Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #1

Just got my k-x in the mail..yahoo!!

Well when I got home from work, what did my eye behold a shipment from Newegg for my K-X was I excited ...

Of course I took it out asap stuck my brand spanking new 8gb sd card into it and began shooting with the included 18-55mm lens. But I did run into a problem I put on my SIGMA MC 100-200MM F4.5 MACRO ZOOM, PENTAX K MOUNT lens and mounted with no issue but when I tried to shoot with the lens the an F icon inside the viewfinder kept blinking and it wouldn't let me push the camera button down so I could not take any pictures with it. Does any know one know what I might be doing wrong ie. setting or switch etc that I'm not doing?!?!?

All help and input greatly appreciated... as you can tell I'm a complete NOOB to the DSLR world...

11-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
assuming it comes setup like the older models, you'd have to ENABLE the use of lenses without automatic aperture or whatever way they describe it...

Check in the manual for "utilizing lenses non-Av orolder than A series or however they call it..)
11-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Actually, instead of trying to figure out how it all all works from the manual, which doens't really clearly describe the proces,s see the sticky thread in this very forum on using manual lenses.
11-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I am hearing, you're going to love that camera. I bought my wife the K-m about a week before they announced the K-x....but we're very happy with the K-m. Manual lenses might take a little getting used to for exposure....but it's worth it!

11-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Actually, instead of trying to figure out how it all all works from the manual, which doens't really clearly describe the proces,s see the sticky thread in this very forum on using manual lenses.
Look at the manual and look at sticky on this and it directs me to set the FOCAL LENGTH but when I go to that option in the menu on the camera that option is disabled ... where do I go from here the sticky doesn't cover that issue...
11-19-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Is this a manual focus or automatic lens? The 'aperture ring prohibited' setting is in menu #4 in the custom menu section, set it to permitted. If it is manual focus, you also may not be able to fire if you have the camera set to 'catch in-focus' as it is waiting to get the subject in focus before it will fire the shot. This is also in the custom menu settings (not sure which tab) - turn the catch in-focus to off. Also make sure to set the lens to the A setting on the aperture ring to get full automatic metering. I think that should cover it!
11-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Read page 284 of the Pentax K-x operating manual first.
Go to Custom Menu 4, Tab 22 and change the default to Using Aperture Ring to "Permitted"
11-19-2009, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thats what it says in the manual? tab 22 is mis-leading, since the custom menu is broken into 4 sections it is the 2nd selection in tab 4 of the custom menu. weird! (unless you meant Tab 2, and not Tab 22!) I actually like the menu being broken into multiple tabs (rather than a never ending list like my k20).

11-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #9

Original Poster
pxpaulx- That did it thanks a bunch for your help on this!!!!!