Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks ogl. Very interesting results.

I wonder if the Pentax engineers are experimenting with the A550 sensor at the moment. Potentially they may be able to do better things with it than Sony has done.

If Pentax use it, it will have to be suitable for video too.

11-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #77
Pentaxian

I thought the Kx had the 550 sensor already?

There is more to it than just the sensor of course, supporting electronics around the sensor does contribute to the final image.
11-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #78
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Google Translate

interview with K-x's "fathers"
11-27-2009, 01:02 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I thought the Kx had the 550 sensor already?

There is more to it than just the sensor of course, supporting electronics around the sensor does contribute to the final image.
No, I believe the 'sister' sensor to the K-x is the sensor in the 12MP Sony A500. The sensor in the A550 is a 14MP one.

And yes, you are most likely right that a lot of the magic lies in the supporting electronics. The Pentax engineers and the PRIME 2 processor etc must contribute a lot to the capabilities of the K-x.

It will be great when the Imaging Resource guys test the Sony A500. Direct comparisons between the A500 and the K-x will then be possible.

11-27-2009, 01:19 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Google Translate

interview with K-x's "fathers"
Cool.

One thing I noticed straight away is that the engineers looked pretty young.

The other thing that seemed clear (as best it can via Google translate) was that their design process involved a big focus on noise management, from the electrical engineering of the circuitry ('To reduce the noise, or alternately compare Kaede also take small passive components, low noise throughout the circuit'), all the way through to the firmware, where they clearly wanted to make even 12800 ISO images a useful possibility, not an after thought.

I note they are also aware of user interest in the lack of super-imposed AF points in the viewfinder.