Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
after much agonizing...

and way to much information overload, I finally decided on the K-x and placed my order on Newegg! I really wanted a Navy Blue model but I just couldn't hold out any longer..

I went with the body only and also ordered a Sigma 17-70mm lens on Amazon.. Browsing ebay I snagged a Takumar Super 55mm F/1.8 screw mount M42 cheap as well..

Now to learn how to use it all... Total noob here but I can't wait to take some nice walks around town and experiment..

What are some good sources on the web to learn the in and outs (mostly the technical aspects) of photography?

11-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DebLewis Quote
I went with the body only and also ordered a Sigma 17-70mm lens on Amazon.. Browsing ebay I snagged a Takumar Super 55mm F/1.8 screw mount M42 cheap as well..

Now to learn how to use it all... Total noob here but I can't wait to take some nice walks around town and experiment..

What are some good sources on the web to learn the in and outs (mostly the technical aspects) of photography?
Welcome, I'm sure you'll enjoy your camera.

That 55 is a nice lens but do you know that you'll need an adapter for a screw mount lens?
11-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
navy and red models are supposed to have just started shipping this week, according to the Pentax rep.

However body only, would probably take a bit longer. The navy model comes with a black lens, so it could be sold more easily. You're getting two great lenses, but as noted, you'll need an adapter for one (and its fully manual).

For learning exposure, I just googled exposure and some random terms like tutorial, understanding, lesson

Last edited by Eruditass; 11-17-2009 at 10:36 AM.
11-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Regarding (manual) flash photography

Strobist

and (also other non flash info here)

http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/further-pages/

Last edited by tomtor; 11-17-2009 at 10:36 AM.
11-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #5

Make sure you buy a genuine Pentax adapter for the M42 lens. Some of the 3rd party ones have trouble focussing to infinity and I've heard tales of them getting stuck on cameras. The official one will have neither of these problems.

I have the later K mount version of that lens, it's a handy one to have on digital as it becomes a fast short telephoto. Took this with mine today:

The faded sign is on the side of a former hotel dating back to the 1900s, which is now a college. It probably hasn't been painted for over fifty years, but it's easy to make out the words.