Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #16

There is a difference between using the Nizn batteries in a flash and the camera.

The voltage of the lithium batteries that comes with a camera is almost the same as the NiZn batteries. That said on amazon some reported that the voltage is as high as 1.85V freshly charged though it drops of very quickly, so compared to the lithium s 1.7-1.8V there isn't much of a difference really but wouldn't mind if someone test it out.

11-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Ah, I knew I should have posted this here too:

Just FYI.

There is an interesting thread in the Camera and Studio Accessories forum alerting people to some cases where using NiZn AA's has burnt out some people's Pentax AF360 flash guns, due to their higher voltage not being compatible with the charging circuit.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/80786-nizn-batt...fgz-flash.html

Users of the NiZn's in the K-x may like to take note.
Please do take a look at that thread. I have added my own humble thoughts about NiZn to that thread that may be of interest.
11-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JackBak Quote
Please do take a look at that thread. I have added my own humble thoughts about NiZn to that thread that may be of interest.
Noted. Once again, the formidable expertise of all sorts that dwells in the PentaxForums is revealed.

Still, around electronics and power supplies in particular count me conservative. Over many years I've had only good relationships with all manner of gadgets and PC's by being so. I'll personally wait for NiZn v2.
11-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I do not have the K-x, but I wonder if the battery compartment construction is similar as in the K-m, which I own. And maybe the springs are too weak also (see my post about the K-m here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/627075-post19.html
Maybe they are greasy too, like in my K-m when it was new.

12-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #20

I dont have the NiZn batteries, but I did test the Energizer Lithium Ultimate batteries that came with the camera...

Each battery is about 1.75 V with no load (measured one single battery)
4 batteries together came to 7.04 V with no load = 1.76 V each
4 batteries with the camera (K-x) on came toto 6.4 volts = 1.6 V each

If the NiZn battery voltages are as stated, then I would assume that there would be no problem using them.

Just hope this helps everyone out.
07-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by danbee46 Quote
My NiZn batteries came yesterday. I charged them to make sure they had a full charge and inserted into my K-x. I didn't wait the suggested several seconds before turning it on. Instead I immediately started the camera and got the green indicator. So far I have only taken a dozen shots (HDR and regular) and a 30 second video. The green is still there. Over the next few days I intend to shoot a couple of hundred shots and see what happens. Note that you need a special charger with these batteries.

--Dan
Does your camera still work?
07-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Capt Nemo O2 Quote
4 batteries with the camera (K-x) on came toto 6.4 volts = 1.6 V each
How do you manage to measure the voltage if the batteries are in the camera?

Anyways, I had a K100D before and I was having serious AA batteries issues. I had 2 sets of Eneloops and a La Crosse bc-700 charger. The batteries would show as empty within about 20 shots if used right away, or as empty after a couple of shots if the batteries rested even for one day.

If I tried to charge them, after showing empty in the K100D, they'd charge only about 200 mah.

So I mainly used the Travor battery grip or rechargeble crv3 with the K100D.

Then I decided to give another LSD type of batteries can't recall the name (sold here in europe) a shot. They did work fine with the K100D (roughly 300 shots without showing empty).

I got a K-X, tried out the eneloops and still the same issue, very poor performance with the eneloops I had. With the other set of LSD batteries and a set of Rayovac 4.0 that came with the camera and they also work fine with the K-X.

So I think the eneloops have gone bad.

Long story short. I would blame the camera right away. If you're having problems with batteries, buy another set of batteries and try them first.
07-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
I would blame the camera right away. If you're having problems with batteries, buy another set of batteries and try them first.
Perhaps you missed the "not" in blaming the camera?

Anyway - there may or may not be a long term problem using NiZn batteries in the K-x (or any other Pentax dSLR) - all the reasoning with lithium AA primaries do sound right and quite logical - but there is just some lingering doubt.

Electronics are sensitive to over voltage and even if there isn't sudden death - could cause damage/deterioration over the long term.

So there is some risk.

However why take the risk - when the overwhelming recommendation whenever battery problems come up is to use eneloops? and mostly from experienced Pentax users?

Of course there may be the occasional report that even eneloops don't seem to work - but as Deni points out - even the much recommended eneloops are not perfect sometimes even a single cell going bad could pull the whole set down.

My personal experience on the K100D and K-x on eneloops has been good
on the K-x my current highest shot count is 1,528 and I am averaging over 1,200 per charge - and this is quite consistent - I have had over 12 sets of battery changes in my K-x -
my regime is described in Post #57 (link) in Kx in Use

The point is that the overwhelming recommendation here - including many experienced Pentax users is to use eneloops with a good charger. So why take the risk?