Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA Lenese, Full Frame, Question

Hey guys,

I was playing around with my new (to me) film camera (PZ1) and i was curious to check how much vignetting there was while using the DA lenses...

Surprisingly, it was very minimal, and if i recall correctly, i had something like this:

* 10-17 fisheye: considerably at 10mm but very mininum around corners at 17mm
* 16-45mm: very small amount at 16mm
* 50-135mm: small amount at 50mm and almost nothing at 135mm
* DA 40 LTD: very small amount
* 18-55 WR: i don't remember.

After checking this out, I was thinking about the following: how easy (and feasible) would be to have a Pentax FF body that when loaded with a APS lens (DA's) could simply automatically crop the sensor to match the exactly coverage of the lens?

It would not be ideal in terms of paying for a FF and occasionally utilizing portions of it , but it seems like a paradise to most owners, since Pentax users are very inclined to have a vast collection of lenses, from K series thru DA.

Has this been discussed before?

I just thought it was interesting... and no.. i am not trying to start a FF x APS thread!

11-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Some Nikon FX bodies has this capability (auto crop when a DX lens is mounted). But I don't think there's much interest among Nikonians.
11-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Some Nikon FX bodies has this capability (auto crop when a DX lens is mounted). But I don't think there's much interest among Nikonians.

Hmmm.. great! At least I know i am not hallucinating and that was not a crazy idea!
11-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Forum Member

it's not a question of shooting crop at FF - it's a question of using crop lense at FF cameras.
there is NO visible vignetting with the following DA lims:
40, 70. for 35 - I do not remember. the rest has strong vignetting

11-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This is what Nikon does. They crop the image in camera to match the lens.

But, for most Nikon shooters this means that their 12mp camera acts like a 6mp camera.

If the sensor was 24mp+ then you are now cropping down to normal APS-C levels. But if you can afford the D3x, then why would you still shoot DX lenses?

Canon has a problem with their EF-S lenses. They interfer with the mirror in their FF bodies.
11-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Does the Nikon crop to match the lens *exactly*?
I think this was what the post author thought of.
Or it crops only to APS-C, even if the lens is perfectly fine at APS-H or other sizes, depending on the zoom level, which for some lenses would be very aggressive cropping.

On the other hand, since the user had purchases camera as capable as DSLR, i think the best option is to crop as one wishes on their computer. Just provide flexible and fast/productive enough tool (with configurable FL's and matching crop factors settings etc), or if possible include it in camera. Defaulting to APS-C is as lame as digital zoom in so sophisticated tools as interchangeable lens cameras.
11-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Does the Nikon crop to match the lens *exactly*?
I think this was what the post author thought of.
Or it crops only to APS-C, even if the lens is perfectly fine at APS-H or other sizes, depending on the zoom level, which for some lenses would be very aggressive cropping.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Nikon crops all the way to APS-C whether necessary or not. Probably make a lot of sense in practical terms - you know ahead of time what kind fo crop you are going to get from a given lens. Unless it shows that way in the viewfinder (I'm imagining etched lines), I can see why it still turn out to be not very practical. So I agree with you - might as well just shoot the whole image and deal with it yourself in PP.
11-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
So I agree with you - might as well just shoot the whole image and deal with it yourself in PP.
But as Pentax is Pentax, most criticals will say is lacking a feature: "auto adjust canvas", adjusting output image to lens coverage !!

But indeed would be cool to have the setting: "full frame" x "Adjusted Output"