Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
can you load DNG or PEF of this file at any site to download?
i quickly tried to locate the file but could not do it. At the moment i need to go to office so in evening will search again.

11-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #62
Veteran Member

can you load DNG or PEF of this file at any site to download?
Here is Dng.

IMGP2178.DNG

Please remember that it is taken in very harsh day light, so out of cam is not so pleasing as one might think of.

But it would be fun to see how others process it. Usually it is a learning experience.
11-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
Here is Dng.

IMGP2178.DNG

Please remember that it is taken in very harsh day light, so out of cam is not so pleasing as one might think of.

But it would be fun to see how others process it. Usually it is a learning experience.
I always have fun with stuff like this, it's always interesting to see how differently people perceive images and how they want them to look, even when you're working from the same material. I was drawn to the graduated steps between the blue sky, hazy mountain, and fall colors of the trees and tried to bring out the contrast between those elements. I boosted the red as well, but not as much. In the end I think your version better captures the rustic feel of the prefecture.

Nara
11-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It does not have good resolution. It is only 12mp.

11-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pеl Jensen Quote
It does not have good resolution. It is only 12mp.
Are you referring to a specific image in this topic? Are you saying that the camera has poor sharpness from the sensor? Are you complaining that 12mp is not enough? Some context for your statement would be helpful.
11-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #66
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Here is Dng.

IMGP2178.DNG

The picture is very hard underexposed. (i've opened in LR and UFRAW)
It's hard to work with such photos.
But DR of K-x is outstanding. I prefer less digital look.

But the picture looks very good. Two versions.
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/24445pwW2GP2SlT/GZa8syV6SN/422577.jpg
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/24445pwW2GP2SlT/GZa8syV6SN/422578.jpg

BUT...I opened in Silky Pix Pro 4 - no any exposure mistake...
I've made 2 variants

http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/24445pwW2GP2SlT/GZa8syV6SN/422614.jpg
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/24445pwW2GP2SlT/GZa8syV6SN/422749.jpg

Last edited by ogl; 11-26-2009 at 07:41 PM.
11-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #67
Veteran Member

K-x has GOOD COLOURS, LOW NOISE and GOOD RESOLUTION

A dissenting opinion: Re: My Yellow Pentax K-x: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

11-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
K-x has GOOD COLOURS, LOW NOISE and GOOD RESOLUTION

A dissenting opinion: Re: My Yellow Pentax K-x: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
But as he concedes:
My dissatisfaction with the K-x is based solely on a subjective preference for the K10 at ISO 100 and 200.

The main point of this thread has been people measurebating their way to a pretty solid conclusion about the K'x's IQ, including some who were initially very sceptical about the K-x's IQ compared to other Pentaxes. This 'dissenting opinion' will probably end up taking a similar journey, I suspect.
11-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But as he concedes:
My dissatisfaction with the K-x is based solely on a subjective preference for the K10 at ISO 100 and 200.
He also likens the K-x output to a good compact. When I think of p&s I think oversharpened and heavy NR. His opinion may be due to the weak or non-existant anti-alias filter and the fact that the K-x uses stronger NR than other Pentax cameras.

The main point of this thread has been people measurebating their way to a pretty solid conclusion about the K'x's IQ, including some who were initially very sceptical about the K-x's IQ compared to other Pentaxes. This 'dissenting opinion' will probably end up taking a similar journey, I suspect.
I doubt if he will change his opinion, since he's not keeping the K-x. I'll probably still get one, but the nattering about IQ has slowed me down.
11-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
He also likens the K-x output to a good compact.
When I read that I not only (a) almost fell out of my chair laughing but also (b) lost a significant degree of respect for his opinion.

As the owner of a point and shoot like the Fuji Finepix F10 that was (and some argue still is) class leading in IQ and especially at high ISO, it's output simply looks like mud compared to the K-x, K-7, or any recent Pentax DSLR, especially past ISO 800. The same still holds true even for the LX3, S90 and other amongst the latest of the P&S crop. Just look at them using the Imaging Resource Comparometer. You can't squeeze blood from a stone with such tiny sensors.
QuoteQuote:
the K-x uses stronger NR than other Pentax cameras.
Wat?. Even dpr's GordonBGood doesn't agree with that, when he says it matches the NR thresholds of the K-7 up to 3200. Anyway, aside from whatever is happening deep within in the circuitry of the Sony sensor, from the user perspective 'compulsory' in-camera NR only kicks in after ISO 6400 on the K-x, at a configurable level. Before 6400 ISO, in-camera NR is completely optional on the K-x, which I think reveals a lot about the clean output of the sensor.

