Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #1

From K2000(K-m) to K-x, and question

I just got my K-x with the 55-300mm kit from amazon today. I spent an hour tested everything, everything works great, no battery issue at all. Here are my 2cents comparing the K-x to my old K2000(K-m). K-m is good, but k-x is much better.

-ISO, as expected, works great, K-x's ISO3200 is better than K-m's ISO1600

-Auto Focus, this surprises me. I didn't change the AF setting on the K-x. With the 11 points AF, it's so much faster than the K-m. When I use the old K-m, it still hunts for focus at lower lighting, but for K-x, focus is pretty much right on, no more hunting.

-Auto WB, works much better than K-m, When i enable "AWB in Tungsten light" in the K-x, it's pretty much right on. In K-m, i need to use Tungsten light WB because the Auto WB is off.

-Exposure, when i use K-m, i need to set EV to +0.7, no more in K-x.

-LV, much better and more useful than K20D.

There still a lot of new features I haven't play with, but with that little time, i'm very impress with the K-x performance.

-Question I have for other K-x users,
Is there anyway to turn off the Status Screen? Because in K-m, i can turn off the LCD, but there is no option in K-x, the default is set to 30second.

Last edited by winglik; 11-18-2009 at 10:37 PM.
11-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can push the info screen until it is black, and it will remember that (memory setting)
11-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
You can push the info screen until it is black, and it will remember that (memory setting)
Thanx, actually it's press the Info key twice and the LCD will turn off.
11-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

you can also turn off the screen lighting up when you change modes (as well as at startup) - can't remember where that is in the menu, but I was happy to find it!

11-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here's how to turn off practically everything. I posted this in another thread a long time ago but it may be useful here too:

QuoteQuote:
I wanted to turn everything off on the K-x's display so stuff wasn't always flashing me in the face.

Now when I start the K-x up, I get a blank screen at the back by default. When I shoot an image, no annoying instant review image comes up, nor anything else either. The power on LED on top of the camera is also off all the time, and there is also nothing displayed when I change mode dial settings.

To turn off the back display status screen under capture mode, press the INFO button until you get a blank screen. It will stay blank until you turn the camera off or press another button.

To have the camera start up with a blank status screen, make the screen blank by pressing the INFO button until the screen is blank, then go into the Menu, page 4, and under 'Memory', go to p2 and make sure the 'Shooting Info Display' item is ticked. Then exit the Menu and restart the camera. You will then always start up to a blank status screen.

To turn off the Instant Review, goto Menu, p3 and turn off 'Instant Review'.

To turn off the top LED, go to the Custom Menu, Item 20, and set the 'Power lamp' to off.

To turn off the Mode Dial guide display as you change shooting modes, go into Menu > Settings > Guide Display, and set it to Off.

It took me a while to figure this all out, but now the camera is completely dark until I want it to show something.