Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
Forum Member
artemapei's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow-Guangzhou
Posts: 71
K-x vs K7 at iso 3200

K-x has, obviously, a newer CMOP and has max iso level as high as 6400, while k7 - 3200.
Thus K-x must be having lower noise level at high ISO. Is it realy one stop difference and K-x performs at 6400 as k7 at 3200 and has much less noise at ISO 3200?

11-18-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
The logic of your question is wrong I think?

But yes, Kx does has better noise control over K7, probably by more than 1 stop.
11-18-2009, 02:23 AM   #3
jup
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 98
K-x has been recently added to Imaging Resource, so see for yourself. Comparing K-7 at 3200 vs K-x at 6400 really seem to show quite similar level of noise, but keep in mind that K-x does probably more NR by default. Still, it's one heck of a camera.

That said, it doesn't mean that K-7 is flawed in any way. High ISO noise is just one of a paramters - but K-x clearly beats more or less any APS-C DSLR currently on the market in this one.

Now, I am off to do some more night shots with my K-x.
11-18-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,308
QuoteOriginally posted by artemapei Quote
K-x has, obviously, a newer CMOP and has max iso level as high as 6400, while k7 - 3200.
Thus K-x must be having lower noise level at high ISO. Is it realy one stop difference and K-x performs at 6400 as k7 at 3200 and has much less noise at ISO 3200?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/80452-k-x-comparometer.html

a lot of comparison from RAW to jpeg with crops - K-x and D300s.

Тесты K-x и K-7 - огл - Участники - Фотогалерея iXBT
here is some photos from ISO100 and 1600.

All are from RAW to JPEG.

NR OFF.

11-18-2009, 03:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by artemapei Quote
K-x has, obviously, a newer CMOP and has max iso level as high as 6400, while k7 - 3200.
Thus K-x must be having lower noise level at high ISO. Is it realy one stop difference and K-x performs at 6400 as k7 at 3200 and has much less noise at ISO 3200?
They're both CMOS sensors, and the age difference is very slight - both are realistically from the same generation, just different suppliers.

The difference comes down to the K-x having slightly lower resolution and a slightly larger sensor (ie. larger pixels which can collect more light than the K-7), along with higher noise processing, and what looks to be slightly better noise performance from the sensor design as well. Together, they allow the K-x a bit of an advantage in noise, although it lags in other areas.
11-18-2009, 04:20 AM   #6
Forum Member
artemapei's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow-Guangzhou
Posts: 71
Original Poster
hm, it seems like we're having quite different opinions on the matter...

as far as I can see from imaging-resource.com k-X is defently better at 3200 (keeps more details) than k7, and almost as good as k7's 3200 at 6400. so i would say it seems to be like 2/3 stop better at hi ISO - which I consider to be quite a remarcable difference for the same generation of CMOPs.
ps. k7 pics look much more saturated and contrasted.

QuoteQuote:
but K-x clearly beats more or less any APS-C DSLR currently on the market in this one.
Sony a500 and new canon d7 seems to be of a very hi estimation among their users, i dobt that they'll loose to k-X at high ISO noise level - but it's out of topic here.
11-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Forum Member
artemapei's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow-Guangzhou
Posts: 71
Original Poster
I've wrote a post, but it's disappeared @to be checked and approved by the moderator@ - sorry, I'm newcomer here.
the summary:
comparing the tests I found that kX performs like 2/3 stop better than k7 at hi iso (3200-6400).
still waiting for the full post to come out
11-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
is it true, however, as rumors say, that k-x isn't so good at lower iso-s?

11-18-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Forum Member
artemapei's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow-Guangzhou
Posts: 71
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
is it true, however, as rumors say, that k-x isn't so good at lower iso-s?
i do not think anter could be any serious problem with lower ISO in new cameras - may be just the colors - is seems to be less saturated and less contrasted than the sample picture by k7
11-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
QuoteOriginally posted by artemapei Quote
i do not think anter could be any serious problem with lower ISO in new cameras - may be just the colors - is seems to be less saturated and less contrasted than the sample picture by k7
THIS and some similar discussions on dpreview forum motivated my question...
11-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #11
Forum Member
artemapei's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow-Guangzhou
Posts: 71
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
THIS and some similar discussions on dpreview forum motivated my question...
replied there
11-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian
er1kksen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Forestville, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,690
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
is it true, however, as rumors say, that k-x isn't so good at lower iso-s?
Having used a variety of cameras, I'd say the K-x is my favorite so far at low ISOs. The high ISOs are fun, but I still shoot ISO 200 almost all the time and I love the fact that I can raise the shadows to a ridiculous degree without seeing noise.

That comparison thread seems a little sketchy to me and definitely doesn't reflect what I've been experiencing with the camera myself.

QuoteOriginally posted by artemapei Quote

Sony a500 and new canon d7 seems to be of a very hi estimation among their users, i dobt that they'll loose to k-X at high ISO noise level - but it's out of topic here.
The Sony A500 uses the same sensor, actually, so RAW noise should be very similar. The Canon 7D seems to have similar levels of total-image noise, but its higher resolution means finer "grain" and less obtrusive noise in prints.
11-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Having used a variety of cameras, I'd say the K-x is my favorite so far at low ISOs. The high ISOs are fun, but I still shoot ISO 200 almost all the time and I love the fact that I can raise the shadows to a ridiculous degree without seeing noise.

That comparison thread seems a little sketchy to me and definitely doesn't reflect what I've been experiencing with the camera myself.
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. (I was thinking of ISO 200 as being low ISO...)
11-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 48
This link shows the test lab comparison very visually. Looks about 1 stop or so advantage to K-x. Author concludes K-7 still better at lower iso for detail...
http://falklumo.smugmug.com/Photography/Technology/Lumolab-Pentax-K-7-vs-K-x...42_tRkk5-O.jpg
11-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #15
Forum Member
artemapei's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moscow-Guangzhou
Posts: 71
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSsuper Quote
This link shows the test lab comparison very visually. Looks about 1 stop or so advantage to K-x. Author concludes K-7 still better at lower iso for detail...
http://falklumo.smugmug.com/Photography/Technology/Lumolab-Pentax-K-7-vs-K-x...42_tRkk5-O.jpg
sure, cause of more megapixels
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, iso, k-x, k-x vs k7, k7, k7 at iso, level, noise, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black & White This is what ISO 3200 used to look like! brkl Post Your Photos! 5 01-10-2010 03:35 PM
iso 3200 jolee1990 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 12-22-2009 08:26 AM
K 7 iso 3200 snooked Pentax DSLR Discussion 38 07-21-2009 02:53 PM
ISO 3200! Only PP in lightroom metroeloise Post Your Photos! 3 12-12-2008 07:25 PM
Tests iso 200 to iso 3200 with k100d Deni Post Your Photos! 0 06-20-2007 05:17 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top