Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #1

K10D AF Adjustment?

I'm beginning to suspect that my K10D is having slight AF issues.
I've had it more or less since they launched the K10D and I've since invested in some higher quality lenses etc.,
I've been finding it increasingly hard to nail the focus using any of my FA Ltd AF lenses, frustratingly so...and I've been looking at the images at 100% and it looks to me as though the camera is focussing slightly "behind" the point that I want it to....not by much but as I usually shoot at a large aperture for narrower DOF it is quite noticeable.
Is there any way of adjusting this? I've looked throught the settings but can find nothing...
Maybe now is the time to upgrade to the K7 after all....
Thanks,
Mark

11-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Use this at your own peril.
K10D Focus Error Adjustment |Photography Rulez

Also, some clever Korean guy with too much time on his hands figured out the button sequence to get into the K10 debug mode.
Of course he published it to the net so Pentax removed the possibility with a firmware update.
So it goes.
But if you are on the original firmware, you might be able to dig around with google and find reference to it.
11-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Use this at your own peril.
K10D Focus Error Adjustment |Photography Rulez

Also, some clever Korean guy with too much time on his hands figured out the button sequence to get into the K10 debug mode.
Of course he published it to the net so Pentax removed the possibility with a firmware update.
So it goes.
But if you are on the original firmware, you might be able to dig around with google and find reference to it.
Hmmm.....I'm on the latest firmware...
11-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #4

Here's a direct link to the PF thread about K10D debug mode, including s/w download link and link/instructions for entering/exiting debug mode using a simple text file.

FWIW, I've downloaded, scanned for malware, installed, scanned for malware again, used the software, and scanned for malware once more and everything worked just fine -- no problems, no malware, and fixed a slight BF issue I had. (That said, I don't know if the current download is the same as the one I grabbed, so best to take appropriate precautions or use the text file method.)

I also had better results with this focusing test method than the common angled charts. YMMV.

11-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the link to that thread. I shall give it a go tonight....
12-01-2009, 02:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help with this...succesfully adjusted the AF by +80. Went out over the weekend and it's like having a different camera, much sharper images.
Thanks again everyone...