Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm impressed too - impressed that you were able to stick with this and end up changing your mind! How often does that happen in these discussions?

11-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
No SHARPNESS, NO NR

D300s
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/24949rKmzVoa3Ly/mXcJqYOp2D/420354.jpg
K-x
http://fotkidepo.ru/photo/132601/24949rKmzVoa3Ly/mXcJqYOp2D/420355.jpg

K-x is sharper even without sharp and has lower noise at base ISO.
I think these images looks soft, post RAW please!

(Just joking!!!)
11-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #18
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
My conclusion:

K-x offers the same level of resolution as D300s and has a bit lower noise at ISO from 200-1600, and approx. 2/3 f-stops better from ISO3200.
11-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #19
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blu3ness Quote
what lenses are you using to reach your conclusions?
Not me. It's Sigma 70/2.8 macro.

11-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Yes to both of the comments above...you can really see the smearing of the D700 image on the mosaic label of the right vinegar bottle - more detail is retained in the K-x in the same area.
Cant really compare a full frame with an APSC, despite of the olive bottle look more natural, I'd perfer D700 everytime around. Image sharpness is just not the same.
And yes, I did purchase K-x nonetheless. Yes, I like K-x except the inconsistent battery problem.

/Begin Rant

I hate my female photography partner, she's 20 year old and has a D700 (from her dad), but clueless of what it is. Watching her taking the camera out of that pink sakura bag every single time she takes a pic is just... mentally abusing.

/End Rant
11-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

@all

how come?

sometime i lost for the logics, why an entry-level camera can kill the 'two years old flagship camera of a brand'. anyone can explain..

11-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #22
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
@all

how come?

sometime i lost for the logics, why an entry-level camera can kill the 'two years old flagship camera of a brand'. anyone can explain..

I can't catch...What do you mean? D300s is a new camera.

The same sensor gives the same results.

11-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I can't catch...What do you mean? D300s is a new camera.

The same sensor gives the same results.
i mean..im sorry .. my english..

why it can beat a k20d or k10d..?

is technology really jumping that far? i mean they are using the same size sensors..
11-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

is technology really jumping that far? i mean they are using the same size sensors..
When it comes to technology, this is called the law of accelerating returns. Obviously we are discussing sensor technology alone here - and it moves fast. There are other factors that it won't beat - functionality being the primary one (you can't beat direct access buttons when it comes to a camera - the best way to change settings is with the camera still at your eye level - if you have to pull back and search menus, you have lost the shot)....that is the theory of course, and in practise it is all personal taste. But on a pure sensor level, a new camera will beat a 2-3 year old camera every time (almost!).
11-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Well, it can't in any way *except* noise at high ISO. That's the one tiny, almost inconsequential for most purposes respect in which the K-x beats those two camera. OK, a couple of other equally tiny, almost inconsequential respects too. Which is to say, yes, technology has advanced in two years to allow a cheaper camera today to outperform more expensive older cameras in a few tiny, almost inconsequential ways. That's pretty typical of technology in general. It usually takes more than two years for a less expensive item to completely outperform a more expensive older item, but give it 5-10 years and it almost always does.
11-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Gordon Moore says two years for the processor. Then the rest has to catch up and take advantage of the computing horsepower.

Two to five years? We'll call it Sabatella's Law.
11-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
When it comes to technology, this is called the law of accelerating returns.
Not accelerating. Incremental. If it was accelerating the pace would be getting faster. it's not it's maturing along a slowing curve. The MP's are stalling (for good reason), so the processing can catch up.
11-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Well, it can't in any way *except* noise at high ISO. That's the one tiny, almost inconsequential for most purposes respect in which the K-x beats those two camera. OK, a couple of other equally tiny, almost inconsequential respects too.
Have you used a K-x yet? Having used both the K20D (extensively) and K-x (getting there), well...

I suppose the much faster and more responsive autofocus is indeed pretty much inconsequential, except for the keeping you from missing shots, even when it's just a person walking out of view.

The faster frame rate, as well, is obviously of no importance.

And then bringing it back to image quality... are you really sure the *only* difference is noise at high ISO? The K20D meter (correctly) exposes to preserve the highlights, since shadows can be brought up in post. The only problem is that with the K20D, those shadows are full of noise even at base ISO. With the K-X that noise just doesn't exist.

The high ISO performance is what gets everyone excited, but the much greater versatility at base ISO is what really sells me for the K-x over the K20D.
11-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Have you used a K-x yet? Having used both the K20D (extensively) and K-x (getting there), well...

I suppose the much faster and more responsive autofocus is indeed pretty much inconsequential, except for the keeping you from missing shots, even when it's just a person walking out of view.

The faster frame rate, as well, is obviously of no importance.

And then bringing it back to image quality... are you really sure the *only* difference is noise at high ISO? The K20D meter (correctly) exposes to preserve the highlights, since shadows can be brought up in post. The only problem is that with the K20D, those shadows are full of noise even at base ISO. With the K-X that noise just doesn't exist.

The high ISO performance is what gets everyone excited, but the much greater versatility at base ISO is what really sells me for the K-x over the K20D.
im really interest with what you said here sir.. can u give me link to whoever has done some test?

--
11-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

My kx arrives this week! In silver with brown grip from japan.

k20d is on ebay now 99c with the kit lens from the kx! :P GO! :P