Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-x Bringing in Lots of New Members

Hey guys,

Is it only me or it feels like the K-x has really got into the market really nicely? It seems like a bunch of newbies are around and with the K-x...

I think it's great!

Anyone feeling the same?

11-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm a pentaxforum n00b and I agree!

I also think Pentax did the right ghing by pushing the Kx out when they did.
The timed it just right for prices and reviews to settle in time for the holiday push and I suspect were going to see a whole lota new Pentaxians as a result.

PS. I still they put out a K200D replacement though
11-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Forum Member

I waited for good second DSLR compact system. I went to the shop for K7 but got k-X
11-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it's great!!...more sales of lenses etc as well. A percentage of them will evolve and become regular forum members.

Future Shop (A electronics store like Best Buy or Circuit City) dropped Pentax a while back but I see it's back on display with the K-x (The K-7 didn't make it).

11-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Forum Member

I agree, the K-x is competetive in its class. With Pentax targeting the K-x at first-time/casual SLR users, I'm still unsure about the DAL lenses that can come with the K-x. On one hand, the 18-55/55-300 kit is a good value, while on the other hand the plastic mount and plastic construction may not instill confidence in a first time buyer.
11-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtschanz Quote
I agree, the K-x is competetive in its class. With Pentax targeting the K-x at first-time/casual SLR users, I'm still unsure about the DAL lenses that can come with the K-x. On one hand, the 18-55/55-300 kit is a good value, while on the other hand the plastic mount and plastic construction may not instill confidence in a first time buyer.
I was actually surprised at the picture quality....although it seems strange having a plastic K mount.... My wife seems to have permanently borrowed my FA 43 LTD for her K-m......I think I might be missing another one as well....
11-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
MSM
Veteran Member

BBear: I was thinking (hoping for) the same thing. I was wondering what percentage of K-x users are new to Pentax or even new to DSLR. We have seen a lot of posters say that they bought a new Pentax and also that they have been a Pentax user for 20-30 years. It is nice to see an expansion to the user base.

11-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I am liking all the new members around as well, it means that pentax is doing something right!

In regards to the plastic mounts...I think Pentax users have simply been pampered too much in the past...plastic mounts are pretty much standard across the board with any other camera kits I have handled.
11-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've got into the Pentax system with the K10D, and as far as I'm concerned, the K-X is the only camera released since then (K200D, K20D, K-M/K2000, K-7), that hasn't really been followed by the usual "this camera will spell the end of Pentax", "this is the make-or break camera for Pentax", "why the hell did they release this camera, it doesn't have all that I want", etc themed discussions around here. Must be a good thing.
11-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I'm dreaming a camera, K-7 +K-x. Small body but great image Q. So just waiting.... What I have now? Big and noise K10D! I looooooooooooooove K10D. I have to by next year.......
11-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #11
Forum Member

Hey there! Yes, I'm totally new to this forum, and Pentax, with the purchase of my K-x. I used Canon point and shoots for a while and borrowed a Rebel XS for a few months with the intent of getting an XSi. But, a friend had a K20D and I was impressed by it. I then did the research and the K-x seemed to be the best value by FAR for a entry level camera, and Pentax lenses seemed very competitively priced with all the options I would need. So there you have it!

In regard to the plastic mount kit lenses, I don't have any experience with lenses so it doesn't really put me off in any way; which is probably how most new DSLR feel?
11-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
it seems to me a lot of the older members will own their k-x sooner or later.
11-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #13

Only worry is the inevitable greater demand for used lenses, when they figure out that they can use K, M or A series glass and get great results!

Regarding the DA L lenses, I've had the 18-55mm since July and never had any problems. The front element doesn't rotate when focussing, which is a step ahead of the F and FA zooms that I have. It feels light, but the zoom ring is nicely damped and the photos are excellent considering that it's intended to be a cheap kit lens. I think it might be the 50mm f2 of our times.

Last edited by Dangermouse; 11-19-2009 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Additional content
11-19-2009, 06:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Dangermouse - I've been using Pentax gear for a good 3 years plus, and have to say the prices on used lenses being dirt cheap sailed long before I purchased my *istDL! I've seen discussions about people buying Pentax lenses so cheap earlier in the decade it would make your eyes go crossed. The deals are out there still, but mostly sitting in someone's basement or at the back of the shelf at local pawn shops for us to discover!
11-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #15

newb here as well.. and love the forums!

Might sound odd but these forums actually played a role in my decision to buy Pentax and the K-x..

When you're new and learning support and a good community are vital.. I've already learned a ton through these forums and I don't even have my K-x in my hands yet!

just fyi.. new to pentax and new to dslr..

before this all my cameras had been Cannon..

I think I already got this lens sickness I hear about.. snagged two off of ebay already.. hehe

oh where do you guys get Pentax (camera) sig graphic like pop and msm above?