Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Deep red rendering on CMOS and CCD

Just compared CCD and CMOS rendering of red velvet roses.
You don't need to be expert to see deeper CCD image without such blown reds (and historgams are pretty the same). In fact both are quite far from reality (and exposure or any other play don't fix this either).
Purple and deep red are always difficult for digital sensors.

Looks like this:

Attached Images

11-20-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No conclusion can be drawn I am afraid.
11-20-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see that in my own results, probably not so much here.
But there's a richness to CCD colours that I prefer over the CMOS rendering.
This is what keeps me coming back to the K10D.
11-20-2009, 03:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
No conclusion can be drawn I am afraid.
I agree on my small IPS monitor difference is not so much noticeable and roses are mostly dark red (but it is best shot from GX-20 with EV compensation and after slightly playing with color versus random auto shot of cheap TZ5).
On large Wide Gamut monitor difference is much more easeally noticeable (and colors are much closer to reality). Purple is worse on CMOS and rose just becomes red versus richer CCD color.

11-20-2009, 03:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is not much to note from the comparison of these two images.

First thing you need to do is keep a consistent environment. Same exposure, same lens, same settings. You clearly have different f-stop, and from what I can see the flower was moved in some way... so perhaps lighting is different. (especially note the thin green stem sticking up along the left side) It is possible you even used different lenses which will have different color characteristics.

I do not doubt you, as I have no experience with the CMOS sensors yet... but I would be interested in seeing a truer comparison.

I am waiting for an excuse to get a K7, but too many issues keep coming up that prohibit me from spending any money on that one.
11-20-2009, 04:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Please, read carefully - I used tz5 compact, so lens is different, of course.
And F1.7 APS-C DOF is hard to compare to F3.3 1/2.5" DOF.
11-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Inactive Account

what's the deal ?

mini photos
different DOF
different EV

11-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
unfortunately you did not mention this in your post and I do not see any of this in the visible exif, so how are we to draw a conclusion between a DSLR and a compact camera?
11-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
unfortunately you did not mention this in your post and I do not see any of this in the visible exif, so how are we to draw a conclusion between a DSLR and a compact camera?
I didn't menton this because it is not important here.
And I am pretty sick from DSLRs snobs, all I want to say is that compact colors can be beter, but both are very far from visible image.
11-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Attacking people isn't the best way to get your point across, even when someone asks a question in a rude way.

I don't know about the compact, but you can set the DSLR to use sRGB vs AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB if viewing on a wide gamut calibrated screen and compare that, along with RAW.

To me, the DSLR definitely looks worse and appears to be clipping some red, which usually happens in the default "bright" setting vs natural.

Also, the JPEG compression artifacts appear worse on the DSLR at the top of the rose.

I agree with your assessment of these particular pictures but would like to see more tests done before drawing any conclusion.

Last edited by Eruditass; 11-20-2009 at 01:15 PM.
11-20-2009, 01:13 PM   #11

I honestly don't understand what you're trying to prove here.

The K10D with its CCD sensor was notorious for blowing out reds, which is pretty much the only reason I shoot in natural mode rather than bright. In fact, when the K20D came out, the CMOS sensor was considered an improvement in this regard.

Also, the dSLR image has noticeably more saturation, not just in the reds but the greens as well, and the white balance appears to be just a slight bit warmer.
11-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
Oh crap. Another troll.

When you're actually ready to learn, feel free to come back.
Doing a little investigation and getting more information about your subject might be helpful before you try to be so argumentative. Instead you simply sound like a fool. :ugh:
11-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I wouldn't call him another troll, he seems to be spearheading the Pentax firmware hack operation.
11-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I wouldn't call him another troll, he seems to be spearheading the Pentax firmware hack operation.
A troll by any other name is still a troll. If it smells like a troll, and it acts like a troll, its a troll. (his comments are argumentative for the sake of argument)

Anyway, I'll have to take your word for his credentials... but for someone who needs to get that in depth with software, he has quite the lack of understanding of how to look at a subject and break it down logically to properly determine how to go about an investigation. This sort of critical thinking should be trivial for someone who is comfortable with reverse engineering firmware or handling such a project.

As I've said, his comments are argumentative for the sake of argument. I would not put a lot of trust in the work coming from such a person. I've been doing software development and quality assurance for the better part of 30 years and I've seen companies fall apart when its leaders have that sort of attitude. I would wish to neither work with nor for such a person.

I wish them all good luck.
11-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Maybe first start with an analysis how ACTUALLY each of the sensors work - where, why and if at all you should expect such differences to happen.
how many of you have actually seen TRUE raw sensor output directly from ADC?