Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #1

How to use old pentax lenses on K-x?

I got a 50mm f2 pentax-A lens. I put K-x in Manual mode, enabled the option 22 in C menu. But all I can see is mirror flapping up and down, nothing else.

Could you please tell me what I am missing. What other settings I need to change?

11-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjr Quote
But all I can see is mirror flapping up and down, nothing else.
What do you mean by this?

Generally, once you've enabled "Using aperture ring" in the custom menu and set the camera to manual, you set your aperture and shutter speed (either manually or automatically with the green button), focus, and snap away.
11-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
pjr

Original Poster
I did the following..

1. I put on the 50mm f2 pentax-A lens
2. Enable teh use aperture ring function
3. Switch off and on the camera
4. Camera asks for focal length.. I select 50mm
5. Now I can see F-- and shutter speed on the screen
6. When I press Green button and rotate teh wheel.. I can see the shutter value changing. (but view finder is dark -seems mirror lifted up and stuck there)
7. When I press shutter button.. I see brief movement of mirror then view finder is dark for a few seconds then mirror comes down.
8. After this..whatever button I press.. mirror keeps on going up and down.(even menu or directional buttons move the mirror)
11-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Are you using LiveView?

11-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
pjr

Original Poster
no...

I was following these instructions..
K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs] [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
11-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should display the aperture with an A lens. Is your aperture ring in the "A" position and not one of the numbers?
11-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
pjr

Original Poster
Perfect... thanks

It was not on A. There was a small button to press to put it in A. I missed it.

Now it displays both aperture and shutter. Was able to take picture.
11-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Glad you found the problem! Enjoy!

11-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
pjr

Original Poster
Now the problem is I can only take picture at F2.0. Other apertures doesn't work

how to fix it?
11-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

are you saying that you cant control the aperture using the wheeldial on the camera to control the aperture? once its set to A thats how you control the aperture.
11-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

In manual mode, you should be able to hold +/- and change the e-dial (or you can push it once to move the highlighted box to aperture).

In Av mode it should change it with just the e-dial.

What mode are you using?
11-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
pjr

Original Poster
I can change the aperture. But if I set to anything other than f2.0.. it doesn't take picture.

For example: If I set aperture to 2.8 or 4, when I press shutter button the viewfinder becomes blank as teh mirror flip up.. then it says for 3-4 seconds then mirror comes down. But no picture taken.
11-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thats odd, what are the shutter speeds it says it will be shooting with?

Sounds like it is in self-timer mode when you do that. Does the same thing happen when you take pictures in LiveView?
11-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

With a manual focus lens with an A setting, the camera should be able to function (except for AF mode) as it would with the kit lens or any other AF lens.

From the description it sounds almost as if the camera is going into live view, You need to turn this off. I find on my K7 the live view button is a little too easy to push.

next , is the AF switch set to single, continuous or manual. If the AF is set to single, the shutter won't trip at all unless you are in focus. For manual focus lenses you need to be set to AF-C or AF off.

If you take the lens oout of the A position (and use aperture ring is set) then in Av mode the lens will only shoot wide open. In manual mode, you can meter by selecting DOF and adjusting shutter to match what ever aperture you have, or the AE button to stop the lens down, and take a reading.
11-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
pjr

Original Poster
I checked "self-timer" , set auto focus to "AF-C" , also camera is not in live view. Lens is in A setting.

Basically I can only take pictures at F2.0(max aperture). Any other aperture, camera gets stuck anywhere between 3-6 seconds and after that , I have to stop/start it. Otherwise it keeps on flipping the mirror up and down, no matter what button you press.

Also the shutter speeds are below 1 sec. 1/40th 1/100 etc. I am setting shutter speeds to these. (this doesn't matter to the camera if aperture is more than 2.0, it takes 3-6 sec and does nothing)