $700.00 That spendy, but not terrible, I truly understand you are only as good as your lens!

11-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax also has their older SMC 50's in f1.2, 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 in both "A" and "M". They both would be manual focus, but either "A"utomatic or "M"anual aperture.

Pentax Normal Prime Lenses
M 50/1.4

There is also resolution data available (to varying extents).

Measured Resolution Numbers

The older lenses would be much lighter on the checking account....
11-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Pentax also has their older SMC 50's in f1.2, 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 in both "A" and "M". They both would be manual focus, but either "A"utomatic or "M"anual aperture.

Pentax Normal Prime Lenses
M 50/1.4

There is also resolution data available (to varying extents).

Measured Resolution Numbers

The older lenses would be much lighter on the checking account....
Thanks again I have some older manual focus 50MM (from my film days) but as I get older so do my eyes (which sucks), so I'm really trying to stay focused on the auto focus lens (it's the only thing I let the camera do itself), plus when I'm shooting there is always a lot going on, model, makeup artist, music, people, lighting..... so thing can get a little "busy".

I do appreciate the info!
Thanks
Sam
11-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #10

Original Poster
So let me ask this k20d vs K7, or K-x vs K20d is the price worth it? I don't do video, so... and if I did, I would use my canon power shot, point and shoot......
11-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

grip and size

So let me ask this k20d vs K7, or K-x vs K20d is the price worth it? I don't do video, so... and if I did, I would use my canon power shot, point and shoot......
The k-x has no grip option and it's a bit small which offers no advantage in a studio setup.

If you're happy with the af perfomance of your current cameras then the k20 would be my choice. Main advantages of the k7 would be improved af, 100% viewfinder and much improved liveview which can be handy if you're using a tripod.
11-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
The k-x has no grip option and it's a bit small which offers no advantage in a studio setup.

If you're happy with the af perfomance of your current cameras then the k20 would be my choice. Main advantages of the k7 would be improved af, 100% viewfinder and much improved liveview which can be handy if you're using a tripod.
Thanks yeah grip is a big plus in the studio! From what I gather the K20d might be the best route for me, cost vs goodies, Liveview....not so much, improved AF is a plus! but 100% view finder, not so much, most of my work gets cropped anyway

Thanks
Sam
11-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #13

I ran into a similar dilemma recently. I've got a K200d with a plethora of old lenses, and I was debating upgrading to K20d (K7 is too expensive, Kx isn't a great upgrade).

The K200d is a very very nice camera. IMO, the K20d is very similar to the K200d, just with a bigger body with more buttons and dials, as well as a nicer sensor. I didn't think that was worth $600, but if you're game, go for it. I don't think there's any way you'd be disappointed. K200d is great, but the K20d is amazing.

$600 put towards lenses would be my choice. Either one or two very nice modern lenses, or a boatload of great manual lenses. In particular, I'm a big fan of the old Pentax A/M prmes. I'm no pro, but my trusty, beat up, old M50 1.7 has gotten me some of my favorite shots, and it cost me $25.

Good luck!
11-17-2009, 03:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The FA 43 Ltd lens could also suit your needs, as far as lenses are concerned. And the K20D would definitely be an improvement over your current set up.
11-17-2009, 03:24 AM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To me the K20D is a resoundingly better value-for-money choice between them all. It has the advanced features and customisability you'd need for a very good price without compromising on image quality.

Unless you really want that faster and better low-light AF performance, I see little practical benefit of the K-7 in your application.

The K-x may leave you wanting in some aspects, like one touch controls and customisability, but its sensor is quite an improvement.