Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x sudden failure with video mode?

EDIT: The title may sound like a memory card issue, but when I say failure, I'm referring to the batteries.

Since getting my K-x, and using the supplied ultimate lithium, the only issue I've had is when using the video mode.

The battery indicator would be full green, yet switching to video, all of a sudden the camera would be dead. Turning it back on, the battery showed it was empty, but the full again. And other times with video, that doesn't happen. When it first happened, I'm sure I was only around the 100 photo range or less, with maybe a few minutes of video taken.

I did a long walk the other day, brought the K-x along. Took about 225 photos. During the first quarter I took 20 seconds of video. Then later I got down to try a macro video, but to my surprise, the camera was dead again, from full green to dead. I simply turned it back on and avoided video the rest of the day. No issue after, AF was fast, no other shutdowns.

I know there's already issues with AA batteries with the K-x, but it's bothering me that with the top batteries, sudden failures with the video mode can still occur, even early in the battery life. It almost seems random. Or maybe video works when I first turn on the camera, but can often fail if I had used the camera for short period first taking photos, who knows.

Will this problem be horribly worse with rechargeable batteries?

Here's a selection from my walk with the K-x and the kit 50-200mm lens. Just left it on auto. I think I set noise reduction to not occur until 1600 or higher ISO.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timothybh/sets/72157622821292096/detail/

Last edited by TimothyB; 11-17-2009 at 05:44 AM.
11-17-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can only respond based on my own experience of the supplied lithiums. Before I switched to my current eneloops, I got over 900 shots of RAW+ photos and about 15-20 minutes of video out of them with the K-x.

But video (and liveview) is a power hog on the K-x and any DSLR camera. Some strategies for managing this issue whilst using AA's may include:

- simply minimising LV and video use, which you already know about ;
- always start shooting any important session of still or video with new or freshly charged batteries;
- keep a set of AA's aside (eg lithiums) for use in video whilst using another set (eg eneloops) for standard shooting.
11-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Is your SDHC card fast enough for video?
Maybe the K-x is detecting that is isn't?? Just a thought.
11-17-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've been using an older SanDisk Class-2 4GB card that I had on hand to test the K-x. I've done videos as long as 3 minutes with no memory issues.

Often when the camera shuts down it's after I've taken some photos, switch to video, and just as I hit record, it dies. Not like it cuts out after minute of recording, but often by the time I achieve focus, composition and hit record, only to find, hey, it's not, and the power light is off. The first time, I turned it back on right away, the batter showed empty (again, pretty much brand new), but suddenly was full again and I took my video.

The other night I was messing with the HDR function to take photos of my HDTV with paused 1080p video. HDR helps capture the still with all the dynamic range, not making it look contrast like a standard photo.

So I did a total of 70 HDR photos. This must have given the camera a work out, 3 shots for each, plus extra processing. At the end, for the heck of it, I did some video just to test. I did 3 clips, one up to 3 minutes and 10 seconds.

Why didn't it die there after heavy use? So it bugs me how random it is, just losing power here and there, even when the fresh batteries, but then no problems another day.

Also, I take it the increase power drain of live view makes the AF very slow?

11-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I can only respond based on my own experience of the supplied lithiums. Before I switched to my current eneloops, I got over 900 shots of RAW+ photos and about 15-20 minutes of video out of them with the K-x.

But video (and liveview) is a power hog on the K-x and any DSLR camera. Some strategies for managing this issue whilst using AA's may include:

- simply minimising LV and video use, which you already know about ;
- always start shooting any important session of still or video with new or freshly charged batteries;
- keep a set of AA's aside (eg lithiums) for use in video whilst using another set (eg eneloops) for standard shooting.
Well, I hope when I get say eneloops, or hear more reports about powergenix, that I'll get similar life my point and shoot Canon SD1100 IS. On a recent trip, I really tested that camera's battery, like one day, 180 photos plus 31 minutes of video. But I had no way to easily replace the battery on such a trip. So it's nice that I can take some lithiums with me with the K-x if some rechargeables don't last the whole day.
11-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #6

Video problems too

Hi,

I can not record more than 30 seconds of video at 720p (default settings all the way turned up) I have tried several different SDHC cards including both Category 4 and 6 cards.

