Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

What is a brand new *istD worth?

My local pro shop has an *ist D sitting in the case. Brand new, not refurbished. It, and a DA 18-55 that is mounted to it make up about 75% of their visible Pentax inventory. The owner or manager of the store told me that they are closing out their remaining Pentax gear, as they have not seen a rep in some time. He specifically told me that they could probably cut me a nice deal on the camera.

I am in the market for my first DLSR. I am open to any of Pentax's cheaper cameras, but specifically I have been eyeing K2000's since I don't think that I am the type to really take advantage of an advanced DSLR feature set, and because I am an undergraduate student on a budget

My question is: What is the above *ist worth? I would like to have a camera with a higher MP rating, but for the right price I would also be very interested in the *ist D they have. I'm not sure if they are trying to sell the zoom with the body, but what would the body be worth alone? He gave me a list price as $7xx. I think that I would have to talk them down a lot, at least in half for me to pick it up. Is this possible or advisable?

Thanks,
Jordan

11-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
$7xx?? That's quite high in my opinion. The *ist D was last produced in 2006 (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K10D check the bottom chart). I'm wondering how he still have so many *brand new* *ist D.

For $7xx, I would just get the Pentax K-x, which you could easily get for about $600 brand new.

If you could get it down to about $350, then I think it's not a bad deal at all, assuming that it's new and comes with the kit lens.
11-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Relatively speaking

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasquatch Quote
My local pro shop has an *ist D sitting in the case. Brand new, not refurbished. It, and a DA 18-55 that is mounted to it make up about 75% of their visible Pentax inventory. The owner or manager of the store told me that they are closing out their remaining Pentax gear, as they have not seen a rep in some time. He specifically told me that they could probably cut me a nice deal on the camera.

I am in the market for my first DLSR. I am open to any of Pentax's cheaper cameras, but specifically I have been eyeing K2000's since I don't think that I am the type to really take advantage of an advanced DSLR feature set, and because I am an undergraduate student on a budget

My question is: What is the above *ist worth? I would like to have a camera with a higher MP rating, but for the right price I would also be very interested in the *ist D they have. I'm not sure if they are trying to sell the zoom with the body, but what would the body be worth alone? He gave me a list price as $7xx. I think that I would have to talk them down a lot, at least in half for me to pick it up. Is this possible or advisable?

Thanks,
Jordan
It's not worth much. Most likely they paid $700ish for it.
Now the D is a nice camera but kx is $649 w/ lens/ $599 without... so that really throws the value down. The DA18-55 (older version) would probably be worth $50....
You'd insult him/her but the best offer would be $300 for body only(yes I know it's new but how much longer will parts be avalable.) $350-400 w/ lens.
That's my 2 cents worth.
$189 to $235 is a pretty good used value and probably slow moving at best.
http://www.keh.com/Class-Products/1/DP/2/79277/WG.aspx
11-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

*ist D is around 250 USD used as jeff said, I agree with his price estimate as well, but I think you shouldn't pay 400 with lens. The 18-55 ver1 is 'outdated' and shouldn't be sold for more than 60 USD new imo...

*istD is an awesome Takumar + auto Flash machine if you're into that

11-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Unless you have to have a *ist, I recommend you just skip it.

A used K10D or a used K2000 with kit lens in good condition is about $350; $300 if you're patient and lucky.

Note that the *ist does not have shake reduction, nor provision to use HSM lenses.
11-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If that guy isn't blowing it out for cheap, as per above post, go online, I got a Km waaaay cheaper than 700!
11-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick input. You're all confirming my thoughts. I don't hold any special sentimentality for the D, in fact I'm naturally a lot more attracted to a K2000 or KX. However, if like you said, I could get the body for $300, that might be cool as well. I hadn't thought about parts availability, though... I'll haggle with them regardless, as I'm now curious to know how low they'd go.

@Trung Tran. Sorry if my post was a bit confusing. They only have the 1 *istD, the DA lens, and a couple other accessories. I was making a joke about how small their Pentax inventory is...

Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-17-2009 at 04:09 PM.
11-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

From my perspective a brand new (really brand new) with less than 100 shutter activations would be a fair purchase at $400.

I'll tell yoou why.

Although by today's standards it is old technology, the *istD has a lot of advantages over the DL, and the KX00 series cameras.

It has a penta prism not a mirror, and it has the best most accurate metering for legacy lenses (M42 and K mount).

It also has excellent high ISO capabilities, and most important it supports TTL flash.

This means you can do TTL flash with legacy lenses, because P-TTL needs to know the apature where as TTL does not,

If you are at all into legacy lenses and flash photography, the *istD is about the best option going.

It is a great little performer, although a tad slow by today's standards.

11-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I reread your post after your comment and I see what you meant. I totally missed it. English me no good much!!! :P
11-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
@Lowel - those are some interesting points. I am a fan of legacy lenses although I don't have any that are worth much at the moment.

Hopefully you guys can help me out with one more thing:

How exactly do you pronounce *ist?
11-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

by the way, don't be too put off by 'just' 6MP. You can easily print up to A3 with that.
11-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sasquatch Quote
Thanks for the quick input. You're all confirming my thoughts. I don't hold any special sentimentality for the D, in fact I'm naturally a lot more attracted to a K2000 or KX. However, if like you said, I could get the body for $300, that might be cool as well. I hadn't thought about parts availability, though... I'll haggle with them regardless, as I'm now curious to know how low they'd go.

@Trung Tran. Sorry if my post was a bit confusing. They only have the 1 *istD, the DA lens, and a couple other accessories. I was making a joke about how small their Pentax inventory is...
WOW.... I knew a store owner in Ft Laurderdale that try to sell to vacationers at full list. Sounds like his son btw, he went out business with in a few years.

I live in Camby (near the Indy Airport)... What store was this...Wait.... "CORD" camera or "ROBERTS" camera.

What to start a photo meet-up club in the Indy Area....PM me if you think it's a fun idea.
11-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Sasquatch

I've had one for 6 years now and I still don't know how to pronounce it.

kevinschoenmakers

while I'm sure you could print this in 13 x 19 format, it would be a little big

The proof of legacy glass, and 6 MP. How about an SMC 300 F4 and 1.7x AF TC with TTL flash courtesy of the AF500FTZ from my PZ-1

11-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
@arbib - The camera is at Robert's. Good call. I only know of a couple Cords, and at least one of them has closed its doors. A local Pentax club would be fun, but in all honesty, I have a very hard time committing to extra curricular events The opportunity to play with different equipment could perhaps lure me though...

@Lowell - In that case I'll just pick a pronunciation and stick with it. Highly doubt the salesman will be able to correct me.
11-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
by the way, don't be too put off by 'just' 6MP. You can easily print up to A3 with that.
I have numerous 16x20 landscapes in my office taken with the ist-D. As previously mentioned, at "only" 6MP, its FANTASTIC!

It is slow compared to my K20d, but I just love the layout.....its so easy to change everything.

and as mentioned, TTL flash.....