11-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No SHARPNESS, NO NR

D300s
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/24949rKmzVoa3Ly/mXcJqYOp2D/420354.jpg
K-x
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/24949rKmzVoa3Ly/mXcJqYOp2D/420355.jpg

K-x is sharper even without sharp and has lower noise at base ISO.

It's strange - at f5.6 K-x is better, at f8 - D300s.
The different samples of Sigma 70 for Pentax and Nikon.
Going by the extra moire and sharpness in the Kx images I would guess it has a weak or non existent AA filter, the Nikon having quite a strong one.

11-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
As i said color is pure myth, you can change to whatever you like.

Camera is just a tool.
Do you have any shots where you've pushed the saturation on red?
11-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Do you have any shots where you've pushed the saturation on red?

i keep very busy with work so do not have many photos but here are few of some photos i think i pushed saturation on red.

(in my previous post red was also pushed though).

Nara

maple

11-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
OK, but then, you must admit you are actually talking about the JPEG engine and nothing else - because the actual sensor data is identical between the K100DS and lots of other cameras. And once you accept that what you are actually talking about isd the JPEG engine, then you must consider the possibility that simply shooting RAW with your own customized presets - or even custom tweaking the camera JPEG settings (there are more controls than just saturation) could probably make the color look exactly as you like it.
It is entirely possible that I just don't like the default jpeg settings that Pentax has chosen for the K-x. Hopefully I'd be able to adjust the camera to give me what I want, but I'll need to make sure before I buy. The jpeg engine is important to me. I shoot raw+. I don't want to have to process the jpegs and I don't want them to have the dirty yellow tinge I see in some Nikon photos.

A lot of people talk about Pentax colours, yet the K100DS and K20D do not have the same colour signature. What they both have however is a very vibrant rendering of colour that reminds me of old Fuji film, with very punchy bright colours, especially greens. I have a good friend with a couple of expensive Canons. He raves about the colours from my cameras. Too often I see a brown emphasis in his photos that doesn't appeal to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You should also consider, BTW, that the K-x is an entry level camera and is probably being shot disproportionately by beginning photographers using the kit lens and all default settings. So I wouldn't read too much into it if you're not seeing a lot of really professional-quality results.
I looked at K20D, K100DS and K-x photos on Flikr, I would expect the quality to be similar, especially between the entry level cameras. I found the K-x photos looked drab in the comparison. Have a look at these review samples, don't the colours look dull to you? Pentax K-x Review - Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG
Why did Pentax suddenly drop the punchy colours of previous default jpgs? Is it just a decision to change, or does the K-x sensor not support brightly coloured jpegs?

11-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #50
Pentaxian

i keep very busy with work so do not have many photos but here are few of some photos i think i pushed saturation on red.

Nice photos. Is this look available out of the camera, or did the jpegs need to be processed? The reds look about the same colour as the K20D on Natural setting. I could live with that, I guess, if it's available without p-p.
11-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Why did Pentax suddenly drop the punchy colours of previous default jpgs? Is it just a decision to change, or does the K-x sensor not support brightly coloured jpegs?
Oh yes, the K-x supports bright JPGs. I thought the defaults in the K-x were too bright, in fact, just like they were by default in the K200D, so I always use the 'Natural' custom image setting for day-to-day shooting, instead of the defaults.

But if you like bright punchy colours, they can certainly be yours with the K-x, either just use the in-camera 'Bright' Custom Image setting or tweak up saturation, hue, sharpness etc in-camera to your tastes.
11-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #52
Pentaxian

I found the K-x photos looked drab in the comparison. Have a look at these review samples, don't the colours look dull to you? Pentax K-x Review - Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG
LOL. Those are photos taken in drab, dreary overcast London. Of course they look a bit dull and grey. It's England after all... Under the bright Australian sky, and probably elsewhere with a climate , the K-x does bright really well.
11-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And I have seen equally impressive and better taken with Nikon, Canon,Sony , Olympus.

I just am finding the statements that Pentax has the best "colour", "lenses" etc etc a tad narrow minded

I'm sure all the users of Nikon D300/700 / Canon 7D/5DMK11 etc will be flocking to the Kx in droves.

