Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Are NiZn batteries safe for Pentax K-x?

I just took delivery on a K-x and thankfully it works with all of the batteries I have tried, but my NiMH batts didn't last long, probably because they are old. I want to get new rechargeables and am leaning toward the NiZn. I've seen mentions of their use in other Pentax cameras in this forum, but would like to hear from anyone who has been using them for a few weeks in the K-x.

I called Pentax customer service about the NiZn batteries - they have not tested them in their cameras, so they are not willing to say they are OK. The rep also said it's possible that the warranty could be voided if the camera is damaged by the higher voltage.

Would any EEs out there care to comment on the potential for damage and/or does anyone have extended experience with the NiZn batteries in the K-x?

Thanks,
Bob

11-18-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd suggest working with new eneloops and a Sanyo eneloop charger first. They are reliable performers on the K-x, and eneloops seem to have semi-official Pentax endorsement, since they ship with the camera in some markets. NiZn is still a rather exotic battery technology. I'm not surprised Pentax support haven't tested them.
11-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

My NiZn batteries came yesterday. I charged them to make sure they had a full charge and inserted into my K-x. I didn't wait the suggested several seconds before turning it on. Instead I immediately started the camera and got the green indicator. So far I have only taken a dozen shots (HDR and regular) and a 30 second video. The green is still there. Over the next few days I intend to shoot a couple of hundred shots and see what happens. Note that you need a special charger with these batteries.

--Dan
11-19-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Dan. I'm aware of the need for a special charger and look forward to hearing more about your experience with these batteries after you've given them a good workout.

Bob

11-19-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
wll
Veteran Member

NiZn's for me

I bought a set and charged them.....did not wait and the green light came on right away.

Eneloops I have heard are hit and miss, reports of 80-150 shots and then failure with some K-x's. I did not want to spend funds on another set of Hybrids as I have many Rayovac Hybrids and they work very, very well with every camera, flash, etc, etc I own.

This battery thing pretty sad, as I think the K-x is the best small camera Pentax has ever made. It may be a camera for the novice, and it does not have the heft and ruggedness of my K20D, but its image quality, sensational high ISO ability, and great DR make up for it. This sensor IMHO is just incredible !!!

wll
11-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
This battery thing pretty sad, as I think the K-x is the best small camera Pentax has ever made.
Yes, the K-x is a very neat little camera. But it would be a mistake to assume the K-x is unique in having AA related battery issues.

As owners of previous Pentax AA-powered DSLR's know, and many previous threads in this forum attest, many of the AA battery issues people have reported with the K-x (especially those related to rechargables) aren't unique to the K-x. The K-x is not a unique 'problem child' camera when it comes to batteries by any means.

Oh, and I have to dispute whether the K-x is
QuoteQuote:
the best small camera Pentax has ever made
I think that honour belongs to the Pentax MX, and others in the M-series film Pentaxes. While the K-x is indeed nice and compact, it still isn't that small relative to other Pentaxes of the past.

To illustrate the point, my K-x looks like a giant alongside my MX and MV .

11-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Forum Member

I'm using NiZn batteries in my K200D right now. I bought the batteries to prepare for my K-X which will arrive in the Philippines in early December. My K200D worked better with Lithium AA's compared to Eneloops.

11-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yes, the K-x is a very neat little camera. But it would be a mistake to assume the K-x is unique in having AA related battery issues.

As owners of previous Pentax AA-powered DSLR's know, and many previous threads in this forum attest, many of the AA battery issues people have reported with the K-x (especially those related to rechargables) aren't unique to the K-x. The K-x is not a unique 'problem child' camera when it comes to batteries by any means.

Oh, and I have to dispute whether the K-x is

I think that honour belongs to the Pentax MX, and others in the M-series film Pentaxes. While the K-x is indeed nice and compact, it still isn't that small relative to other Pentaxes of the past.

To illustrate the point, my K-x looks like a giant alongside my MX and MV .

Yes , you are correct . The film cameras were tiny, I loved my MX Super .. I'm VERY sorry I sold it.

But I do own a couple of mint ZX-5n's and they are beauties (both have battery packs) :- )

wll
11-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

Not completely so, and it's still hard to know just how pervasive or how bad the problem actually is, but having been around since the early days of the *istDS, I think it safe to say the *reports* of battery problems with the K-x are worse than with previous models. Virtually all problem reports from previous models reduced to "I don't get very many shots when using crappy batteries", but at least some reports from the K-x are of more significant problems. Still, I suspect that between the possibility of one bad batch of cameras and the fact that the whole menu setting to select battery type is relatively new and whatever else might be going on the problem is probably not actually anywhere near as bad as it might seem.
11-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed, this is a different kind of battery problem - as in not turning on. But its scope is much smaller - it seems. I've gotten lazy with updating the NiMH thread, as more people are getting the camera and posting here/DPR without problems, and a Pentax employee hinted at addressing/fixing problem soon.

NiZns are not officially supported (ie void warranty if battery causes damage because they have not tested it), but SHOULD be ok since lithiums have the similar operating voltages.

EDIT 1.6V vs 1.5, so comes out to be 6V vs 6.4V

Last edited by Eruditass; 11-20-2009 at 12:08 PM.
11-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #11

I use the eneloops from the K200 in my K-x. They get the same battery life. ~ 1000 shots.
11-22-2009, 05:12 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Agreed, this is a different kind of battery problem - as in not turning on. But its scope is much smaller - it seems. I've gotten lazy with updating the NiMH thread, as more people are getting the camera and posting here/DPR without problems, and a Pentax employee hinted at addressing/fixing problem soon.

NiZns are not officially supported (ie void warranty if battery causes damage because they have not tested it), but SHOULD be ok since lithiums have the similar operating voltages.

EDIT 1.6V vs 1.5, so comes out to be 6V vs 6.4V
I just took the "resting" voltage of my Energizer Lithiums which I've been using in my K200D for about 2 months now and they were at 1.7 volts.
11-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
I'm using NiZn batteries in my K200D right now. I bought the batteries to prepare for my K-X which will arrive in the Philippines in early December. My K200D worked better with Lithium AA's compared to Eneloops.
How are the NiZn's performing in your k200d compared to Eneloops?
Maybe your'e willing to help me with this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/wanted-items/80863-wanted-nizn-aas-charge...on-com-eu.html
Since i cant find NiZn's anywhere locally.
11-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

NiZn caution!

Ah, I knew I should have posted this here too:

Just FYI.

There is an interesting thread in the Camera and Studio Accessories forum alerting people to some cases where using NiZn AA's has burnt out some people's Pentax AF360 flash guns, due to their higher voltage not being compatible with the charging circuit.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/80786-nizn-batt...fgz-flash.html

Users of the NiZn's in the K-x may like to take note.
11-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
How are the NiZn's performing in your k200d compared to Eneloops?
Maybe your'e willing to help me with this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/wanted-items/80863-wanted-nizn-aas-charge...on-com-eu.html
Since i cant find NiZn's anywhere locally.
Take a look at Eco Friendly Gifts: eneloop - PowerGenix NiZn - Rayovac Rechargeable Batteries - ChicoBag - they can ship directly to the Baltic States, just email them with your order details.