Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Best of the *ist series?

There was a thread on this about a year or so ago, I cannot find it.

I want opinions on which Pentax *ist DLSR was the best and why.
It may be an un-fair question since the D was a pro camera and the rest were not, all opinions and comments are welcome.

11-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Forum Member

The DL is the only *ist series camera I've owned. The 6mp sensor's support was nicely dialed in at this point, so it seems very close to the K100d in picture quality - and it's one of the few *ist cameras with a 2.5" viewing screen (along with the DL2 & DS2). A solid picture taker & very easy to use. My daughter took our DL to the Galapagos Islands & returned with some excellent photos, and the camera has continued to work flawlessly after lots of heavy use. A definite thumbs up for the DL!

Last edited by bobore; 11-22-2009 at 04:06 PM.
11-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have had several cameras from the *ist Series. Personally I would say I liked them in that order and why:

1. *ist D (2 wheels, battery grip, super smooth shutter, Penta Prism)
2. *ist DS2 (Penta Prism, large LCD screen)
3. *ist DS (Penta Prism)
3. *ist DL (Penta Mirror)
11-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

I would vote for DS

11-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #5

*ist choice

If you don't manual focus, the DL would be fine. If you do use manual focus (ie: A series lenses) then you'll probably prefer the prism finder to the mirror finder. Definately a D if you can find one at your price, otherwise a DS or DS2 depending on availability. I got lucky about a year ago and found a DS from a dealer with a new camera warranty! The DS2 offers the bigger LCD, but I don't consider that much of a plus. Anyway, I'm happy with my DS - 6 mp is fine.

Al
11-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've used, & been satisfied with, a pair of DS bodies for years. So far, I haven't felt a compelling need to move up to a newer model. The only thing that made the D a "pro model" as you've deemed to tag it, was the inclusion of two wheels to control shutter & aperture selection during full manual metering mode, as opposed to the one with a button on the DS, if this is a determining factor for you. I personally do not find it to be better or worse, just different, & I use this feature quite often.

Last edited by raymeedc; 11-20-2009 at 05:29 PM.
11-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*istD without a doubt

clearly the *istD is the best even with it's small buffer slow write speed and small screen.

Big plusses,

dual whumb wheels
penta prism
TTL Flash metering
11-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Banned

I have the DS2 with penta prism and I like the larger 2.5" LCD than the D or DS and TTL flash mode for my AF400T and AF500FTZ.

11-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
clearly the *istD is the best even with it's small buffer slow write speed and small screen.

Big plusses,

dual whumb wheels
penta prism
TTL Flash metering
Not so clear to me. The DS has the same TTL flash metering capabilities & the same Pentaprism, with a larger buffer area & screen, uses more modern SD cards and, as I stated above, the dual wheel vs. single wheel setup is a matter of preference (IMO), and of no consequence at all if you don't use the full manual metering mode often.
11-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Not so clear to me. The DS has the same TTL flash metering capabilities & the same Pentaprism, with a larger buffer area & screen, uses more modern SD cards and, as I stated above, the dual wheel vs. single wheel setup is a matter of preference, and of no consequence at all if you don't use the full manual metering mode often.
which is where my *istD spends most of it's time

Note also the DS is a little on the small side,

Even the *istD is a relitively small camera, when you consider coming from a fill sized monster like a PZ-1.
11-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Note also the DS is a little on the small side,

E
Another matter of preference. I love the small size of my DS. Among other benefits, it allows me to easily carry two bodies at once, making my habit of shooting with primes almost exclusively a much more efficient matter, not having to continually change lenses. I keep one with a permanently mounted M42 adapter for my screwmounts, while the other handles my SMC Ks.
11-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #12
Forum Member

My pick... the original *ist D

I loved the Original *ist D for several reasons...

1. proprietary hyperprogram features with twin dials (opposed to other *ist's on the series)
2. battery grip option
3. dreamy Sony 6mp sensor (although I never use the D, i miss the output from this sensor, can't really describe it, its just different)

I never use it, but I keep it as a collectors item and for the nostalgia it brings
11-21-2009, 07:47 AM   #13

*ist DS.

Its all I have used in the last 5 years. My first dSLR (coming from a ZX-5N QD), and I am not missing anything (yet). I don't have a strong reason to upgrade (yet). Its smaller size makes it the happy medium for my wife and me....

Swapping the focus screen is easy. Another plus, I think, if you like to shoot manual focus lenses or just like to focus manually.

There is some truth to what was tought to me a hile back: you could have a $50 lens and $1000 camera, or $1000 lens and $50 camera. The latter is the one to give you $1000 pictures (figuratively, of course, but you get the idea)
11-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't believe no one who used the D mentions the super smooth shutter and mirror slap. My first DSLR was the *ist D and then I bought the *ist DS a little later as a backup body. When I took the first picture with the DS, I actually thought that thing was broken because of the loud shutter/mirror slap...
11-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #15

Does all the ist use the same sensor from Sony?