Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #31

Photos: Albums
yeah and the original D-BG4 here is around 220++ USD

10-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
If prices for OEM and third-party D-BG4 battery grips stay the same by the time I get a second K-7, or a K-5, I know I'd be choosing another third-party grip. Just sayin...
Just don't be upset when Pentax stops making their own grips, because the sales volumes aren't there any more to cover development and production costs with everybody buying cheap knockoffs. That, and body costs go up to cover the loss of profits on selling accessories -- if they can't make money out of you after you buy the camera itself, they have to make that money *when* you buy it, instead.

Also, remember that if Pentax wasn't making their own grip, this most popular of knockoffs (whose design is clearly a direct copy of Pentax's work, except for the removal of weather sealing, and possible differences in material grades, shortcuts taken to the internals, etc.) couldn't exist.

With nothing official to copy, the third-party knockoffs would have to actually do their own design -- and as we've seen with the ones that currently do partly or completely design their own products, those designs can be pretty shoddy.

Like you, I'm just sayin... ;-)