But more generally, the road to achieving good image quality at high ISO in any camera, including the K-x, can't just go through heavy NR. The K-x is able to hold onto decent IQ as it moves up the ISO scale (inc wide dynamic range range and retaining high lph resolution) due to other interesting properties of the sensor and it's supporting circuitry, as the lumolabs articles discuss.

Either way, there is enough information out there by now for most people to see that the K-x ain't that bad at all as a imager, from a subjective and even a technical perspective. Certainly to compare it's output to a compact camera is just dumb, or perhaps just trolling.
11-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Just to clarify, he said the K-x at ISO 3200 looked like a Canon G10 at ISO 320, i.e. best avoided. And he said he preferred the look of the K10 at low ISO.

I believe the K-x and K-7 both apply high ISO NR at 3200 and up, but the K-x applies more. I'm too lazy to look up the reference.
11-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
I always have fun with stuff like this, it's always interesting to see how differently people perceive images and how they want them to look, even when you're working from the same material. I was drawn to the graduated steps between the blue sky, hazy mountain, and fall colors of the trees and tried to bring out the contrast between those elements. I boosted the red as well, but not as much. In the end I think your version better captures the rustic feel of the prefecture.

i think you picture is better than mine, here are reasons:

1, mountain and sky in my picture are bit dull compared to your.
2. the color in your picture does not hurt eyes. When i see both together i feel uneasiness when i look at my picture but yours does not give that feeling. Somehow things look better separated.

Very good work.
11-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #73
Veteran Member

The picture is very hard underexposed. (i've opened in LR and UFRAW)
It's hard to work with such photos.
But DR of K-x is outstanding. I prefer less digital look.

But the picture looks very good. Two versions.
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/24445pwW2GP2SlT/GZa8syV6SN/422577.jpg
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/24445pwW2GP2SlT/GZa8syV6SN/422578.jpg

BUT...I opened in Silky Pix Pro 4 - no any exposure mistake...
I've made darker myself

http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/24445pwW2GP2SlT/GZa8syV6SN/422614.jpg

the pictures you posted look very similar to mine, at least to me.

About exposure part, it was really to tough to shoot anything with light so hard. But shooting something day time is very usual. And i think it is where the person behind camera makes difference.
I remember recently when i went to shodoshima, in our group we had three dSLRs one canon, one sony and mine pentax.
Finally when i sent them pictures from trip i got email asking - why you pictures are so good.
Difficult to explain the camera can not get it right most of the time, some input from user is needed.
11-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #74
Veteran Member

When I read that I not only (a) almost fell out of my chair laughing but also (b) lost a significant degree of respect for his opinion.

As the owner of a point and shoot like the Fuji Finepix F10 that was (and some argue still is) class leading in IQ and especially at high ISO, it's output simply looks like mud compared to the K-x, K-7, or any recent Pentax DSLR, especially past ISO 800. The same still holds true even for the LX3, S90 and other amongst the latest of the P&S crop. Just look at them using the Imaging Resource Comparometer. You can't squeeze blood from a stone with such tiny sensors.
Wat?. Even dpr's GordonBGood doesn't agree with that, when he says it matches the NR thresholds of the K-7 up to 3200. Anyway, aside from whatever is happening deep within in the circuitry of the Sony sensor, from the user perspective 'compulsory' in-camera NR only kicks in after ISO 6400 on the K-x, at a configurable level. Before 6400 ISO, in-camera NR is completely optional on the K-x, which I think reveals a lot about the clean output of the sensor.

But more generally, the road to achieving good image quality at high ISO in any camera, including the K-x, can't just go through heavy NR. The K-x is able to hold onto decent IQ as it moves up the ISO scale (inc wide dynamic range range and retaining high lph resolution) due to other interesting properties of the sensor and it's supporting circuitry, as the lumolabs articles discuss.

Either way, there is enough information out there by now for most people to see that the K-x ain't that bad at all as a imager, from a subjective and even a technical perspective. Certainly to compare it's output to a compact camera is just dumb, or perhaps just trolling.
he said that at low iso it is same as any other cam. But since all the cams today are good at base isos they are all very close to each other, no matter what he picks. At higher isos, i do not agree with his comments. He says it looks like point and shoot, he probably means that lot of NR, but he can shoot without NR and apply it to his tastes. Even at 6400 k-x produces fairly usable images. At iso3200 k-x is very usable.