Sure a camera is just a tool - some tools just offer a more complete package.

Can we now have some high speed, low light ballet ,basketball shots etc etc to compare

11-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Nice photos. Is this look available out of the camera, or did the jpegs need to be processed? The reds look about the same colour as the K20D on Natural setting. I could live with that, I guess, if it's available without p-p.
it is difficult to get everything right out of camera if not impossible. I know few people who can do it, but i am not that person. So i need to bump saturation selectively to colors.
They are processed but think this way that not all the photos are worth working on, so if you are going to hang them to wall they do worth some work.
11-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
And I have seen equally impressive and better taken with Nikon, Canon,Sony , Olympus.

I just am finding the statements that Pentax has the best "colour", "lenses" etc etc a tad narrow minded

I'm sure all the users of Nikon D300/700 / Canon 7D/5DMK11 etc will be flocking to the Kx in droves.

Sure a camera is just a tool - some tools just offer a more complete package.

Can we now have some high speed, low light ballet ,basketball shots etc etc to compare

camera is just a tool, one can get good photos from almost any capable camera.
11-23-2009, 04:09 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
That's not really my sort of photography, but from my observations of the K-x it has the technical capabilities (high frame rate, excellent high ISO IQ, high dynamic range in particular) to do quite well in that sort of photography, paired with appropriate lenses etc.

For what it's worth, those scenarios are exactly the ones that define the DXOMark Low-Light ISO score, so when DXOLabs eventually update their metrics to include the K-x, let alone the K-7, 7D and D300s, it will be very interesting indeed. I personally expect the D300s to go neck and neck with the K-x to lead the APS-C Low Light ISO rankings, but I expect the 7D will score down the scale somewhat, alongside or only slightly better than the 50D and 500D due to its pixel density handicap. The FF guys will however still be considerably ahead, no matter how well the D300s or K-x may perform.

Image related: I expect the K-x will be up where the D90 is, or better:

Last edited by rawr; 11-23-2009 at 04:20 AM.
11-23-2009, 04:29 AM   #57
Pentaxian

@zxaar
i love your last picture..

stunning color
11-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #58
Pentaxian

A lot of people talk about Pentax colours
You'll note I am not one of them :-). Color is subjective, easily changed to one's taste, so I don't consider it anything worth making a decision factor.

QuoteQuote:
Have a look at these review samples, don't the colours look dull to you?
To me, they look like accurate depictions of dull scenes. I suppose if you want them to look brighter, you could turn up the saturation, and/or be sure to use Bright rather than Natural mode. Personally, I want a dull scene to look dull.

QuoteQuote:
I looked at K20D, K100DS and K-x photos on Flikr, I would expect the quality to be similar, especially between the entry level cameras.
Yeah, but the former models have been out for a long time. You're seeing the best pictures these camera's owners have taken after years of experience. With the K-x, you are probably seeing the very first pictures most of these people have ever taken with a DSLR. Even earlier adopters of the K100DS were probably more sophisticated users overall than many customers of the K-x, just because of how the K-x is being marketed. Not that there aren't some experienced photographers coming to the K-x, of course - no disrespect intended toward any particular K-x owners.

QuoteQuote:
Why did Pentax suddenly drop the punchy colours of previous default jpgs?
Seems like Pentax keeps going back and forth on whether to make Bright or Natural the default - in one case even making Bright the default for people setting the language on the camera one way, Natural the default for people setting the language on the camera a different way. Seems kind of odd to me to hear people talking about Pentax being "bright" or "punchy" compared to the competition. When I first came to Pentax with the DS, it was the other way around - people were criticizing Canon for being too punchy, and praising Pentax for its more muted colors. Not sure when people started associating Pentax with more saturated colors, but it must be pretty recent. Whatever - it's nothing a tweak of a slider won't change.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 11-23-2009 at 12:52 PM.
11-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
@zxaar
i love your last picture..

stunning color
thank you.
11-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #60
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Nara

can you load DNG or PEF of this file at any site to download?