Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x vs K-m JPEG quality

Hi guys,

I don't own either of these cameras, so I really don't know much about this subject. I'm asking for a friend who wants to know if he should upgrade his K-m to the K-x for better JPEG quality.

As you know, the K-m was somewhat universally derided for its poor JPEG processing. I know, I know... shoot RAW! shoot RAW! Well, he doesn't want to shoot RAW that often because he wants to be able to share his photos with friends/family straight out of the camera.

Anyone have experience with both and can give me a rundown on how the in-camera processing differs? Maybe some side-by-side examples if there's anyone out there with both?

Thanks!

11-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This guy posted a detailed image comparison for straight out of camera jpegs.

Pentax Measurebation - a set on Flickr
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Thanks to you both, that helped a lot. Eneloops are on their way already. Now I just need to find someone to buy my K-M body.
11-20-2009, 02:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
As you know, the K-m was somewhat universally derided for its poor JPEG processing.
Only by uninformed people. Nothing's wrong with its JPEG processing. No need to upgrade due to JPEG picture quality.

On the other hand AWB and high ISO is better on K-x since it is a newer camera. Those and other enhancements can be a reason to upgrade, only your friend knows if the enhancements are big and important enough for him to consider a body upgrade. (although I would buy K-x as a new camera if I didn't have any already, the enhancements are not big and important enough to me to upgrade to K-x - but that's just me)

11-20-2009, 03:26 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Only by uninformed people. Nothing's wrong with its JPEG processing. No need to upgrade due to JPEG picture quality.

On the other hand AWB and high ISO is better on K-x since it is a newer camera. Those and other enhancements can be a reason to upgrade, only your friend knows if the enhancements are big and important enough for him to consider a body upgrade. (although I would buy K-x as a new camera if I didn't have any already, the enhancements are not big and important enough to me to upgrade to K-x - but that's just me)
Actually the JPG quality was the only thing i didn't know about. I was already quite sure i was going to exchange my body anyway. But man it's hard to sell the K-m, just thanks to those "uninformed people" you mentioned there.
11-21-2009, 07:26 AM   #6

None of the reviews I read before buying my Km mentioned poor JPEG results, and I can't say I've noticed any problems. I don't shoot RAW as I don't do much if any post-production.

Exposure seems to be pretty much on the money with old manual lenses too, I've never felt the need to fiddle with compensation.
11-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TLiivo Quote
But man it's hard to sell the K-m, just thanks to those "uninformed people" you mentioned there.
I rather doubt it's concern over JPEG quality that is dissuading people form buying. It's just tough to sell a used previous-generated low end camera unless you price it *way* below the new current generation cameras, and the fact that Pentax has a relatively small market share to begin with doesn't help.

11-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I like the Jpeg of Km
11-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the problem with the KM is the DEFAULT jpg settings, so just tweak the jpg settings!

the k20d has crap jpg settings too imo.