Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSsuper Quote
This link shows the test lab comparison very visually. Looks about 1 stop or so advantage to K-x. Author concludes K-7 still better at lower iso for detail...
http://falklumo.smugmug.com/Photography/Technology/Lumolab-Pentax-K-7-vs-K-x...42_tRkk5-O.jpg
The chart isn't very helpful at all imo. and I don't see anything beyond that of a curve between the two images.

Having said that, having taken some RW samples(DNG) from IR on both the Kx and K7 shows that even at ISO 1600, the Kx takes a significant lead in IQ above that of its bigger brother.

Couple this with the possibility of added DR and the Kx leaves the K7 is a rather controversial position.

11-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
the question was in lower iso - like 100-200 (not 1600). but I only can see resolution advantage of k7 as it has 14Mp vs 12Mp by kX
11-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
The chart isn't very helpful at all imo.
I found it very helpful and extremely interesting.
11-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by artemapei Quote
sure, cause of more megapixels
No...........

11-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by artemapei Quote
sure, cause of more megapixels
The difference in megapixels between the K-X and K-7 is not significant enough to be visible at anything less than 100% crops.
There is something at else work here.
It looks to me that the
K-X has better IQ at ISO 1600 and above
K-7 has better IQ below ISO 1600.
11-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The difference in megapixels between the K-X and K-7 is not significant enough to be visible at anything less than 100% crops.
There is something at else work here.
It looks to me that the
K-X has better IQ at ISO 1600 and above
K-7 has better IQ below ISO 1600.
It's not that simple, really.

The difference in detail captured probably is due to the difference in pixel count, since both are pretty sharp at the pixel level. The K-7 simply has more of those pixels to capture detail with.

As far as overall image quality, these are my impressions (my K-7 commentary is based on my experience with the K20D, now recognized to be a little better noise-wise than the K-7, so it should be pretty accurate).

There's no question that the K-x delivers at 1600 and above in a way that the K-7 just doesn't, but below that level it's a bit of a mixed bag. The K-7 captures (slightly) more detail and, to my eyes, has a more "organic" feel to its images. Some also prefer the color rendition (I see little difference). However, the K-7 sees noise (including and unfortunate amount of chroma noise) at ISOs as low as 800 and even 400, especially if the image is even a little bit underexposed. It's a splotchy grain that just gives the images a "muddy" feel. The K-x by contrast captures slightly less detail and has a more "digital" look to it (again, to my eyes) but there's practically no noticeable noise at 400 and 800. On ISO 200 and 400 images I can raise the shadows to a drastic degree without any objectionable noise appearing (not so easy with the K-7).

It's a toss-up, really. If I can work out how to give my K-x images the same look and feel as my K20D images, I'm sure it'll be my favorite photographic device ever.
11-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
is it true, however, as rumors say, that k-x isn't so good at lower iso-s?
I brought both images in CS4 and made some minor adjustments(curves and sharpening) and both images were virtually identical at ISO200.

Also(just for fun), I resized the Kx image up to the same resolution than the K7 and found it to "very" hard to distinguish the two. In fact... if someone didn't know better, they'd think that both images were identical.

However, I did notice that the Kx had more moire than the K7 that I'm guessing comes down to the AA filter.

I find the Kx to be a phenomenal camera in the IQ dept.
And the added noise performance will work wonders in DR control as it should allow for deeper shadow recovery from RAW than is typically found in Pentax sensors.
It's going to be a very exciting camera to work with.