Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
no need for crosposting, but i have the grip, and it is perfect

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/82642-pentax-k7-3r...tml#post939429

03-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Personally I will still get the original pentax grip but just for discussion sake, why is using a third party grip be any worse than using third party LI-90 batteries for the K-7?
I wouldn't say it is any worse, in fact the converse. Not a chance on your life I'd put a third-party battery in my camera, because if the worst happens and it leaks / explodes / catches fire damaging the camera, there's no chance of a warranty repair. With the grip, at least there's a chance people might still get away with warranty repairs because there's no sign of the cause.

That said, I wouldn't buy a third party version of the grip either, because it is still an electronic part interfacing with the expensive camera's own delicate electronics, and all it would take to potentially damage it is a bit of noise from a bad electrical contact. I don't see the point in risking a $1,200 camera body to save $140.
03-03-2010, 02:43 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
That said, I wouldn't buy a third party version of the grip either, because it is still an electronic part interfacing with the expensive camera's own delicate electronics, and all it would take to potentially damage it is a bit of noise from a bad electrical contact. I don't see the point in risking a $1,200 camera body to save $140.
As said in the other topic, the grip ISN'T an electronic part, it is a mechanical part, nothing more than a simpel plastic box with switches and a bit wiring. There is no way that a 3rd-party grip can blow you're camera.

But maybe we better stop the discussion in this topic and continue in the other (bigger) topic.
Two of the same topics is a bit overkill (or maybe a mod could merge the two topics)

Link to the other topic:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/82642-pentax-k7-3r...tml#post939429

Last edited by Sakura; 03-03-2010 at 02:55 AM.
03-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
As said in the other topic, the grip ISN'T an electronic part, it is a mechanical part, nothing more than a simpel plastic box with switches and a bit wiring. There is no way that a 3rd-party grip can blow you're camera.
It contains what could potentially be the camera's sole power source, and if there's a loose connection somewhere in it because it was cheaply made, it's very possible it could be giving that power could be a dirty, spiky mess rather than a nice clean output. You might not think that can damage your camera, but I've seen enough sensitive electronics damaged by things like this to know otherwise.

10-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I think you have about the same liklihood of the clone battery grip harming you K7 as an amtrack train accidentally running through you r living room tonite...

It's a clone,,do you think the batteries are going to explode on you and defy gravity and drip acid upwards??

Is that acid going to liquify and come pouring out of the same sealed body as the Pentax model?? after all they are identical..

I'm spitting my coffee all over my screen laughing at how some of you worry about stuff...

ya may wanna relax and live a bit.....jesus ....do you actually have any fun in life???

I don't drink and socialize with such downers!!!
10-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it's not bad. it's just cheap battery grip, if you want more accurate quality, you should go pentax one and should pay 150$ more. if you can afford that, go with pentax, not, go with 3rd party.
10-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cabron Quote
I think you have about the same liklihood of the clone battery grip harming you K7 as an amtrack train accidentally running through you r living room tonite...

It's a clone,,do you think the batteries are going to explode on you and defy gravity and drip acid upwards??
If you think that leaking batteries is the only way it's possible for an accessory to damage a camera, you're mistaken. You might not believe it is possible, I know otherwise. Is it hugely likely? Probably not, depending on which knockoff grip you choose. Is it possible? Absolutely yes.

QuoteQuote:
Is that acid going to liquify and come pouring out of the same sealed body as the Pentax model?? after all they are identical..
NONE of the third party grips is weather sealed. As you'll likely discover if you try to use them in pouring rain. That goes even for the one that looks externally identical to the original Pentax grip, as confirmed by somebody in these forums who dismantled it and confirmed it lacked any seals.

10-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
I just got a 3rd party battery grip from DSLRbaby on ebay for my K7

its cheap yet effective,
though you can really feel that the build is made of plastic, but when I tried to check what is inside there is aluminum plate on the top and the bottom to support the whole grip,

minor issue
buttons are working okay my only issue is that the on/off latch on the shutter button feels a bit loose.

weather sealing

manual says that it is weather sealed,.. hmmm I'll pass on that hehe.

QUICK QUESTION:
if I leave the battery grip to "on" the whole time even when the camera is off, do the batteries get eat up quickly?
10-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
It contains what could potentially be the camera's sole power source, and if there's a loose connection somewhere in it because it was cheaply made, it's very possible it could be giving that power could be a dirty, spiky mess rather than a nice clean output. You might not think that can damage your camera, but I've seen enough sensitive electronics damaged by things like this to know otherwise.
I don't know, soldered connections don't typically unsolder themselves. Also, we're dealing with a device that is designed to work with batteries. There's no inverters, rectifiers, transformers, or anything else that's meant to modify the current in these grips. It's impossible for a grip like this to deliver a "spike" of voltage, what would happen is simply that the power would cut out and cut back on. Also, crappy connections don't make electricity "dirty," they only induce resistance and no matter how bad the wiring the amount of loss in such a small circuit is irrelevant.

