Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

And it doesn't do this with AF lenses?

11-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone know if aperture blades are sticky if the camera will wait till it stops down completely or just take a picture in the middle of them closing down?

Change the green button to DoF optical preview and see if using this is also slow. Then take the lens off the camera and see if the blades stop down from f/2 to f/22 quickly and instantly.
11-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

This does seem odd. Once you have the lens off the camera, and you set the lens to F22, you should be able to open the blades with your finger using the tab that sticks out a bit on the back of the lens. It should be almost effort free. If it is not, then that could be causing your grief.

When the lens is back on the camera, and you are in A mode and set the F stop to 22 (using the camera or you can just set it manually to F22), and you look directly into the lens while you try to take a picture, you should see the blades quickly close when the mirror goes up. They should open again when the mirror goes down.

Or it could be that there is something wrong with the camera.... You could take your lens into a camera shop and try it on another K-x??
11-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #19
pjr

Original Poster
thanks for taking time to troubleshoot this weird problem.

smc, Eruditass,

I tried the tab on lens to check aperture blades.. I only feel the spring resistance. The blades close and open fine. I don't see anything getting stuck.

Also when I press shutter button with no lens.. I see a small tab on the hand grip side of the camera going up and down. I believe it controls the aperture blades.

But when I look thru the lens when taking picture.. I don't think I see the aperture blades closing. They are wide open. I only see mirror moving up..waiting for few sec and goes down. No picture taken.

deadwolfbones,

Its working good with kit lenses. 18-55, 55-300.

11-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjr Quote
thanks for taking time to troubleshoot this weird problem.

smc, Eruditass,

I tried the tab on lens to check aperture blades.. I only feel the spring resistance. The blades close and open fine. I don't see anything getting stuck.

Also when I press shutter button with no lens.. I see a small tab on the hand grip side of the camera going up and down. I believe it controls the aperture blades.

But when I look thru the lens when taking picture.. I don't think I see the aperture blades closing. They are wide open. I only see mirror moving up..waiting for few sec and goes down. No picture taken.
If it's set to F22 you should be able to see them close. If you push and hold the green button do they close?(they should) Is there someone near you that has a manual lens you can try (so we can narrow down if it is the lens or camera)?
11-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Try the optical preview green button settings and hold it down, the iris should stay closed down until you let go.
11-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #22
pjr

Original Poster
I believe I might have found the issue. Please cehck these photos...

http://picasaweb.google.com/pjrphotos/Lensproblem?authkey=Gv1sRgCMnG6ayRueqH...00182975563842

It seems like the aperture tab on the 50mm lens is bent and the lever that lifts it is missing the tab.

Please confirm if this can be issue... I am planning to bend this tab.. no sure if it breaks or not. Any insight will be appreciated.

11-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Yes..it looks bent. Not sure if it will break....but I wouldn't think so if you are careful.....and don't overdo it...
11-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #24
pjr

Original Poster
Well.. great news.. it worked.

bunch of thanks for your time, advice and support. . Now I feel like I know a lot about lenses

I was so worried that I had a problem with K-x. now it works smooth.
11-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Looking forward to seeing you post some pics!
11-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Good to hear it worked out. Hope you take some great photos with that lens.

Those older Pentax 50mm lenses are great. I was just using my SMC M 50mm 1.7 on my K-x, and am always amazed at how sharp it is, even completely wide open. I must use that lens more.
11-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjr Quote
Well.. great news.. it worked.

bunch of thanks for your time, advice and support. . Now I feel like I know a lot about lenses

I was so worried that I had a problem with K-x. now it works smooth.
curious, this must have jammed the mechanism in the body. Can't be all that good for the body if you do this too often.
11-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
curious, this must have jammed the mechanism in the body. Can't be all that good for the body if you do this too often.

I'm guessing it missed the tab on the len and the Kx then got confused with the metering on the shot.....
11-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #29
pjr

Original Poster
smc

you are right.. the lever was missing the tab and the camera doesn't know what to do. So it waits and waits then give up.

Anyway.. I am good now. I got this pentax 50mm f2 and a takumar 50mm 1.4. Played around with those lenses and got these.