Does anyone else experience this problem? It records just fine if i set to 4x3 drop down which I believe is 640. This has been very frustrating for me and I even contacted Pentax, which sadly their support is pathetic. But I love the K-X camera and hope anyone can provide suggestions, specifically if yours works just fine recording at 720p, what exact SDHC card/model are you using and I will pick one up. I really think this is something more and a bug though..please help!
11-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jackmaddy Quote
...But I love the K-X camera and hope anyone can provide suggestions, specifically if yours works just fine recording at 720p, what exact SDHC card/model are you using and I will pick one up. I really think this is something more and a bug though..please help!
Cards I've successfully used to record 720 highest res video with full audio are an 8GB Sandisk Ultra 15MB/s SDHC Class 4 card, as well as an ordinary Sandisk SDHC Class 2 SDHC, surprisingly enough. But I'd go for the Ultra, Ultra II or any of the Sandisk's that promise at least 15MB/s for video.

Have successfully recorded video using the Energizer Lithiums and eneloops too, FWIW.
11-18-2009, 03:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Check battery type selected in setup menu of your K-x.
This may help.

11-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good though. The battery type has been on auto from the start. And I had never switched to another type of battery, just had the supplied ones in the camera when the issues occurred.

I did try some cheapo radioshack NiMH batteries after all this. They were charged (the 4 batteries are less than a year old and used on one device). I put them in with the camera still on auto, but I waited a few minutes before powering on. They showed half power right away. After messing with a few things, I then manually selected NiMH, restarted the camera, and then it went to zero battery. Anyway, after going back to auto battery, those didn't last more than 5 minutes before I had to use the lithium again.
11-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Cards I've successfully used to record 720 highest res video with full audio are an 8GB Sandisk Ultra 15MB/s SDHC Class 4 card, as well as an ordinary Sandisk SDHC Class 2 SDHC, surprisingly enough. But I'd go for the Ultra, Ultra II or any of the Sandisk's that promise at least 15MB/s for video.

Have successfully recorded video using the Energizer Lithiums and eneloops too, FWIW.
Thank you for the response. Curious have you experienced the problem I have experienced with different SD cards? I really am surprised I have these issues on several different class 6 cards, which I believe is meant to be better/faster than class 4.
11-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jackmaddy Quote
Thank you for the response. Curious have you experienced the problem I have experienced with different SD cards? I really am surprised I have these issues on several different class 6 cards, which I believe is meant to be better/faster than class 4.
In my experience across several digital cameras, point and shoots included, it seems clear that: not all SDHC cards are the same quality; not all SDHC cards seem to implement 'standards' (Class 2, Class 4'' etc) the same way; some brands are better than others; and that some cards that may work reliably in one model of camera (eg a PhotoFast Class 6 SDHC that works OK in my K-x) may not work at all in my other camera (my K200D).

So it's a minefield out there in terms of SD card standards, quality and compatibility. I tend to stick with the brands and cards I know or the ones recommended by the camera manufacturer. Like the Sandisks.

Last edited by rawr; 11-18-2009 at 06:49 PM.
11-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
sd cards are rated by classes 2,4,6 but those are min. rated speeds. So a class 2 could easily outperform a class 4, or class 4 > class 6.

I have had good results from Ridata, Toshiba (Some pny branded cards use toshiba chips), Transcend and of course the sandisk Ultra and Extreme series.

I would stay away from kingston as they fail to work in some devices.
11-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #13

Same problem with lithium,ok with reg batteries

I have the same problem with the supplied lithium batteries. Just for the heck of it I tried a set of cheap non-rechargeable Rayovac alkaline 1.5v batteries. They worked perfectly. After 100s of shots and two 6min videos I switched back to the lithiums. The Rayovacs read 1.42v and were not working well on the video although they still worked well on pictures. I took out the card and saw that I had taken almost exactly 3GB of data. It was a 4 GB class 10 card (20MB/sec)

The nice thing was that I now know that I can operate the camera for long periods of time on cheap alkalines. But I am worried about the lithiums usefulness.