The worst thing that could happen is if somehow the pins for voltage got crossed with the pins for a button. The only thing, though, is electricity won't flow unless there's continuity so unless both the positive AND the negative battery leads got connected to two pins that happened to complete a circuit within the camera, nothing is going to happen. The only plausible cause of failure would be water intrusion.

I couldn't progress further with the disassembly since there was a screw that wouldn't back out. The plastic on the internals is pretty fragile, but the exterior shell is strong enough. There's really not much to the grip, and it certainly isn't weather sealed.

The grip itself is pretty solid and the textured rubber feels pretty nice. The texture on the plastic looks similar to the official model though, not having handled a Pentax grip, I can't say if it's the OEM is nicer. Probably the biggest flaw with the grip is that the K-7's e-dials/buttons feel like silky magic so the 3rd party grip just feels like mushy garbage in comparison.

For fifty dollars the grip accomplishes the only thing I need it for: working with my flash bracket. The offset tripod mount on the grip puts the bracket exactly where I need it, and since it's just a cheap grip I can torque the hell out of the mounting screw without worrying about damaging my camera. The loss of water sealing isn't really an issue when I have a TTL cable and flash dangling off my camera.
10-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the 50 dollar 3rd party grip, and I will say that I really like it. I can understand why people would be leery of a grip that is 150 dollars less than the factory part, but in the case of this grip I am quite happy.

Only problem is the trigger on the grip is "cranky" and requires a specific "rocking" press of the button to get it to reliably fire. Just pressing down sometimes didn't work. But when I figured out this "special" way of triggering the shutter, it has fired every time. Otherwise, the fit and finish seems to be very good.

I read all the warnings and concerns and leaking batteries and stuff on his thread ... and I can't validate these concerns. I'll save the 150 dollars and put it towards a new piece of glass.

regards,

germar
10-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by kirivon Quote
k-7's e-dials/buttons feel like silky magic so the 3rd party grip just feels like mushy garbage in comparison.
+100000

but it does its job well enough for a $50 battery grip
10-22-2010, 01:42 AM   #27
Forum Member

I have tried the third party and the real pentax grip. I can't really tell the difference. I had the oem grip for a day but I returned it after I found a litter problem with it. Then I bought the pentax grip, it reminded me of the oem grip.
The dials and buttons on the camera feels better than on the grip's.
10-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon;1232665[B:
QUICK QUESTION:[/B]
if I leave the battery grip to "on" the whole time even when the camera is off, do the batteries get eat up quickly?
No, the batteries will not drain. The camera's on/off switch is the master on/off switch.
10-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I had a choice between buying a used body, in the Market Place, with an with an OEM grip vs. a knock-off, all other things being equal in the condition of the bodies, I'd by the one that came with the OEM grip. Just saying...
10-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
If I had a choice between buying a used body, in the Market Place, with an with an OEM grip vs. a knock-off, all other things being equal in the condition of the bodies, I'd by the one that came with the OEM grip. Just saying...
I have the third-party D-BG4, and if all things were equal, including the price, then yes, I'd do the same thing, but chances are, the body with the OEM grip will cost more than the one with the third-party grip, which is the main issue. Not everybody lives in the US, and the pricing for items in other countries are different, which is why some people turn towards third-party alternatives that provide most of that the OEM grip does, but at a fraction of the cost.

Here's a few numbers for people to mull over. For someone in the US,
Deals Extreme Battery grip: US$54.77 inc free shipping
Pentax D-BG4 from B&H: US$182.56 inc free shipping (USA only). So you're paying a bit over 3 times as much for the OEM grip.

For someone in Australia:
Deals Extreme Battery grip: A$56 inc free shipping
Pentax D-BG4 from B&H: A$244 (US$182.56 + US$58 International Express Mail Shipping + international transaction fee). And it's only A$244 because the AUD has strengthened against the USD in recent months; go back to the start of the year when I got my third-party grip, and you'd be looking at ~A$300+
Pentax D-BG4 sourced locally: FROM A$360 and up, a lot of stores seem to be selling for ~A$430
So someone here would be paying anywhere from 4 times to 7 times as much for the OEM grip, compared to the third-party grip.

If prices for OEM and third-party D-BG4 battery grips stay the same by the time I get a second K-7, or a K-5, I know I'd be choosing another third-party grip. Just sayin...